Hand-brake warning light.

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Hand-brake warning light.

Postby mark » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:54 pm

Hi, I have an NCT coming up soon and lately my handbrake-warning light comes on when the brake is released. Could they fail me on this?
It tends to cry wolf a bit-some days it stays on other days its fine.
Any ideas how i can rectify this (probably simple) problem?
Ta. :!:
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Dean » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:27 pm

Well, just been told by the guy that installed my sub. That very soon all NCT warnings (ie, you can pass but get new tyres) will become fails.
So they will probably fail it on that yes.

Also thinking, there are only two belts in the back. Apparently I require three to pass the NCT. is this correct?
Dean
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Dean » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:31 pm

Sorry to threadjack again, but its sort of on the topic of Nct's :), but has anyone passed their nct after they have taken out their cat converter? Tempted to do it. Shane, you were saying that it increases the hp or something, would it be worth taking it out?
Dean

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:02 pm

I wouldn't worry about the handbrake thing unless its operation is being hampered. Check your rear pads, they may have worn down to the limit.
As regards doing the NCT with a Cat bypass pipe, you'll most likely fail.
You'd be better off dropping the cat back in for the test to be on the safe side. Its a worthwhile investment IMO, the engine can expel gas a lot easier when the cat is bypassed and it gives the exhaust a nice throaty sound.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:13 pm

just about the de-cat, is it just as simple as getting a new pipe, replacing the cat and taping up the sensors? and where is the best place to pick one up?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:17 pm

Dave wrote:just about the de-cat, is it just as simple as getting a new pipe, replacing the cat and taping up the sensors? and where is the best place to pick one up?

Pretty much, you loosen 4 bolts, take out the cat and belt in the bypass pipe then refit the lambda sensor. Camskill do 'em for St£68.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:22 pm

do you have to do anything with the sensor or just leave it as is?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:25 pm

Dave wrote:do you have to do anything with the sensor or just leave it as is?

It simply screws out of the cat, theres a nut welded onto the bypass where you fit the sensor, piece of cake. Take a look at your own
cat in position and you'll know what I mean.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:40 pm

cheers...
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

handbarake light warns of low fluid !!

Postby ronbyrne » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:15 pm

all hand brake lights are connected to the brake fluid level switch in the reservoir when the fluid gets low it will short the brake light and it will come on and off even when the handbrake is released, so check your fluid level first
ronbyrne

Postby soc » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:57 am

Dean wrote:Sorry to threadjack again, but its sort of on the topic of Nct's :), but has anyone passed their nct after they have taken out their cat converter? Tempted to do it. Shane, you were saying that it increases the hp or something, would it be worth taking it out?

Leave the cat in for the NCT or you will deffo fail. AFAIK it's not the same as the MOT where your car has to be listed with the emissions limits - for NCT the only thing they list is years and that's what dictates the level of emissions (that's what I've been told anyway).

Taking the cat out won't make a huge difference to performance - probably feel a very slight increase in the upper rev range but nothing major, you'd really need to get a complete exhasut system to include downpipes before you see any major gains.

On another note - I've collected your spare tyre again.... the f**kers left it sitting in the post office - the last time they said to leave it with them and they'd send it on again but then someone decided that my postage was "used up" the first time and I had to pay again so they just left it sitting htere until I came back looking. Didn't have any money with me at the time so I had to just take the wheel. I'm gonna send it registered post this time but it won't be until after next weekend cause I'm away for the weekend and am up to tits in work atm.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

nct

Postby mark » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:53 am

CJ,What about an 'NCT Section' on the forum ?!
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: nct

Postby CJ » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:20 pm

mark wrote:CJ,What about an 'NCT Section' on the forum ?!

Good suggestion Mark, I'll add an additional forum and see how it takes off. There may be a bit of crossover between the Tech forum but we'll see how it goes.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:02 pm

Cat-bypass pipe on E-bay, currently 2 days left and its @ St£12.50!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... gory=38786

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am

uk only though?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:38 am

Dave wrote:uk only though?

You'll be able to work something out with the seller, I've bought about 5 things off Ebay UK over the past while and have paid the extra postage to get the units overe here. Usually, you still save a packet.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:50 am

must look into it, it retails at something like 60stg, so anything less than that is a saving...
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical