What Spark Plugs. Now Confused.

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

What Spark Plugs. Now Confused.

Postby goz_83 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi Guys.

I went to consort to get a service kit for my GR. Was given 10w/40 semi synthetic oil (FORTECH) and an oil filter (UNION JAPAN). I'm not sure about the oil they gave me, I don't wanna put crap into the car. The whole lot came to €35 ish. Am I ok with that oil, or should i use Castrol, or something else?

Anyway, the reason I am here is the sparks. The guy said that my FTO takes 6 sparks (yes, i knew this). He said 3 are standard and 3 are the iridium sparks. So, 2 different types of sparks go into the car? Surely this can't be correct. He said the normal plugs are €4 each and the set of 3 iridium plugs would be about €50. Alarm bells rang and I said I would get back to him. The same guy sold me a battery too small for my transit, despite me pointing out the size difference before purchasing, but that's another story. A set of 6 iridium plugs on ebay are costing about €50 delivered and i haven't found any mention of 3 plugs being different.

I am not saying he is wrong, as the computer gave him the info, but I just wanted to double check this.

Help appreciated here.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: What Spark Plugs. Now Confused.

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:36 pm

The rear bank of plugs are harder to get at hence why its recommended you put longer lasting plugs on the rear.

The better option is to put Iridiums front and rear.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote: The better option is to put Iridiums front and rear.

+1
Check the prices on Camskill, they're the one stop shop for anything FTO.
As for the oil, I'd be inclined to get better. No point skimping on something so vital.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks MyFeckin, It will be Iridium all the way then.

Thanks too to Bernard, I will change the oil as I am just not happy with pourin S***e into my car. Will also get the auto oil done too. May as well get it all done in the one go. The bloody thing cut out on me a few times today too :( and I saw the thread about the stepper motor, so i will take the stepper motor from the 95 model and reset the ECU too, hopefully solving that problem. Revs were low idle and seemed to kill engine when slowing down. Problem stopped, but the revs are still intermittently idling too low for my comfort.

Offside question: I am looking at chrome wipers on ebay. Isotta. Is this the whole wiper arm, or just the part that holds the blade? Do they look well when installed? Link below.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Chrome-Stainless-Ste ... 1c1ec383b8
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:14 pm

I'd stay clear of those wipers, they look like they're from halfords...
That's just my opinion though.

If you're looking for wiper blades then I'd recommend PIAA, not cheap but excellent quality.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:35 pm

Wipers aren't meant to stand out. Flat blades are the way to go.

Tesco actually do great ones.
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Bernard wrote:I'd stay clear of those wipers, they look like they're from halfords...
That's just my opinion though.

If you're looking for wiper blades then I'd recommend PIAA, not cheap but excellent quality.

Would that be the whole arm? Both sets are kinda lookin a little worse for wear and I wouldn't mind a pair that didn't look like they were wiped off of someones ar$e.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:54 am

Apparently rx8 arms go straight on. Alternatively sand and respray the existing arms.
colm_mcm

Return to FTO Technical