Recommend a coupe?

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Recommend a coupe?

Postby optical illusion » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:30 pm

VX220 is the same as an elise except with a GM engine, so yay - none of the rover unreliability. Turbo is shocking fast but hardly pick one up for 14k.

You'd need to give up creature comforts unless it's your second car.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:27 am

optical illusion wrote:VX220 is the same as an elise except with a GM engine, so yay - none of the rover unreliability. Turbo is shocking fast but hardly pick one up for 14k.

I'd say the VX220 turbo is a savage car but I don't think it looks as nice as an Elise 8)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:11 am

soc wrote:
optical illusion wrote:VX220 is the same as an elise except with a GM engine, so yay - none of the rover unreliability. Turbo is shocking fast but hardly pick one up for 14k.

I'd say the VX220 turbo is a savage car but I don't think it looks as nice as an Elise 8)

Agreed, the styling is a bit awkward and not as nice or coherent as the opel -but it still has plenty of presence and a certain wow and rarity factor - the budget would certainly not stretch to a turbo. The top gear review that was on Dave the other night, said 0-60 in ~4 sec (although I think the actual figure is closer to 5), and also that nearly all the press demo cars were crashed at launch :lol:
There are only two listed on carzone at present both the 2.2 n/a models. Which would be more than quick enough for me.
A 02, for €12995 and a'08 for €39950 .
Given that there's a fairly limited market for these things I suspect a reasonable discount could be obtained on either. Would be similar money to get one from the UK ~€13k.
2.2n/a cars have 147 bhp (not a huge amount from a 2.2), and 203Nm, really these cars are about power to weight though. At 875kg that's 168bhp/tonne. 33mpg and 0.60 in 5.6sec apparently! Nice combination and very little out there that could deliver those too figures (not at the same time obviously! :smt002 )

It does look like a very good package for reasonable money.I'm not sure if I'd have the conviction to actually run one of these though..
:smt061
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:46 am

Mustang wrote: really these cars are about power to weight though. At 875kg that's 168bhp/tonne. 33mpg and 0.60 in 5.6sec apparently! Nice combination and very little out there that could deliver those too figures (not at the same time obviously! :smt002 )

Put the FTOs figures in here, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:24 am

Bernard wrote:
Mustang wrote: really these cars are about power to weight though. At 875kg that's 168bhp/tonne. 33mpg and 0.60 in 5.6sec apparently! Nice combination and very little out there that could deliver those too figures (not at the same time obviously! :smt002 )

Put the FTOs figures in here, you might be pleasantly surprised.

That did occur to me when writing that post, compared to a mivec FTO it doesn't seem like a lot I guess they are pretty much even. But the the low weight has a huge influence on the acceleartion and handling. I would expect the VX220 acceleration to me more instant/accessible and much more linear throughout the rev range. That 0-60 time (if correct) is pretty impressive.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:48 am

Would you not pick up an early turbo model in the UK for around the 10K mark?? What would VRT be?? If I was going the VX route, it would have to be turbo all the way!!! :twisted:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Dave wrote:Would you not pick up an early turbo model in the UK for around the 10K mark?? What would VRT be?? If I was going the VX route, it would have to be turbo all the way!!! :twisted:

Turbo prices start at aroung £13k for one without an accident history. Call it €14.7k, with VRT for a '03 car at ~€6k. so €20k+.
It's all fine and well to say it must to be the fastest one (i.e. a turbo). But the n/a car is very quick in it's own right. And having always driven fwd cars, a rwd turbo with that sort of power to weight, would probably land me upside down, backwards in a ditch, wishing I'd bought a more sensible car with more airbags!
It's only a pipe dream though....
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:38 pm

6K VRT on top!! Woah, I didn't think it'd be that much....
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:41 pm

Agreed, elise is better looking (albeit I'm more of an S2 fan myself) but even a n/a is not to be sniffed at. They stick to corners like glue, and like Mustang said, it's all about the power to weight.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:11 pm

If I had 14K to spend on a fast coupe - this is where my money would go - it may not tick all your boxes Mustang but you should own a car like this at least once in your life (and preferably before marriage,kids et al come along )

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10522
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:30 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:If I had 14K to spend on a fast coupe - this is where my money would go - it may not tick all your boxes Mustang but you should own a car like this at least once in your life (and preferably before marriage,kids et al come along )

phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10522

That is a nice example and I wish Mark every success with the sale. However the RX7 is not even on the radar I do respect them but I just can't get interested enough to actaully consider owning one. While I realise they are in different league in performance terms, and driving experience I could get an RX8 (which is my benchmark and the most likely sucessor to the FTO if I do make a make a move )5 years younger for that money.
While the same could be said for many cars; the RX7 enjoyed quite a good run there in recent years with values holding up well, inspite of fuel consumtion and engine rebuild worries. But in recent times the prices have taken a hammering -I think it would be like catching a falling knife. I have a mate selling (or trying to) an RX7 for sub 5k (not as clean as the example above). But a cheap way to dip my toe in the water if I wanted.
I've wanted an RX8 since they first came out -and always maintained it was the only car I'd ever condider as realistic replacement for the FTO -little has changed, other than the fact that they have become a lot more affordable.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:13 pm

Ross, you're welcome to take my 8 for a test drive on the assumption you're not a test pilot, dreamer or time waster. (and remember - no cash, no test drive)

Seriously though, give me a shout if you want to chew the fat and take the car for a shpin.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:21 pm

CJ wrote:Ross, you're welcome to take my 8 for a test drive on the assumption you're not a test pilot, dreamer or time waster. (and remember - no cash, no test drive)

Seriously though, give me a shout if you want to chew the fat and take the car for a shpin.

CJ

I thought you'd never ask :smt047 I think I'll have to take you up on that. A work colleague had one (192bhp version) there a while back and offered me a spin -on more than one occassion, and I never took up the offer -more fool me -now the car is gone. Will drop you a pm.....
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Previous

Return to Other Cars