Have developed a Non-Starter

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Have developed a Non-Starter

Postby Kace » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:19 pm

Barely had a problem with my car over 14 years and now I can't even get it going now that the fine weather is here and I want to ditch the Quattro.

I have a problem that has me stumped so I said I should probably throw it out there to the (small) masses.

At present I have a non-starting FTO that hasn't been driven too much over the past 6 months. It would jump start for me OK over the past couple of weeks but the diagnostic was flashing a Vacuum / Map sensor error code #32. I thought this was the issue so went about trying to source one.

In the meantime I left the car for another week or so then tried to start again - but no joy. It doesn't turn over at all - barely a sound (maybe a faint noise) when I turn the key. I have also connected a wire directly to the starter and it still doesn't even make a sound when connected up - no crank at all.

OK - so it's the starter motor I think to myself. However I run the diagnostic again and I get a constant quickly flashing engine light. Now I know that the constant flashing light at about 1 flash per second is standard for 'All is OK', however I am getting about 2 flashes per second constantly.

I have never heard about or read about this condition in my 14 years of Mivec experience. Has anyone else ?

So next I'm still thinking my starter must be fried somehow, so that's the next thing I'm thinking about replacing. Any words of wisdom from anyone out there on this one ? It's the fact that I get the quickly flashing diagnostic that's confusing me here. I would not have thought that a worn out starter would cause this at the diagnostic.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Have developed a Non-Starter

Postby brccrx » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:47 pm

Must have Your battery drain completely and the ECU got unwanted reset so it flashing that there no codes stored i bet.

Could be that the starter didnt fried itself, its the solenoid maybe, which connector on the starter did U touch, U have to connect 12v to one of the bolts, not the one that run direct to the inside of the starter itself the one that goes trough the solenoid, as well as the single spade connector at the same time.

See the second pic in this topic?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14372#p109788

The bolt im about is the furthest to the starter and the spade connector is just in the middle like between them.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Kace » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:19 am

That's true the battery did get completely drained and I also disconnected it then, but I didn't expect it to do the quick flashing.

Yes I also connected to the right area of the starter motor - this definitely isn't working.

I suppose the good news is that I have a perfectly good starter back in Galway that I took off some years back. Time to get it back to Dublin somehow in a hurry !

One final question for you bccrx - which side of the car is the starter motor located at and is it difficult to access and disconnect it with just one side of the car jacked up ? I'm wondering whether I could tackle this installation myself.

Cheers
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:28 am

starter is situated roughly in the middle of your bumper just under the engine .Does it make any ticks ?
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby brccrx » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:27 pm

As Sebastian said its at the front of the engine.

If Yours is lowered U'll have to jack at least one side up U right, just support it well as U'll have to swing under the car to undo bolts /nuts/connections.
I did mine without rising it up as it seats quite high at the front and back (gray GPX)

Disconnect the battery before U start the work, there thick wire and single spade connector to undo on the starter then two 14mm bolts that hold it to gearbox bell housing.
U have to find Your way to take it out but dont worry it will pop out from the spot eventually :)

Fit the new one in and enjoy........broken MAP sensor as the code will be back as soon as U'll start/drive the car :)

Dont throw the old one out, it can be rebuild and its not expensive and some great fun for day off work!

Good luck.

Seb.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Kace » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 pm

Borrowed a hydraulic jack and some stands from Chris on here and found my problem. A wire that my Dad had jimmied on the starter had come off altogether from its spade connector. 5 second fix and car started perfectly - and stayed started.

I had also replaced the Vacuum / Map sensor which hopefully fixed the issue. Found one up in SummerHill Spares.

Anyway - few more tests over the next day or so, but seems like I'm back in business !!
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:42 am

Ha, good man :) I wish all my car problems end up that easy to fix! :ll
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:16 am

Good stuff Kace. Frustratingly satisfying when something like that happens. Fair play to Chris for helping.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:00 pm

great news that it was something so simple.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Return to FTO Technical