Intercoolers

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Intercoolers

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:45 pm

Alright folks,
well this is the only part now that is outstanding, has anyone any ideas on the size of intercooler that could be fitting into the fron of a standard FTO bumper?

we're fitting the smaller easier parts over the next few weeks, FSE fuel pressure regulator, larger injectors, pulleys, thermo fans, the rest basically hinges on getting an intercooler in and the piping plumbed in! have a nice new K&N Ram pod filter to attach up as well!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:33 pm

If your not running a huge amount of boost i think the best thing to do is get one from a performance car that someone has upgraded e.g evo, skyline gtr (which has a huge standard one). The cooler in carolines skyline as standard is a small thing in the arch liner and thats 280 bhp as standard so you probably wont want a huge one.
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:35 pm

yeah i was looking into a second hand one from an evo or something but it's just the hassles of finding one, especially in this country! but we will be running probably 7-10psi of boost.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:03 pm

Dave wrote:yeah i was looking into a second hand one from an evo or something but it's just the hassles of finding one, especially in this country! but we will be running probably 7-10psi of boost.

I would imagine that the intercooler from a 1.8GSR Lancer would be the most suitable.

This guy took one from a Nissan Silvia -
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.net/reviews/c ... rocket.htm

Speaking of Turbo FTO's - I quite like this one - read all about it on a recent Jap Performance magazine -
http://www.linney.org/stock11fto.htm
On sale in UK at the moment for almost 11K GBP thats €15,700 before adding on the tax etc for a 95 GR with a turbo (gulp!).
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:23 pm

the first one is a bit of a beast! just shows the problems with the mivec engine! that's why the GR is soooo much easier to turbo! but can you imagine trying to source a nissan silvia intercooler! and the second one (GR) doesn't seem to have an intercooler!

still at a loss!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical