could my mistress be dead?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

could my mistress be dead?

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:36 am

ok guys can anyone help? just b4 xmas i was driving my fto and all of a sudden there was a flapping sound and she died on me. she is a 95 GR tippy. it seems that part of the power steering belt rode off a pully and sheered of a piece of belt. right between the belts is a wire going to the throttle body, could this have been severed. im praying it didnt go under the timeing belt, if it did my FTO days are over. i had just got the belts all changed inc. timeing and tensioner a month before.

im getting the guy who done the belts to have a look at it, but im expecting the worst

im thinking if she done for just to break her because there is 4 new shocks and 4 new apexi springs aswell as full powerflow exhaust and stainless down pipes, GPX breaks with grooved n dimpled disc`s. samco hoses, carbon fiber fan shroud. polished rocker covers and phlenum, then i could scrap the body(could be the sale of the century for you guys). this is really breaking my heart as ive had her for a daily driver for near 5 years now and im being reduced to a 1.1 106 to try and save a lil money.

any help or advice more than welcome. but im not pouring any more money into her as it is not worth it in my opinion unless its an easy fix
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Re: could my mistress be dead?

Postby Uncle B » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:44 am

I'm probably wrong but think I can recall the crank angle sensor being somewhere in that vicinity.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm/deny.
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby steelroe » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:48 am

Common problem on the FTO, (usually due to high revving) is for the alt belt to rip and the crank position sensor wires get damaged. The root cause of this broblem is worn bearing on the belt tensioner, where under high revs the pulley wobbles badly and the belt is ripped to shreds.
Sensor is a pain to replace as the crank pulley and timing belt covers have to be removed. I have previously soldered the wires back together and covered the joints with shrink sleeving
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:39 pm

it was a new belt only a few weeks before and apart fron the bit on the side wer it came off the pully the belt is like new. it didnt happen under heavy revving i was doing about 20mph at the time. just heard a flap flap then revs died and power steering went heavy. was lucky enough to have enough momentum to get into a side street. hope it is a simple fix like crank censor as said
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby verzonr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:13 am

MY-JAP-MISTRESS wrote:it was a new belt only a few weeks before and apart fron the bit on the side wer it came off the pully the belt is like new. it didnt happen under heavy revving i was doing about 20mph at the time. just heard a flap flap then revs died and power steering went heavy. was lucky enough to have enough momentum to get into a side street. hope it is a simple fix like crank censor as said

i drove my old gpx from carrickfergus where it got new pullies and belts to the hilton in templepatrick (20mins ish) few 60mph roads... belt started flapping when i was parking and died when ticking over.... it took out the dam wire ... some wire for 50p it was fixed lol (who you know) took a age to get it home tho :/ but fora week i was bricking it thinking it was dead
verzonr
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical