manual gearbox fooked

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

manual gearbox fooked

Postby ebrewer89 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:25 pm

have decided not to sell :D but she is is a little sick as of the last couple of weeks it is starting to pop out of fourth, and has a very noticeable whine in fifth witch just started happening out of nowhere. it didn't gradually get worse it just came out of nowhere,i changed the gear oil and put in gear oil treatment but has made no difference, so im guessing i need a new box now. i also need to do the timing belt so im toying with the idea of buying a rotten or crashed gpx and swapping engine and gearbox as it may be cheaper and easier than buying a box and getting the belt done as mine is fairly high mileage anyway.just wandering what you guys thoughts would be on this?
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: manual gearbox fooked

Postby Kace » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Sounds like a good idea to buy a breaker, however full engine replacement is a bit extreme isn't it ? Gearbox swap and timing belt replacement would be fine I would have thought.

All you need is some space to put the donor car and some time to take it to bits / sell / scrap.

Bear in mind that the market for FTO parts is mightly slim - unless of course you have a pristine centre console 8)
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Gearbox swap and timing belt with water pump replacement would be my choice.

Buying rotten GPX is like gambling, U might buy better engine than Yours but what if U'll get some surprise like Your gearbox problem popped up??

Double fooked!

Bits to do the belt change would cost U lot less than replacement engine anyway!
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby mivecrx » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:36 am

If your engine is good then change the timing belt(kit & pump), get a replacement gearbox or recon your existing one(would cost a few bob).

If you need other parts too they should be cheap and easy to get.
mivecrx
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby ebrewer89 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:55 am

yes probably doing the belt and pump is the best idea since i no the engine and what's been done and when also.does anyone no how much roughly and where ya might get your box recond?would be nice to do and would be a great peace of mind if not tooo painful on the pocket. :)
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby mivecrx » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:32 pm

ebrewer89 wrote:ydoes anyone no how much roughly and where ya might get your box recond?would be nice to do and would be a great peace of mind if not tooo painful on the pocket. :)

500-1000 depending what needs doing, that's if you can get someone to do it.
mivecrx

Postby gt94 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:06 am

I paid 1300 I think for my gearbox re-furb and new clutch on my 95 gpx. Labour was the most of the bill. Red cow gearbox was the garage. http://www.redcowgearboxcentre.com
gt94
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby mivecrx » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:25 am

Tommy from redcowgearboxs was the only man who said he would change the final drive in my mivec box, however I got a recond box of him for a 2006 almera and it was crap so I wouldn't trust him.

1300 was allot, it must have needed a full recon of bearings and synchros. Probably a Mitsubishi dealer job for the synchros.
mivecrx

Postby ebrewer89 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:32 pm

wow thats a little on the pricey side alright.was hoping for closer to 600.might look more into a colt mivec box conversion as they are more readily available,am i right in thinking a would need the flywheel and drives from the colt aswell?
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby mivecrx » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:06 pm

ebrewer89 wrote:wow thats a little on the pricey side alright.was hoping for closer to 600.might look more into a colt mivec box conversion as they are more readily available,am i right in thinking a would need the flywheel and drives from the colt aswell?

You would need the Mirage gearbox and clutch,flywheel and inner cv cups used with your drives.

I have an rs box(lsd) and flywheel here if your interested, then you would need to get the rest. An exedy organic clutch can be got for about 230-250 new and cv cups or even full drives would be cheap and easy get. All could be done for around the 600 you were thinking of spending and your car would be faster(4.625 final drive and lsd) and have a new upgraded clutch.
mivecrx

Postby ebrewer89 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:32 pm

thats great yes i would be interested in the box and flywheel alright,how much would you want for the 2?i can get mivec shafts from a breaker i no so that would be sound if can just swap them in along with your gearbox?.ive been wanting an rs box since i bought the car its just never been priority.pm me with a price and i will get back to you as soon as possible :D
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby mivecrx » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:39 pm

I think you only need the inner cups and use your fto drives, ask seb he knows. @brccrx dno if that works here

Pm you know.
mivecrx

Postby brccrx » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:13 am

ebrewer89 wrote:thats great yes i would be interested in the box and flywheel alright,how much would you want for the 2?i can get mivec shafts from a breaker i no so that would be sound if can just swap them in along with your gearbox?.ive been wanting an rs box since i bought the car its just never been priority.pm me with a price and i will get back to you as soon as possible :D

U'll never, ever, will want any other gearbox when U try the 1.6 one :)
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby oakleaf » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:17 am

I can testify changing gearbox will seem like a godsend but the top end will be affected
I'd bet you won't be able to go over 125 mph but the acceleration will be better

I agree that it would be better for normal driving as you'll be able to lunch most std FWD cars off the line
(Excl rear wheel drive)
oakleaf
1st gear
1st gear

Postby ebrewer89 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:04 pm

As the car is still limited I dont think it wil be a problem with top end atal.revs wil be higher in fifth but that is not a problem either.i think top end delimited would be closer to 140 with the rs box as the gpx box is geared to 168 wich is just stupid but lovely for cruiseing.all I need now is a mirage exedy clutch and inner cv joints :D
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby mivecrx » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:25 pm

A mirage will do well over 140mph so the fto will have no top end problem with a mirage box.
mivecrx

Postby ebrewer89 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Do I need rs drives for that box or will standard colt/mirage mivec inners fit? Also what year model of clutch will fit?
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby mivecrx » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:24 am

Any mivec cups will fit, 96-00.
mivecrx

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Lovely.thanks :D