Toyota MR2 Mk1 (AW11)

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Toyota MR2 Mk1 (AW11)

Postby Mustang » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:55 am

Anyone any thoughts or experiences? Yes it's looking dated now, but I think that's part of the charm.
I'm thinking this would be an ideal prospect to run as a second car :idea:
Classic insurance, being a toyota should be relibable, 1.6L so reasonable tax/fuel costs, light, nimble rwd 8)
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Toyota MR2 Mk1 (AW11)

Postby soc » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:10 am

From what I've heard about them they are a great driving car - they're supercharged too, ain't they? That would be mucho fun, just up the boots slightly and away you go :twisted:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Toyota MR2 Mk1 (AW11)

Postby Mustang » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:28 am

shane wrote:From what I've heard about them they are a great driving car - they're supercharged too, ain't they? That would be mucho fun, just up the boots slightly and away you go :twisted:

Available with two engine specs 1.6 n/a 120bhp pretty good engine output even by todays standards, must have been mighty impressive back in the mid eighties.
Also 1.6L supercharged 145bhp. Not huge power but I'd imagine this is a very light car, and would be more than enogh grunt for some serious fun :twisted:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:05 pm

Quite like the MR2 - both Mark 1 & 2.

Only problem with buying one is that its probably gonna cost you money to get right - most I have seen for sale in Ireland look very tired.

If importing one you should also consider a Mark 1 1.8 MX5 Mustang - you've driven my GF's Mark 2 RS - if you can get a more entertaining Mark1 MR2 than that then I'll eat my FTO.

There will likely be far more Mark 1 MX5's to choose from than Mark 1 MR2's and they will be more likely to be in better shape.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:34 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Only problem with buying one is that its probably gonna cost you money to get right - most I have seen for sale in Ireland look very tired.

Yea, I can imagine! Come to think of it I have not seen one of these on the road in ages.

If importing one you should also consider a Mark 1 1.8 MX5 Mustang - you've driven my GF's Mark 2 RS -

Yea I have to say I was very impressed with the RS alright and it really dispelled a lot of the preconceived notions I had about the car. But It still looks like a hairdressers car! That said so do most covertibles!
The other and possibley more important stumbling block is the age of the car. I did some research and the minimum car age (that I could find) to be declared 'classic' for insurance purposes was 20 years. So the mx5 would not qualify on this basis.
I'd be happy enough to borrow an MX5 if it was the girlfriends, :wink: but I'm not so sure I'd actually buy one myself :roll:

Anyway, it's just a thought, another one of my hair brained schemes which will more than likely not come to fruition!
if you can get a more entertaining Mark1 MR2 than that then I'll eat my FTO.

Does that include the Hiro :?: :smt002
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby dave100 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:59 am

Great cars altho the scharged variant is extremely rare!

Try AON for classic insurance if its ur second car :smt023
dave100
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Return to Japanese Performance