Newbie help please

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie help please

Postby Caleb47 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi . Can somebody be so kind to give me instructions on how to change the rear hub (wheel bearing) on my FTO GPX . Thank you in advance .
Caleb47
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Newbie help please

Postby brccrx » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Rise the car up and secure it well with axle stands, leave the jack still under it for extra security!

Take the wheel off.

Remove the two 14mm bolts holding calliper and its carrier, put it a side.

Theres two little bolts with philips heads holding the brake disc on to the hub, un do these and by tapping the brake disc take it off the hub.

Remove the hub bolt cover with a flat head screwdriver and use flat head screw driver to straighten the depression securing the 32mm nut. Get matching 32mm socket on breake bar to get the nut loosen and un do it fully, the hub now can be taken off,

Get manual for torque specs when tighten that nut back and dont forget to tap the ring in to the slot to secure the 32mm nut.

Best if luck.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Caleb47 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Thank you Kindly . I had been told I needed a special tool from Mitsubishi and other generally wrong BS lol . I managed it today and completed it in just over an hour . She is now running perfect again .
Caleb47
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:34 am

And sometimes tapping the brake disc really means whacking it with a hammer. Don't hit the disc face. Hit the section that juts out from the disc face (the part where the bolts protrude). Strike it at a a downward angle, toward the ground, rather than in the direction of the car. Do this as you turn the disc and whack it. This will prevent disc damage.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:57 am

Sound advice Gary :)

Also forgot about taking the hanbrake cable off too :smt003
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Caleb47 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:21 am

Thanks again . It's all sorted now ready for a track day at Cadwell park next week . The nut in my car is a 30 mm for some reason . It drives lovely again now . My daily driver is a AMG CLK and I have the choice of either to use for my 40 mile commute on Limcolnshires back roads and 9 out of 10 times I use the old FTO . I absolutely love the car which surprised me because I normally hate front wheel drive but the FTO has something about it . Is it just me who loves the FTO and doesn't know why lol. I have it booked in for a full respray in pearl white with white 18" Dynamics . I am having red leather seat covers made and will post pics once sorted . My friend who has the automatic GR model says they are Turbo kits available and I would appreciate any info and advice because I would love to get it turbocharged asap .
Caleb47
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:00 pm

The fto is the best car i have ever driven. I have never driven anything that exceeded a value of €40,000 when new though. I have found it to be a great daily driver and super reliable. It's also so much fun to drive. From what I hear, 17" rims are the best match. 18" rims are too big and compromise the driving experience. Youtube has a few examples of the super charger kits, but in my opinion, unless you have cash to dump, it is better to leave the fto as it is.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Caleb47 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:43 pm

I have to agree with the best car driven . I have owned and have driven better , faster and nicer cars but the FTO has something special . You are right about the 18s and I found today that 16s with 215/55/16 Brigestones are amazing . I chose winter tyres and coming home today in the rain it felt planted . My car is on Tein coil overs and it's lowered about an inch . The 55 tyres give a really nice ride and less road noise . I have kept the 17s with 40 tyres because they look great .
One more question if I may . How hard is it to change the front bottom ball joint ? . I found play in the OSF so need to change it . Any tips would be great thank you .
Caleb47
1st gear
1st gear

Postby gazmcg89 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:22 pm

Easy change on the ball joint obviously split from hub first locate circlip on top of wishbone and remove and knock through the wishbone downwards very easy setup altogether :D
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Caleb47 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:09 am

Awesome . Thanks again
Caleb47
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical