Toyota MR2 (MK II)

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Toyota MR2 (MK II)

Postby Mustang » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:24 am

I quite like the MKII MR2 (1990 to 1998). The more powerful turbo motor with ~230bhp seemed like the obvious choice but I keep hearing that they can be tricky in the wet...do we get any other type of weather here :?:
Which leads me to think that the n/a motor with ~170bhp might be a nice balance between power and safety, supposed to be a torquey motor too.
The boot (front storage) is supposed to be very small though.
Anyone here any experiences, ever driven or owned one, any thoughts?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:41 am

You thinking of a change Mustang?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Mustang » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:46 am

Kevinod wrote
You thinking of a change Mustang?

Always open to new possibilities :wink:
I much prefer the FTO but from an insurance point of view the car is treated as if it has leprosy.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Toyota MR2 (MK II)

Postby soc » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:14 am

Mustang wrote:Anyone here any experiences, ever driven or owned one, any thoughts?

I looked at getting one of these before the FTO - the only advice I can offer is to make sure you get one of the revised models - I think they came after '98. The suspension was changed slightly (bilstein shocks I think) to prevent the earlier models big problem - snap oversteer.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:20 am

Mustang wrote:I much prefer the FTO but from an insurance point of view the car is treated as if it has leprosy.

Best quote I've heard all year, brilliant! :D
The exhaust fell off my GS once, I wonder did the leprosy have anything to do with it? ;)

I'm with Shane on the 98+ option, older MR2s are notorious for ending up flipping arseways into a bush when pushed in the wet, only probem is that you'll pay a premium for a later model.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:29 am

Nice car - quite like them - but they're getting a bit old hat these days.
I'd also def want a turbo version - the 2.0 NA would be too slow. I like the look of the revised 96+ models best as they get also get nicer rear afterburner style lights and a slightly better interior.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:34 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Nice car - quite like them - but they're getting a bit old hat these days.
I'd also def want a turbo version - the 2.0 NA would be too slow. I like the look of the revised 96+ models best as they get also get nicer rear afterburner style lights and a slightly better interior.

I say get a 98/99 turbo (0-62 in 5 secs) and then get that company in the UK to put on a Ferrari F355 bodykit - you'd certainly have a unique car then!

http://www.mirrorfinishuk.net/index.html
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:36 am

CJ wrote
Best quote I've heard all year, brilliant!

:lol:
CJ wrote
The exhaust fell off my GS once, I wonder did the leprosy have anything to do with it?

I'd say so, currently having trouble with my exhaust too. My case doesn't sound as chronic as yours though :wink:

Shane wrote
I looked at getting one of these before the FTO - the only advice I can offer is to make sure you get one of the revised models - I think they came after '98. The suspension was changed slightly (bilstein shocks I think) to prevent the earlier models big problem - snap oversteer.

CJ wrote
I'm with Shane on the 98+ option, older MR2s are notorious for ending up flipping arseways into a bush when pushed in the wet, only probem is that you'll pay a premium for a later model.

I was not aware of this change. Seems very late in the life of the model to be sorting such a serious issue. You guys sure it was '98 when these changes came in?

MfFTO wrote
I like the look of the revised 96+ models best as they get also get nicer rear afterburner style lights and a slightly better interior.

I would have thought that the suspension changes would have been introduced along with the facelift?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:40 am

Shane wrote
I say get a 98/99 turbo (0-62 in 5 secs) and then get that company in the UK to put on a Ferrari F355 bodykit - you'd certainly have a unique car then!

There was one for sale in the B&S a while back €25k I think it was.
One of the Irish mags did a feature....Flush bus......Modified motors?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:48 pm

I got brought in a spin in a early 90's turbo a few weeks ago, it felt very very fast much more than the 250bhp he said it was. I wanted one for a while after that but the chances of me being sensible enough not to wrap it was low so i decided against it.

The best place to get them seems to be www.autotrader.co.uk (without going to Japan of course). Better selection and better prices than Ireland.

VRT can be checked on www.ros.ie
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Mustang » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:14 pm

Mustang wrote
I was not aware of this change. Seems very late in the life of the model to be sorting such a serious issue. You guys sure it was '98 when these changes came in?

Update on the suspension front.

"Suspension:
The 90-92 cars have 14" wheels with 195 (front) and 205mm (rear) wide tyres - in the wet, the power of the turbo will easily overpower the available grip so care must be taken.
From '92 the suspension was revised, to remove the tendency of the car to snap oversteer in the opposite direction, after the initial recovery of a skid. These models got wider wheels with lower profile tyres, combined with stiffer suspension, and rear stiffening braces over the engine. The ride is noticeably stiffer on 92-on cars than in the 90-92 cars.
Further modifications were made to the suspension for the 94+ cars, including a two stage damper to give a compromise of low speed comfort and high speed handling ability. However, the ride quality and 'firmness' subjectively is very similar for 92-94 and 94+ Turbos. For all years, the Turbo's suspension is stiffer than the equivalent Normally Aspirated UK or Japanese model."

Also power increased from ~220bhp to ~240bhp in '94
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:25 pm

Mustang wrote:Mustang wrote

Update on the suspension front.

"Suspension:
The 90-92 cars have 14" wheels with 195 (front) and 205mm (rear) wide tyres - in the wet, the power of the turbo will easily overpower the available grip so care must be taken.
From '92 the suspension was revised, to remove the tendency of the car to snap oversteer in the opposite direction,

Looks like I got my dates badly screwed up - sorry about that - dunno why I thought '98.......
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Japanese Performance