Seized Calliper

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Seized Calliper

Postby Kace » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:48 pm

CJ - you had a seized brake calliper before didn't you ? If so what was the symptom. I think I may have one, there is a grinding / minor knocking noise coming from front end.

I changed the brake pads a couple of weeks ago so it may be them but I have booked in for my annual service anyway next week to sort it out. I have decided not to drive this week though as a precaution.

Any ideas ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Seized Calliper

Postby CJ » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:14 am

Kace wrote:CJ - you had a seized brake calliper before didn't you ? If so what was the symptom. I think I may have one, there is a grinding / minor knocking noise coming from front end.

In my case, there was a clunking coming from one of the brakes, when I hit the brakes, it seemed that only one wheel was locking up. When I removed the caliper and pressed the brake pedal, only one of the pistons was pushed out. I got a of G-clamp and pushed the working piston down, this in raised tthe problematic piston to the extent that I could (gently) remove it with a vice grips. I then cleaned it up with some emery cloth, oiled everything back up with brake fluid, replced the seals and put it back in place. This worked for me but it might not do the job for you, you may need a new set of seals.

I assume you've checked droplinks and suspension bushes etc?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kace » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:24 pm

Thanks. I haven't actually had time to check anything. I'll hopefully do some checking over the weekend but then drop up to Paul for the annual service anyway.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby pergau » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:18 pm

I had a siezed caliper recently and the only hint was that the brakes would sieze on the wheel slightly overnight so when I went to reverse out of the yard the near side front wheel would jerk and them move freely.
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby Kace » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:57 am

False alarm on the seized calliper - several of my wheel nuts had actually worked their way loose after I had changed the pads. Moral is that when you tighten bolts back up, go back and check them after 20 miles or so to make sure that they are still secure ....... :oops:
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:55 am

Kace wrote:False alarm on the seized calliper - several of my wheel nuts had actually worked their way loose after I had changed the pads. Moral is that when you tighten bolts back up, go back and check them after 20 miles or so to make sure that they are still secure ....... :oops:

that's scary - that happened to me once after I had some new tyres fitted so another moral is, if anyone ever removes your wheels it's a good idea to check that they tightened the bolts properly.....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:05 pm

shane wrote:
Kace wrote:False alarm on the seized calliper - several of my wheel nuts had actually worked their way loose after I had changed the pads. Moral is that when you tighten bolts back up, go back and check them after 20 miles or so to make sure that they are still secure ....... :oops:

that's scary - that happened to me once after I had some new tyres fitted so another moral is, if anyone ever removes your wheels it's a good idea to check that they tightened the bolts properly.....

Ya, good idea to check it in case they over-tightened too, I've had bolts I was jumping up and down on the wheel brace to get loose and it just wasn't happening, needed a breaker bar to shift them. Wouldn't have been much fun at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere!

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Return to FTO Technical