speedo needle position

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

speedo needle position

Postby snowaxe » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi, newbie to fto's but old school north american muscle car. My problem is that when i purchased the fto the chip to change to mph had been done but the dial had not been changed. I ordered a new dial and in my haste to get it fitted, i pulled off the speedo needle without marking it's position. I now can't seem to get it into the correct position. I turned on the ignition and placed it to 0 mph but doesn't seem to be reading correctly. Any hints, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. That'll learn me to be in such a rush!

:?
snowaxe
1st gear
1st gear

Re: speedo needle position

Postby Baroncell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:33 am

did u try resetting the ecu? dunno if it helps but worth a try! :smt003
“Be Gone, and take the planet with you”
Baroncell
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:12 am

Ever get that sorted? What dials did you use?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby holio » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Think you could be waiting a while for a response, OP posted it in july and never posted anything again.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:45 pm

The op was online when I posted. He must have lost his submit button
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby snowaxe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:45 am

Hi, managed to get it back into it's original position but for some reason it reads 10 mph over as it always has done since i bought the car. I bought a lockwood dial and tried that with the same result. The car, i believe is chipped as the mileage clocks in miles. I also noticed that when i am doing 30 mph (reads 40 on speedo) the needle is in a different location to where 30 is on other fto speedos that i have seen. I stuck with the original dial as it was exactly 10 mph out. Not sure why it reads that way but one day i may get a new chip and see if that corrects the problem.

I do check the new posts on the forum as well as using the search function so i tend not to post very much if the subject i am looking for has been covered. It usually has and i get my answers that way! I'm a man of few words until i have something important to say.

8)
snowaxe
1st gear
1st gear

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:35 am

From what I remember, you need to remove the needle with the ignition on and the cluster plugged in.

I had similar issues when changing over the faes on the blue fto. By the time I got the silver one I knew the craic
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:44 pm

holio wrote:Think you could be waiting a while for a response, OP posted it in july and never posted anything again.

Well what are the odds :)

Anyway, I would try colms suggestion first. Failing that, remove the chip and see what the results are. If the chip is the problem, your speedo will read in kilometres properly. For me, having a car reading in kilometres is important and I'm real fussy that way, but I would never chip an MPH to read KPH because I believe the odometer reading becomes inaccurate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby snowaxe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:07 pm

OK, now for the dumb question, where exactly is the chip? I've seen something that looks like the chip near the front of the engine on the passenger side on top of what looks like the transmission, would that be it? Next dumb question would be, if i remove the chip, do i not have to replace it with a kmh one?

I lost interest in cars once they went all computerized! :lol:
snowaxe
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical