COTY Discussion

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

COTY Discussion

Postby Bernard » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:25 pm

If I was in the market for a new FTO at the moment I'd be taking a serious look at this one.
To the best of my knowledge it'd be the only one in the country and a great talking point for any FTO geek (i.e the likes of me).
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another one bites the dust

Postby Temeeo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:49 pm

I have soft spot for GPvR but COTY is not bad either, they've only made 207 of them!
99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Bernard » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:01 pm

I was always under the impression that 500 were made, wikipedia says 207 alright but I wouldn't take that as gospel.
Either way it's something I always fancied owning.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Temeeo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:16 pm

I got the 207 from here: http://www.ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopi ... =1&t=25816
It's from the same chap that made the VIN number look up tool, he got the numbers from CAPS so I think it should be accurate enough. What's it like t drive the tiptronic (this will only be 4 speed I assume?)
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Bernard » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:31 pm

Interesting read.
I'll let a tip owner answer re what the drive is like as I've only ever had a quick spin in one and that was a 5 speed.
I assume 4 speed, yes.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gazmcg89 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:27 am

Iv only had a 4 speed tip gr from a comment point of view as an old auto at this stage very good box for the era very responsive but Its no manual that's as best as I can describe it I probably would have kept the car if it was manual
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Postby gazmcg89 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:30 am

But you have LSD box linkage and the likes sitting around now ! Has anyone vrtd an Fto lately ?
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Temeeo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:16 am

According to the VRT Calculator it would be about €680 or so for the VRT - I would probably budget €1500 for the VRT, air and ferry tickets and NCT.
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:48 pm

I tried to answer this the other day, but I think my account had an attempted hack and I got locked out.

So, I have owned, or driven most of the FTO variants. The 1.8 GS 4 speed tip. 4 speed tip GR. Manual GR. 5 speed tip GX. manual GX. 5 speed GX Aero. Manual GPX.

The difference betwen the 4 and 5 speed tip boxes is really only noticeable when you're on the motorway and you can feel the 4 speed wishing it was a 5 speed. It literally feels like it is aching for agear change and I noticed this when I got into my first FTO, which was a 4 speed GR. It was more noticeable after driving a 5 speed tip.

Some might say i'm mad, but I would be looking tomturn that dandelion into a manual box. I wouldn't be crying out for a mivec, but I would prefer to change it to manual, or atleast get a 5 speed box upgrade. Im sure seb would be able to assist.

And you'd have a mivec at your disposal if you wanted.

Here's one you should be abke to buy for breaking. Will cost €200 or less if you do it right. Offer the wheels back to the guy and yiu're guaranteed a donor car. Sell the rest and make your money back.
http://www.adverts.ie/car/mitsubishi/ft ... le/7567654

Here is a very tasty looking 2000 reg GX
http://www.adverts.ie/car/mitsubishi/ft ... me/7522260
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:08 am

goz_83 wrote:
So, I have owned, or driven most of the FTO variants. The 1.8 GS 4 speed tip. 4 speed tip GR. Manual GR. 5 speed tip GX. manual GX. 5 speed GX Aero. Manual GPX.

Ya havent drive 1.3 turbo with 1.6 Mivec gearbox haha, or 6A12 Mivec with 1.6 gearbox conversion ;)

Deffo somerthing different to drive to anything that were in normal production :)
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Temeeo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:47 am

Every time Goz replies I feel urge to make a cup of tea before sitting down and reading it. :)
I wouldn't mess with the COTY myself, if anything I would bring it to stock look.

The red GX is being sold by Gino (previously owned by CJ) and the black GX is not bad either - although the interior is not my cup of tea - it would be the first thing that would go.

Was hoping to view the two above this weekend but the claim still hasn't been settled - it's been three weeks yesterday... :roll:
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Temeeo wrote:Every time Goz replies I feel urge to make a cup of tea before sitting down and reading it. :)
I wouldn't mess with the COTY myself, if anything I would bring it to stock look.

The red GX is being sold by Gino (previously owned by CJ) and the black GX is not bad either - although the interior is not my cup of tea - it would be the first thing that would go.

Was hoping to view the two above this weekend but the claim still hasn't been settled - it's been three weeks yesterday... :roll:

Haha. Probably just as well it's not Whiskey you feel an urge to drink. I would have you falling over with all my writing.

Did any of the COTY come as manual? I never checked. You wouldn't be ruining the stockness if they did have manuals, but I have a feeling they may have been autos. I understand wanting to keep it stock and on further thought, I would agree. However, I would change to a manual if they came in manual and if th opportunity arose, I would upgrade t a 5 speed box. I would not feel like I was ruining the stock car in any way. There is one thing that really bothers me with the COTY....it is pre-facelift. If you're serious about a COTY and you're buying from the UK, you really need to look out for rust, more than usual. It might also have been chipped to read in miles, so keep that in mind too. It messes with the odometer reading when they change it to count in miles, because it doesn't convert the existing kilometres into miles, afaik.

I would be quite interested in the black FTO. It looks really clean. I too would get rid of the seats and the manky cup holder in the arm rest would be gone too. If I............Sorry..... WHEN I buy another fto, it will be stock. I have done the nice upgrades and created a lovely, lovely fto. But I would be more of a stock guy myself now. I would not buy a pre 97 car and would want a 99-00 ideally, as the HID lights were standard.

How was your tea?
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gazmcg89 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Yes a very few coty came in manual about 20 out of 207 made. The rest were tiptronic
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Postby goz_83 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:17 pm

gazmcg89 wrote:Yes a very few coty came in manual about 20 out of 207 made. The rest were tiptronic

Well, I know what I would be doing then :)

Any mivecs? :lol:
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Errrrr, correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like a lot more than 207 were made. It looks like 207 COTY were made in GPX variat and 1609 were made in GR variant. The figures are on the link tameo gave and seem to be on wikipedia too http://www.completefto.com.au/CompleteFTO.asp?aid=449
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:37 pm

You're wrong...
The GR Limited was different.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:48 pm

So this would make all the COTY gpx variants? Hmmmm. And 20 were manual. Interesting. There's a lonk to all the colours produced too on that thread. Only ever seen one green fto.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: COTY Discussion

Postby Temeeo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:15 pm

COTY was essentially GPX but with LSD I believe. Wonder what was the spec of the GR Limited, if it had LSD like the COTY?
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to General FTO Discussion