Rent a car ?

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Rent a car ?

Postby Sebastian » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi ,
Friends visiting ireland so I get the task of finding them a car for hire.usual 5 seater regular boot space
What are your experiences in relation to this and which is the best crowd to approach without stressing out the VISA .
period is 1 week

thanks
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Re: Rent a car ?

Postby goz_83 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:22 pm

I think the best rate you will find is by using http://www.arguscarhire.com

I search a couple of times per year in lots of other places and always find them to get the best deal. Assuming they're arriving in about 2 weeks and that they are coming from Romania, they could land a Golf, or Focus for about €75. The usual policy is get a full tank, return it full. If they want to travel in style, add €400 to that and they get a 3 Series BMW. I am afraid they don't rent FTO's.

https://www.arguscarhire.com/argusBook. ... fined#book
Last edited by goz_83 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:29 pm

good info there , they are coming from Germany :smt002 and I knew about the tank thing it's universal :mrgreen:
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby goz_83 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Sebastian wrote:good info there , they are coming from Germany :smt002 and I knew about the tank thing it's universal :mrgreen:

Well it's supposed to be universal, but also depends on how many days your're renting for. If you're only renting for 3 days, they charge you for a full tank and you return empty. No refunds given the feckers. This happened me when I rented a Megane convertible in Spain for 3 days. I drove the bejaysus out of it to get my fuel down to the needle before returning it.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Go for the highest level of cover you can get on the insurance,
colm_mcm

Postby Sebastian » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:37 pm

any bad experiences colm ? I remember something about a skoda?
Sebastian

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:41 pm

Yeah, washed it, went over with it with a fine toothed comb, left it back in prestwick airport on the Saturday evening, offices closed,left it in their yard, dropped the keys into the designated box

Next month get charged £500 GBP or so on my credit card without any communication from them, they said car had damage on the offside, then it was the near side, asked for photos or invoice from bodyshop, was basically told to read the terms and conditions and feck off, apparently any damage caused between when you drop it back and when they decide to park it is your responsibility.

At least I know the dsg box probably fell out of it the following week as a result of me driving it.
colm_mcm

Postby Sebastian » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:44 pm

you can never win with these guys
Sebastian

Postby goz_83 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:47 pm

I always insist on places that have 24 hour offices to sign off on car before I leave it back. Terms & Conditions aside, I would have got a charge back if they refused to give proof of damage. Even at that, I would have insisted on being notified of these claims as soon as their offices opened. The damage might have been there, but it could have been caused by someone after you and they could technically have charged several people £500 for the same damage.

Using an o2 money card, or pre-paid mastercard may be a way to win :)
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:15 pm

Haven't made that mistake again, was very hard to deal with the company in question as they were in the uk.
Think Quinn direct times 10.

They pre authorised the amount on the card when I collected it.
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:33 pm

That's what I like about charge backs. Doesn't matter where they are, the credit card company charge back if you have not authorised payment. Happened me with an seo company. Long story, I won.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:33 pm

goz_83 wrote:I think the best rate you will find is by using http://www.arguscarhire.com

I search a couple of times per year in lots of other places and always find them to get the best deal. Assuming they're arriving in about 2 weeks and that they are coming from Romania, they could land a Golf, or Focus for about €75. The usual policy is get a full tank, return it full. If they want to travel in style, add €400 to that and they get a 3 Series BMW. I am afraid they don't rent FTO's.

https://www.arguscarhire.com/argusBook. ... fined#book

Plus one. Argus are very good always come up trumps on price. I typically rent cars about 3 times a year between work and holidays and always use them. Leave it too late and you'll be raped if you go direct to an irish operator. They also offer excess waiver insurance through mondial ~ €5.50 per day which you can purchase when booking the car.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Off Topic