Heater Only Blows Hot Air

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Heater Only Blows Hot Air

Postby brianfto » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:52 am

Had this car for 8months now and I cant find out why it wont blow cold air with air con on or off. Now with this heat its now top of my list to sort. Any help would be much appriciated before I waste away in this heat. Thanks for any help
brianfto
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Heater Only Blows Hot Air

Postby brccrx » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:56 pm

There little electric motored flaps controlled by the aircond computer, it seems that the one controlling the hot/air mix has hive up.

One way or another it mean dashboard out to repair or replace broken parts.

Welcome to the site!
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby brianfto » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks that was what I was not hoping to hear. Now where can I find a manaul to take this apart or is it a case of follow my nose and hope it all goes back together?
brianfto
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Kace » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:30 pm

brccrx wrote:There little electric motored flaps controlled by the aircond computer, it seems that the one controlling the hot/air mix has hive up.

Welcome to the site!

You're kidding right :-&

When the aircon is turned on, surely there should be no hot air emitted, irrespective of any fancy flaps you are referencing.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brianfto » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:37 pm

If i put the air con and turn it to cold i still get hot air and its very hot. same as if i dont put the air con on and turn it down. I will check the flaps any way now i have found where they should be. Still welcome any ideas. Thanks for the help so far. Oh i have found the manuals on here. Wish i checked this place out 8 months ago
brianfto
1st gear
1st gear

Postby gt94 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Air con needs re-filling maybe
gt94
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby brccrx » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Kace wrote:
brccrx wrote:There little electric motored flaps controlled by the aircond computer, it seems that the one controlling the hot/air mix has hive up.

Welcome to the site!

You're kidding right :-&

When the aircon is turned on, surely there should be no hot air emitted, irrespective of any fancy flaps you are referencing.

Im dead serious Kace :)

@ brian, the dash is easy to remove but its just time consuming if U dont want to break anything. Be aware of hidden bolts at very left and very right sides (behind the vents or speaker covers) of the dash and try not to break the center console.

The flap im on about is located inside the blower Unit if remember good, do U want me to do pics of removed whole aircond unit to point where to look for it?

Good news be if thats only stuck and can be freed up, bad news if the motor or loom is the fault.

Before U'll go at it U can test the system to make sure U need to alter to the A/C unit!!!

If u dont have two left hands this job is level 4 on 10 of my car maintenance difficulty scale :)
Best of luck.

Seb.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby brianfto » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:50 pm

Many thanks for all the advice I will have a go at this over the weekend, How along approx should need to get this apart and back so I can drive it as needed for work (Not necessarily completely together). Any pics would be great if you have time just in case.
brianfto
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Kace » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Not sure that I would pull apart the car without first bring sure that your AC doesn't just need to be regassed. You should search on here for this first.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Kace wrote:Not sure that I would pull apart the car without first bring sure that your AC doesn't just need to be regassed. You should search on here for this first.

True! Thats why U can try to test the system to see whats wrong with it!

@ Brian, pics up in 5-10 min if thats ok?
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby brccrx » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:13 pm

Sorry i was wrong, the flap im on about its not in the blower unit!!!

Blower unit looks something like this:

also have the flaps controlled by motors but none of them control air temperature.

The flap is in this one instead:

And as U can see mine is fully closed for the cold air only so Yours will be stuck in the the right if U get me

Motor that control air temperature

linked to the flap:

Seb.
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby brianfto » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:52 pm

Well decided to start taking it apart tonight and you were spot on. Discovered the flap motor wasnt broken but the bar connectinng the motor to flap had been disconnected, and now I have cold air at last. So i'll get it re-gassed this wekend to get really cold. So then connected up the oil temperature gauge that had never worked. So a really productive night. So many thanks for all the advice and pics it really helped.
brianfto
1st gear
1st gear

Postby brccrx » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:10 pm

Good job! :ll

U're welcome Brian. Im really glad that i could help and i had all the bits lying around to do the pics so there was nothing that hard to do :)

Seb.
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Return to FTO Technical