Need new gearbox for GPX, help please

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Need new gearbox for GPX, help please

Postby GPXtatic » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Long story short i need a gearbox for my "98" GPX. Its a manual with a gear stick so not tiptronic. dont know if that matters much but I dont have a third gear anymore so a new gearbox is needed for nct next year.
Is there a website that supplies fto car parts??
Im based in dublin and was told about IVI engines so ill be checking them out soon to see how they fare. Or would i be better off getting one from a breaker?? How much would i expect to pay for a gearbox??

Thanks for the help in advance guys i love the forum!! still hoping on a cruise providing i get this gearbox issue sorted ha
GPXtatic
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Need new gearbox for GPX, help please

Postby mivecrx » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:47 pm

I'd say your 3rd gear syncro is the problem, it's a common fault on the 1.6 mivec box anyway. Yours must have been crunching going to third since you bought it?

A second hand box would be cheapest option I'd think, they might be hard source though. You could probably get new synchro's fitted into the box you have but that would cost allot, if your doing that it would be mad not to change the bearings while the box is open.
mivecrx
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby asti rs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:31 pm

you wont need it to pass the nct the car wont go passed 1st gear on less tester is race car driver and can get 3rd from the car park to the emissions line up :nwor :D .

rs mivec gearboxes are 350/400€ for a good 1. zr prob 250 300 for a good clean 1 fto same 250/300
asti rs
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Kace » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:19 pm

asti rs wrote:you wont need it to pass the nct the car wont go passed 1st gear on less tester is race car driver and can get 3rd from the car park to the emissions line up :nwor :D .

rs mivec gearboxes are 350/400€ for a good 1. zr prob 250 300 for a good clean 1 fto same 250/300

You can buy full FTOs for €350-400 as well so I'm sure you could beat a breaker down on price a bit.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:42 pm

I presume you've brought the car to a mechanic to confirm the 'box is shot and that it's not something simple like a selector that you need?
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GPXtatic » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:59 am

I was thinking that myself Mivecrx , full ftos arent too expensive so a gearbox couldnt be much, and i got a quote/ rough estimate for 1200€, which after is settled in left me thinking lolwhat?? And the situation is when i go into third, it just revs as in neutral, no exaggeration. BUT my friends brother in law is a mechanic so ill ask him to check it isnt something small or a selector. i really love the car my friend rang me this morning saying i passed his mum on the m50 and the kids in the car were shouting "look a race car" as i flew by....made my week :D
GPXtatic
1st gear
1st gear

Postby mivecrx » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:49 am

asti rs wrote:you wont need it to pass the nct the car wont go passed 1st gear on less tester is race car driver and can get 3rd from the car park to the emissions line up :nwor :D .

If he went for an rs or zr box he will need to change the flywheel and clutch too. Fto box looks the best option.
mivecrx

Postby Kace » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:28 pm

By the way, I have never heard of manual FTO gearbox go and need a full replacement in that way, so yes be sure to check the simple things on it before doing anything drastic.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Gerry » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:30 pm

Make sure and check the gear selector cables and also check
The bracket on the gearbox that holds cables In position.
I have seen many of these damaged an in some cases totally
Knackered due to poor design. This results in intermittent gear
Selection and in some cases no gear selection at all
Gerry

Postby GPXtatic » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:08 am

Thanks allot for all the replys, im getting a call back from my friends bro in law and hes gonna tell me when to come in so he can get the best look and tell me whats what.

i cant imagine it needs a whole new gearbox because yes i drove it fast my fair share of times, (im no boyracer) but i never redlined it till it bounced and then change gear nor did i jump stupidly from something like 5th high speed to 3rd or god forbid 2cd. and it grabs every other gear perfectly. just before the problem happened when i put my foot down at 2500 to 3000 revs at 50km/h it felt like the wheels were fighting for their life on traction, wheelspin galore only the tarmac was bone dry and these are wide ass tires. ill keep this thread posted , the worst part is diagnosing the problem completely
GPXtatic
1st gear
1st gear

Postby m4dmike » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:56 am

i have a spare gr gearbos if you just swap the diff over it should work out if you interested let me know
m4dmike
1st gear
1st gear

Postby GPXtatic » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:33 pm

m4dmike, sounds like it could be an option i have my gearbox being taken out tommorow on the 1st to be looked at while open up. Would the gearbox u have fit a manual gpx mivec with a gear stick?
GPXtatic
1st gear
1st gear

What gearbox will fit a manual Gpx Mivec??

Postby GPXtatic » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:39 pm

ive got a 1998 GPX mivec manual gear shift Jap import model.

Would a euro gpx manual box fit? Could I take the gearbox (except automatic) from any FTO (Gr, GR s, GP) thats 2l even a NON mivec and put it into my GPX?

What gear box would work or fit?

Does it matter if its jap or a euro car?

Does it matter if its from a non mivec donor car to my mivec? These are just the things i dont know.

Basically, What are the models of FTO can i take the gearbox out to fit A FTO GPX Mivec manual with a gear crap (non tiptronic). Sorry for repeating myself, im bad at explaining sometimes.
GPXtatic
1st gear
1st gear

Postby mivecrx » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:02 am

GPXtatic wrote:m4dmike, sounds like it could be an option i have my gearbox being taken out tommorow on the 1st to be looked at while open up. Would the gearbox u have fit a manual gpx mivec with a gear stick?

A gr has the same gearbox as gpx, it will fit your car.
mivecrx

Re: What gearbox will fit a manual Gpx Mivec??

Postby mivecrx » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:05 am

Any manual gearbox from a 2.0 fto will work, it doesn't matter if it's mivec or not.

The gearbox from a 1.6 mivec mirage/lancer can be made fit, flywheel and few other bits need changing though.
mivecrx

Re: What gearbox will fit a manual Gpx Mivec??

Postby brccrx » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:24 am

mivecrx wrote:The gearbox from a 1.6 mivec mirage/lancer can be made fit, flywheel and few other bits need changing though.

I second that, have an FTO and using that gearbox without issues (after ive fit the correct size driveshaft) since a few weeks. Its even more economical than 1.6 Version R Mivec witch is so strange!! But i dont mind that hehe
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby GPXtatic » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:06 pm

Okay cool well i sent you a pm m4d bout the gearbox.
GPXtatic
1st gear
1st gear

Can gearbox from an auto work for manual, genuinely stuck.

Postby GPXtatic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:38 am

Post edited because I rush read a members post.

Thanks allot for the help lads even the tons of views my other post had, really trying hard here.

Merged topics- Bernard
GPXtatic
1st gear
1st gear

Mirage mivec gearbox in an Fto, whats needed exactly??

Postby GPXtatic » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:30 pm

So my last resort before selling my fto is to try and fit a gearbox from a mirage mivec 1.6l but is there any guide online on how to do it?? i messaged a guy on adverts asking him where he found a new one for the mirage mivec hes selling so waiting for a reply. I know someone on this did it with theres and they said it works grand but does anyone know whats needed exactly to make it fit.
GPXtatic
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Mirage mivec gearbox in an Fto, whats needed exactly??

Postby brccrx » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:58 pm

I did and all is quite described here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14454&start=25
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Bernard » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:19 pm

I've merged three of your gearbox threads into one, can you keep the related posts here please.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GPXtatic » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Sorry Bernard, will do :nwor
GPXtatic
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical