Fto vs mirage?

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fto vs mirage?

Postby goz_83 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:50 am

mivecrx wrote:
goz_83 wrote:I assume the mirage was stripped out too?

Yeah the mirage has no back seats but a has a full paded roll cage.

I think maybe a manual fto will make for a very close race even tho we done both stop and rolling start with the auto, I would like to race a manual Fto mivec with my mirage if anyone wants too?

I would for the craic, but i wouldn't be arsed stripping anything out. If the results were similar to the races you had, then it would certainly show that a stripped out manual gpx might just show off some tail to the mirage.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:54 am

goz_83 wrote:I would for the craic, but i wouldn't be arsed stripping anything out. If the results were similar to the races you had, then it would certainly show that a stripped out manual gpx might just show off some tail to the mirage.

That's the spirit :smt023

It was like 5 car lengts and maybe the fto got to 3 at one stage and that was a stripped out fto, Do you think manual would pick up that much? I hope so.
I'll send you the video tomorrow if you want?
mivecrx
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby goz_83 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:29 am

mivecrx wrote:
goz_83 wrote:I would for the craic, but i wouldn't be arsed stripping anything out. If the results were similar to the races you had, then it would certainly show that a stripped out manual gpx might just show off some tail to the mirage.

It was like 5 car lengts and maybe the fto got to 3 at one stage and that was a stripped out fto, Do you think manual would pick up that much? I hope so.

Video would be good. I bet most of the gap was gained at the start. That should answer your question.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:32 am

yeah your right, the mirage was much quicker off the line and even 1st and 2nd fro a rolling start.
mivecrx

Postby brccrx » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:04 pm

If ye two ever does the little attempt let me know please, i want to be there :)

Wheres my movie boi? :twisted:

Stop saying oven and over that was 5 lengths difference, will ya :mrgreen:

It was half stripped FTO haha i've still plenty weight to rid off 8)

goz_83 wrote:
mivecrx wrote:

Video would be good. I bet most of the gap was gained at the start. That should answer your question.

Yes with the auto box i was starting from 850-900 revs while in Mirage U could do hand brake half clutch start, im guessing from 4k revs?

Could try to hold the brake and rev the engine to about 3k but i decided not to do that, that could help but till its done U wont know lol. If he ever fix that horn that will be great 8)
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby mivecrx » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:13 pm

brccrx wrote:If ye two ever does the little attempt let me know please, i want to be there :)

Wheres my movie boi? :twisted:

Stop saying oven and over that was 5 lengths difference, will ya :mrgreen:

It was half stripped FTO haha i've still plenty weight to rid off 8)

You can be there as video boy haha although you'll need something quicker to keep up.

Still waiting on Brian to send the movie :roll:

It was 5 lengths no problem, Why what do you think it was?
As for the weight issue well their two different cars so their not supposed to weigh the same, If you saying yours wasn't stripped out as much as mine well the mirage has a roll cage and I'm probably twice the weight of you.

I launched the car at 3k rpm so I would obviously have an advantage being manual( that's why i want to race fto manual). Rolling start what happened there?
mivecrx

Postby brccrx » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:05 pm

To many questions that ive no answer to hahaha and i knew U'll mention about the roll cage finally :r Im not saying Yours was stripped, just that ive still plenty to rid off hehe.
It is what it is, nothing will change that so just to compare it will be great to try Mirage against manual FTO.

But that U so heavy Yourself its new to me :smt003 im near 100 kg myself so what are U 150 kg?? :smt006

Sure send me the video/videos when U get em.

Im the best on making an excuses and thats a fact haha but in memory i have picture of Your car about 3 lengths away from mine, rolling start i think it was the closest one and about 2 lengths just bout 26-28 feet away. I can be wrong but 5 lengths is about 70 feet so its over 20m that would be a huge gap, sure i would remember that :mrgreen:

I was quite close to mirage every time.

Ah sure we can always do it again as i didn't record the whole event this time lol. I should have of do that but we went to the business without an delay lol

One more thing to add 8) Fix that fecking horn will ya :lol:
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby mivecrx » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Your right the Mirage is just a lighter car. I'm not surer how you can weigh 100kg if I'm the same :shock:

I'd say your almost spot on at 3 car lengths between us, I'd say a good manual will make a tight race.

When Patryk's at yours are ye going to do some "dueling"? Beep Beep 8)

Video for you soon!
mivecrx

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:40 pm

I've driven a lightly modded Mirage RS and owned a couple of Manual Mivec FTO's.
The main advantage the Mirage has is with its gearing and much lower weight - if you stripped the FTO to match the Mirages weight then its advantage FTO.
The FTO has much better top end but its going to be close in a 1/4 mile type sprint.
There won't be (or at least shouldn't be) more than .2 to .5 sec in a 1/4 mile sprint.

The V6 FTO does sound and look a lot better though. Has to be said that only a manual mivec FTO will get a look in - Tiptronics won't be at the races.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:I've driven a lightly modded Mirage RS and owned a couple of Manual Mivec FTO's.
The main advantage the Mirage has is with its gearing and much lower weight - if you stripped the FTO to match the Mirages weight then its advantage FTO.
The FTO has much better top end but its going to be close in a 1/4 mile type sprint.
There won't be (or at least shouldn't be) more than .2 to .5 sec in a 1/4 mile sprint.

The V6 FTO does sound and look a lot better though. Has to be said that only a manual mivec FTO will get a look in - Tiptronics won't be at the races.

Whats lightly modded? I suppose an exhaust and decat?
Your 100% right about the gearing, a mirage has a 4.625fd which gives it a great edge on the FTO.
What speed would you get to in a 1/4mile? 160kph maybe 170kph?

I also think a manual Fto will be a good race with a mirage Rs or Zr, are auto's really that slow?
mivecrx

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 pm

mivecrx wrote:
I also think a manual Fto will be a good race with a mirage Rs or Zr, are auto's really that slow?

YES
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:52 pm

mivecrx wrote:Whats lightly modded? I suppose an exhaust and decat?

Nah - a bit better than that (downpipes/FPR/aftermarket ECU) but all just NA mods plus it was on coilovers with other susp mods like strut braces etc - actually drove really well and I was genuinely surprise by the level of performance. What really struck me was how light it felt.

mivecrx wrote:What speed would you get to in a 1/4mile? 160kph maybe 170kph? ..

In an FTO you would be doing very well indeed to get to a terminal speed of 160kph in a 1/4 mile - I was doing a 14.7 sec 1/4 at 93 mph (149kph). You would want a lot more power to see a 160kph+ terminal speed.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
Nah - a bit better than that (downpipes/FPR/aftermarket ECU) but all just NA mods plus it was on coilovers with other susp mods like strut braces etc - actually drove really well and I was genuinely surprise by the level of performance. What really struck me was how light it felt.

In an FTO you would be doing very well indeed to get to a terminal speed of 160kph in a 1/4 mile - I was doing a 14.7 sec 1/4 at 93 mph (149kph). You would want a lot more power to see a 160kph+ terminal speed.

All mirage mivec's come with a 4-2-1 manifold, the rs one is slightly bigger than zr. My guess would be thta's the one on the car you drove because it's next to impossible get upgraded ones. Same thing goes for an upgraded ecu. I was thinking of mapping mine on an Apexi neo just to get the fueling spot on.
They are a light car and a good one will pull the standard 172bhp which makes for a quick car.

That's not a bad 1/4 mile time you got, so to 150kph( 1/4mile) the mirage should have the edge.
mivecrx

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 pm

mivecrx wrote:...That's not a bad 1/4 mile time you got, so to 150kph( 1/4mile) the mirage should have the edge.

Actually don't agree - the FTO's top end power would mean that it would see 150kph before the Mirage.
Haven't seen any Mirage RS's get much into the 14's in the 1/4 mile and while they have an advantage off the line their terminal speed would be more likely to be less than 150kph.

Faster 1/4 mile times don't necessarily equate to faster terminal speeds and vice versa.

For instance in my SC Zed (420bhp) I could run 13's with a terminal speed of close on 200kph.
Problem was that wasn't much faster than my previous NA (276bhp) Zed.

But add in a set of R888's and a Kaaz diff and while my terminal speed was broadly similar I knocked almost a second from my 1/4 mile time and could be far more consistent.

The only way to know is a head to head on the same track with the same conditions.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:16 pm

Well I've never before seen a mirage mivec do a timed 1/4mile in Ireland, can't argue with you there so.

Only way to see for sure is both cars on a drag strip like you say.
mivecrx

Postby brccrx » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:31 am

mivecrx wrote:Well I've never before seen a mirage mivec do a timed 1/4mile in Ireland, can't argue with you there so.

Where could i go to do timed 1/4 mile in Ireland?
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:38 am

brccrx wrote:
mivecrx wrote:Well I've never before seen a mirage mivec do a timed 1/4mile in Ireland, can't argue with you there so.

Where could i go to do timed 1/4 mile in Ireland?

No dedicated drag strip per se - just keep an eye out for events run during the year (although not so much in these recession times) - the likes of Japfest in Mondello etc

Otherwise just go on one of the many trackdays that are held in Mondello - would tell you far more about your car than any 1/4 mile.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:12 pm

To answer the topic question, FTO with RS gearbox is about 10 lengts faster on the straight line than Mirage 1.6 RS hatch :)

5 speed tip is about lenght behind maybe more as the RS 1.6, RS is bit faster from taking off but tip FTO with better driver could do defo better with breaking start if someone doesnt like his gearbox :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby mivecrx » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:58 am

10 lengths is a huge exaggeration!!!!

A gsr lancer is faster than an fto with rs box and the gsr is 10 lengths faster than a mirage. Don't work out Sebski ?
mivecrx

Postby goz_83 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:31 am

mivecrx wrote:10 lengths is a huge exaggeration!!!!

A gsr lancer is faster than an fto with rs box and the gsr is 10 lengths faster than a mirage. Don't work out Sebski ?

Yeah but the lancer wasn't in the question :ll

10 lengths? Sounds about right :smt005
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:21 am

goz_83 wrote:

What would you know about it?..All you do is drive to the spray booth, Dulux would find it hard to keep up with all the paint you use.

Anyway not much racing talk Seb or Columbo be calling the gardai :smt002
mivecrx

Postby goz_83 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:10 pm

mivecrx wrote:
goz_83 wrote:

What would you know about it?..All you do is drive to the spray booth, Dulux would find it hard to keep up with all the paint you use.

Anyway not much racing talk Seb or Columbo be calling the gardai :smt002

Sounds like the mirage was going too slow for the Gardai to take any notice. :lol:

@seb: thats some serious hours you've put into the fto. What would the outcome be for stock cars? No mods, no removing seats etc etc.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Great work Seb!... like we found out, the 6a12 with the mods you've done are good to go, better than stock 4g92. I must bring out the new bus for a run soon.
BTW, why did you change the box? is it hybrid style(ski) ? LOL
Last edited by mivecrx on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mivecrx

Postby goz_83 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:42 pm

I would have to go with the 3am cover of darkness thing. But skanger racing ain't my scene, so I'll stick to the dulux runs. That race must have really hurt your pride. Didn't mean to step on a nerve. I'll be more careful if you lose again. No need to be all ants in the pants. My post was not supposed to annoy you. It was friendly fun. I'll leave it at that. Happy racing in future.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:50 pm

goz_83 wrote:I would have to go with the 3am cover of darkness thing. But skanger racing ain't my scene, so I'll stick to the dulux runs. That race must have really hurt your pride. Didn't mean to step on a nerve. I'll be more careful if you lose again. No need to turn into a nob. My post was not supposed to annoy you. It was friendly fun. I'll leave it at that. Happy racing in future.

What race?, it wasn't my mirage Seb raced(beat), so I'm not annoyed haha.

Just joking too! No need to fall out or call names.
mivecrx

PreviousNext

Return to General FTO Discussion