The Price Of Perfection

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Price Of Perfection

Postby Temeeo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:11 pm

She is a beauty! Was wondering whether you ever going to get her back! Seems GVD have done top notch job! :nwor
99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Temeeo wrote:She is a beauty! Was wondering whether you ever going to get her back! Seems GVD have done top notch job! :nwor

Really happy with the results. They not only fixed the accident damage, but also the other marks that were picked up along the way.

I've decided to sell it to my brother. At least I know it will go to someone who will love the car as much as I do. Selling for 2k, plus the return of the 98 GPX i sold him. I now own a 98 manual gpx :lol:

I will be selling that too though. I just took it to cut down the purchase price of the blue fto. I did not want to sell it, but logic dictated to me. No point having a car I can't drive when medical bills are mounting.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Temeeo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:39 pm

I would at least keep the 98 GPX. Think it would make for nice father-son project one day! Having one FTO away for couple of months is one thing but not having one at all will be hard, what will you do? :shock:
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Temeeo wrote:I would at least keep the 98 GPX. Think it would make for nice father-son project one day! Having one FTO away for couple of months is one thing but not having one at all will be hard, what will you do? :shock:

I'm going to put the other one up for sale too. No point having it sitting there, but will keep unless it pays me back what I have spent. It only needed a service and some underbody cleaning. It was otherwise perfect. So, good price for FTO member. If interested, PM me.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:20 am

Crazy. I put the silver gpx up for €900, with plan to sell for €750 (a bargain) and it sold within a couple of hours on adverts. My brother will be driving the blue gpx next year. I'll be putting away the fto jacket, possibly for good :( . Mixed feelings. Looks like this thread has come to an end at page 10 ( probably the longest thread on the site ). Drive safe everyone and have a very Merry Christmas.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Temeeo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:52 am

Sad day Gary! :( I would love to have another one (in steel silver) but have no room for two at the moment... €900 for an FTO that's not totally rotten is a steel if you asked me, wouldn't be surprised if it was in better shape than all the others that are being advertised for 1.5 - 2 as much.
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Temeeo wrote:Sad day Gary! :( I would love to have another one (in steel silver) but have no room for two at the moment... €900 for an FTO that's not totally rotten is a steel if you asked me, wouldn't be surprised if it was in better shape than all the others that are being advertised for 1.5 - 2 as much.

I can confidently say it is in better shape than the others advertised. But, medical bills stacked up on the card need looking after and as i only paid €500 for it, it's a profit for doing very little. Some people are too unrealistic with their prices in the current market. It would have sat nicely with yours I reckon.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gazmcg89 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Lots of time and effort gone in but its not gone too far you know it will be looked after . Its only metal and your health is your wealth you will be back in something enjoyable once you are 100% again and bills are paid . I would have liked the 98 one you pipped me to the post on the original sale :?
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Postby goz_83 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:47 pm

It's been over a year since I updated this thread. First things first...I had a microdiscectomy for my back injury in November. It has been and to a large extent, still is tough going, but i'm getting physio and I am being told I can go back to the gym for some light cardio work and gentle core building exercises. I'm recovering, but have been told that I will always have a bad back and I will need to exercise every day to try prevent a recurrence of my injury. Sobering stuff, but I suppose we should all be taking good care of ourselves and exercising daily, not just because of an injury, but for our health, which I now appreciate more than ever.

Onto the FTO. I have looked back over the thread and surprised myself at how determined I was to make my FTO perfect (in my eyes). I realise that perfection isn't possible, because once you achieve what you think was going to be perfection (or damn close to it), then you either change your mind, or someone causes damage to your property. The amount of times someone damaged my car in a car park was ridiculous. It got me angry, but hey, not much does. So, after the car got repaired, I sold it to my brother....to be paid for in installments. However, his circumstances never improved and the car has gone unused. It was started every other week and driven for a few minutes here and there to get things moving. Then nothing over the Christmas and he borrowed the battery for his Mondeo (yes, that Mondeo...I sold it to him because I couldn't drive a manual anymore) and the FTO wasn't started for weeks. When it was last started, the alt belt snapped. Maybe coincidence, but I reckon it was from lack of use. I have given the car the once over and all is well. I will be replacing the belt and putting a new battery in there and I will be selling the FTO, because I am not going to be possessive anymore. If someone I know takes, it, that would be super. If that someone is a club member, that's great too. But this time, I'm selling it if I get the right price. I just haven't decided the price yet, but at a minimum, 2k is in my head. Anyone who knows the car, or has read through this thread will know the car is one of the best out there. I have someone who wants it as is for €1800, but I would rather she was driven away, not towed. I guess I still have a bit of possessive left in me :lol:

If she goes, I think I will be done with FTOs. So part of me still wants to store her away. She has 182k klms on her if I remember well.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:33 am

Thanks for the update Goz. You will be sorry to see her go in the end!
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:58 pm

So, happy to say the alternator belt was replaced and a brand new battery went in and she roared to life again. Next in line is a good clean, an oil change, engine flush and some treated fuel to go through and make sure she is as clean as possible inside and out. Might even put it through the nct if I get time.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:36 pm

So, there was some water in the boot well. Had to clear that out. Found a rip in the seal, probably caused when it was refit, as there are no signs of degradation at all. It's also possible the water got in when the boot wasn't closed properly (courtesy of my brother after he put the battery clamp in there) but I wouldn't take any chances.

I fit the battery clamp in place yesterday and drove her up the road a couple of times. Moving freely, which is good....no seized calipers and even braking. Idling wasn't 100% regular, but a noted improvement when started today. I gave the car a good going over with the help of my son. Lubricants and rust preventatives were applied. Interior and exterior clean, including a decent engine bay clean. The wipers could do with replacing and the sunroof rail would benefit from a clean and fresh grease, but all is working :D

Out with the power hose and the microfibre mitts and she got a long awaited shower. Was about to dry her off and the sky opened up on me :smt005

The only thing I need to do now is get the driver side wind deflector stuck in place. The other little bits can be sorted by the new owner, whoever he/she may be.

Here she is getting some attention.

goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Temeeo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:54 pm

This needs to be on the road and used! Hopefully it will go to somebody who will look after it as well as you have.
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:54 pm

Temeeo wrote:This needs to be on the road and used! Hopefully it will go to somebody who will look after it as well as you have.

Very true. She was given a quick run around to the filling station for a drink. No idling issues at all now. Brakes slowly bedding in and overall just being sweet. Nostalgia :smt003
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:45 am

Good to see some movements here :)
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:57 pm

brccrx wrote:Good to see some movements here :)

Hopefully in a couple of days, a new owner from here will be posting in the thread. Otherwise I'll be posting a for sale ad but would prefer someone from here take her on.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:34 am

Great to get a quick sale like that the way there selling. Looks well!
mivecrx
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby goz_83 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:15 am

mivecrx wrote:Great to get a quick sale like that the way there selling. Looks well!

I find that honest sellers find genuine buyers regardless. A full history helps....warts and all. Hasn't changed hands yet, but then, it hasn't been officially advertised either.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:13 am

goz_83 wrote:I find that honest sellers find genuine buyers regardless. A full history helps....warts and all. Hasn't changed hands yet, but then, it hasn't been officially advertised either.

I'm not sure if I ever seen warts on cars before or their paperwork. Maybe it's a term used for damaged repairable cars with history to prove, I'm not 100% on that so don't quote me!

Either way your sort of right, a good car will always find an owner. An honest seller only helps it on it's way :smt023
mivecrx

Postby goz_83 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:22 am

mivecrx wrote:
goz_83 wrote:I find that honest sellers find genuine buyers regardless. A full history helps....warts and all. Hasn't changed hands yet, but then, it hasn't been officially advertised either.

I'm not sure if I ever seen warts on cars before or their paperwork. Maybe it's a term used for damaged repairable cars with history to prove, I'm not 100% on that so don't quote me!

Either way your sort of right, a good car will always find an owner. An honest seller only helps it on it's way :smt023

That's exactly it. Give the full history, not just the service history. Any interested parties will be sent straight to this thread, so the history can be seen, at least during the time I owned it. There is also plenty of service history from long before it was mine. I want the car to go to someone who will keep her going for years more, so haven't advertised her anywhere and only club members know i'm looking to pass her on. There is still a big part of me that just wants to store her. To be honest, it won't be easy watching it drive away. I have liked cars I used to own, but this fto has been the best car i've ever driven....and i've had my fair share of driving experiences.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:47 am

Decided to give her an oil change. Even with the oil drain valve I managed to make a mess, because I put the support stand too close to the sump and the last few trickles were blown off the edge onto the driveway :roll:

I was in the motor factors picking up a part for the merc and the chap recognised me and was asking about the fto. He recommended an oil additive to replenish and rehydrate seals and O rings, so I figured it wasn't a bad idea considering the time she's been laid up. Couldn't resist taking a snap, she looked great and sounded great when I left her cycling the fresh oil.

goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:32 pm

I gave the car one last wash today after work. I'd have given it a wax too, but the sun was getting a bit low. Buyer should be arriving tomorrow. I'll be gutted seeing her drive off, but I am glad to say that she seems to be going to someone who has a genuine interest, who has followed this thread for the past year. I took a couple of final shots....but hopefully they won't be the last photos posted up here.

Maybe in a year, or two, I might be able to sit into one of these lovely cars again.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:27 am

Sold to a club member....a young one, but a decent lad who will look after the car i'm sure. Good luck to him and he will no doubt be on here to show off his pride and joy.....on UK plates probably.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby McGra_FTO » Mon May 16, 2016 1:58 am

Delighted to have the pleasure of meeting Gary and his family of which the FTO was certainly a beloved member! I felt guilty buying it off you Gary! But seriously, the drive home was unbelievable, I've never enjoyed driving more than I did for the hour and a half journey home!

Future plans are to underseal her, recalibrate dials into mph, rear fog light conversion (all essential for MOT), then swap over to UK plates unfortunately as it is a legal requirement up North - although I actually prefer the southern plates as they definitely suit the car better. After that I plan to enjoy the car and try to keep her as well as you did Gary! I don't think I'll change much at all to be honest...
Took a few photos but I don't really know how to upload them on this thread but I will work it out soon. LOL

Thanks again Gary, I hope you can get yourself into another FTO soon!
McGra_FTO
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:02 pm

Good meeting you too Rory. I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with it. you had some grin on you after driving her to the garage. Was good to see someone enjoying the drive again. Rear led fogs can be got on amazon to satisfy the mot. As I said, make sure any rust is dealt with before getting underseal. I use photobucket to upload photos. You can never upload too many :D

Oh, and i will happily take the irish plates back unless you plan to mount them somewhere (its what i would do).
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

PreviousNext

Return to General FTO Discussion