Are Nankangs any good?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Are Nankangs any good?

Postby mark » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:58 pm

Thinking of getting a new set of alloys and most of the places I been to want to stick Nankangs or Federals on as part of the package. I know Nankangs do last a while, but from listening to you guys Eagle F-1s are the biz. Is it that the grip is great but they wear quite quickly or are they a good all rounder?
Ta
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: Are Nankangs any good?

Postby soc » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:41 pm

mark wrote:Thinking of getting a new set of alloys and most of the places I been to want to stick Nankangs or Federals on as part of the package. I know Nankangs do last a while, but from listening to you guys Eagle F-1s are the biz. Is it that the grip is great but they wear quite quickly or are they a good all rounder?
Ta

Toyos are great, last ages and give brilliant wet and dry grip. Shouldn't be too much more expensive than the Nankangs either.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:43 pm

I believe that Nankangs are yokohama's that didnt make the grade (could be wrong there) but I had them before and they wernt bad. Lasted quite a while, As regards performance ive never driven with them on the FTO so its hard to say.

R
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Daz » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:45 pm

Speedyboy wrote:I believe that Nankangs are yokohama's that didnt make the grade (could be wrong there) but I had them before and they wernt bad. Lasted quite a while, As regards performance ive never driven with them on the FTO so its hard to say.

R

Correct speedy they are yokohama's that didn't make the grade, they'd be ok to start of with as part of a package deal but definatly wouldn't get them again after that.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby CJ » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:58 pm

Do not touch Nankangs with a barge pole, they are the worst tyre I've ever driven on. I swapped in a set of Nangkangs for the set of (badly worn) Yokos on my GS and it felt like the car was on ice skates afterwards, the grip was non-existant on any sort of hard cornering. I threw them in the bin a month later for a set of Dunlop P7000's (which are a middle of the road tyre).

When you buy your alloys, get them without the tyres. Purchase and have the tyres fitted seperately, either get Goodyear Eagle F1s or Toyo Proxes T1s, both excellent tyres that come highly recommended. Make sure you ring around a few places as tyre prices can differ quite a bit between places. Use http://www.eiretyres.com/ for price guides.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ronbyrne » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:25 pm

i agree with cj, i have nankangs on my gpx and i dont rate them at all, grip on wet roads is none existant, and in the dry the front end just slides out, massive understeer, i have cash flow probs at the mo and theres still plenty of thread so they are there for a while yet, but two thumbs down from me, i was thinking of maybe geting goodyear f1 for front and keeping knackers on the rear for a while !
ronbyrne

Postby mark » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:28 pm

Cheers guys, i'll keep away from the Nans
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Kiwiboy » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:22 pm

Yep gotta agree here, the nans are crap.

Just swapped fronts for Goodyear Eagle Ventus, these feel heaps beetter wet and dry. Really gotta ditch the backs even though only half worn :(

Also the nans rubber cracks and casings give in before the tread is gone - just garbage tyres. Unfortunately every shop seems to put these on alloys in thier package deals.
Kiwiboy

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:43 pm

you'd wonder why they strick them with the alloy packages!! :shock: cheap as chips but not worth a Fcuk! when it comes to tyres there's no point in scrimping just for the sake of 20 or 30 yoyos a corner!

i can't say a huge amount about the toyos, i didn't rate them on the front of mine but the alignment was way out so probably got extra wear there.
the avon zz'3 i have on aren't bad, even just going through the large puddles or rivers now at this stage there's absolutely not shift or plaining!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:13 am

Hi,

I have Eagle F1's on my S2000 and I really can recommend them...in both the dry and the wet. I've 240bhp at the back wheels with no traction control and they do stick (within reason :wink: ).
Alot of the S2000 owners go for em.

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Mustang » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:21 pm

Mark wrote
Thinking of getting a new set of alloys

I thought the set you have are quite funky. Are they damaged or do you just fancy a change? Are you selling the old ones?

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mark » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:06 am

Hey Mustang, that post was a while back. The ones you saw are the new ones. The Proxes T-1s are bloody good in the wet. If I drive another car with normal tyres I nearly kill myself!
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Mustang » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:11 pm

Mark wrote
Hey Mustang, that post was a while back.

Yea I see that now. I'll blame Kiwiboy for reincarnating the old thread!

The ones you saw are the new ones.

I was finding it hard to understand why you would want to get rid of them alright. Makes perfect sense now.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical