Misleading advert and dodgy Customer Care

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Misleading advert and dodgy Customer Care

Postby goz_83 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:22 pm

I saw a deal on one of those deals websites. The deal was for 4 wheels to be refurbished and resprayed/powder coated. There was a lot of mention of "choose any color" and "kerb damage" as part of the deal. I phoned them to ask about chroming the wheels (before buying the deal) and all of a sudden the price was €400, not €149 as stated in the deal. "only silver coat is covered in the deal" i was told. That wasn't very clear in the deal. So I decided, maybe it's still worth it to bring the wheels back to new and asked "so I just bring the wheels to you and how long do you keep them?" He said I have to bring the rims only and there was a charge of €15 per wheel to remove tires. The deal said there was a €15 charge for removing wheels, but said nothing about tires. This was on a Friday and I decided to think it over, based on that information. I have to say, the guy didn't seem too bothered if he lost the business. I tried ringing over the weekend to confirm that the kerb damage was covered, as there is a very minor lip bend in one alloy (i could probably repair myself). I had to leave a message on a form. I didn't hear back until just before the deal closed today and the reply was that only "curb rash" is covered. That was not made at all clear in the deal. He said "structural repair" is not covered. I would hardly call this little ding a structural repair as it would take them less than 5 minutes to do it. I know, because I had a bigger bend repaired on my bmw wheels and it took less than 20 minutes from wheel off, to driving away.

I am very put off by this place now, as they don't seem bothered at all. I had offered to pay the €150 for the refurb, so he wouldn't have to pay commission to the third party and he came back with €200, because the deal was over. 100 deals were offered and less than 40 sold, but he still wanted €200, plus whatever fee for the "structural repair". He would probably charge €100 extra if i didn't have them all shiney and sparkly too. As someone who has run several of these deals for my business, I am only too happy to accept payment from clients who missed the deal, which means I don't pay up to 60% commission to a third party advertiser. I have decided not to name and shame the company for such poor and misleading advertising and terrible customer care. Maybe the advertiser is partly to blame, but the owner made no apologies for the information advertised.

Rant Over.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Misleading advert and dodgy Customer Care

Postby optical illusion » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:13 pm

There have been a lot of complaints re: this.

Contact the voucher provider and let them know, they won't use him again in deals. They should know better anyway.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:51 pm

To be fair chroming is a different kettle of fish to respraying. Chroming requires a serious amount of equipment and H+S and environmental requirements and regulations whereas respraying or powdercoating can be done in a booth. The cost of chroming even small parts of a motorbike is serious money, so on that side of things I wouldn't have expected it being part of the deal. Thats of course providing that it was proper chroming as in stripping and dipping and not a fake chrome spray, cause €400 seems an extremely low quote even for one wheel not to mind 4!

On the other hand the kerb damage part should have been made clearer, as there is a lot of different types and rash is different to damage, one can be filled the other needs welding or in some cases a replacement part put in and welded, then of course the whole wheel has to be sandblasted and powdercoated. Also the customer care side of things should be addressed.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Dragonheart wrote:To be fair chroming is a different kettle of fish to respraying. Chroming requires a serious amount of equipment and H+S and environmental requirements and regulations whereas respraying or powdercoating can be done in a booth. The cost of chroming even small parts of a motorbike is serious money, so on that side of things I wouldn't have expected it being part of the deal. Thats of course providing that it was proper chroming as in stripping and dipping and not a fake chrome spray, cause €400 seems an extremely low quote even for one wheel not to mind 4!

On the other hand the kerb damage part should have been made clearer, as there is a lot of different types and rash is different to damage, one can be filled the other needs welding or in some cases a replacement part put in and welded, then of course the whole wheel has to be sandblasted and powdercoated. Also the customer care side of things should be addressed.

I agree with the chroming. It was "chrome effect", rather than the proper job. The ad specifically said "kerb damage", which is too vague and should have finished with a double star in the t&c's. One thing is for sure, the kerb damage to my wheel is very minor as I didnt even know it was there until i was giving it a wipe down. A deal company I advertised with made a few mistakes with my deal and didn't even send it to me for proof reading. I went out of my way to please dozens of people who misunderstood the offer and offered some of them free sessions to keep them satisfied. What goes around....
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Off Topic