sti 5 or manual GPVR. dilemma???

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

sti 5 or manual GPVR. dilemma???

Postby gary d » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:09 pm

guidance required! I have been watching a 99 Impreza wrx sti5 for a number of weeks at keighley trade performance, car was originally priced at £6495 but has been reduced to £4995. From the description and pictures car looks in amazing order. I currently have a 95 GPX tip needs minor work to tidy but otherwise a sound car! this is the first automatic car i've owned and to be honest kinda miss the driveability of a manual! How good are the manual gpvr's? really like the looks of the FTO but want more performance. opinions please.
gary d
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Yardie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:18 pm

Here are some reviews of keighley from the FTOOC that may make you reconsider: :lol:

"Keighley Sports and Trade Centre, Keighley (BD20 7DS)
This was the first garage I visited, and wow; was I shocked! They had 4 FTOs in, 3 with nice mods on, and one standard. However, after looking around each of them, starting them up and checking for damage, I wouldn’t touch any with a bargepole!!! Two of them seemed to have had accident damage, strut-braces bent, bonnets not fitting, strange angles on body panels, and engines that sound more like tractors than cars. They were unable to provide any documents for these cars, including auction sheets. Also they were very unfriendly, and unwilling to help. WARNING: STAY WELL AWAY!!!"

"Keighley are a joke"

"Yup, my mechanic has told me bad things about Keighley..."

"For legal reasons concerning this site, I thought I wouldn't put what I actually thought about Keighley Trade Centre But I think you get the jist.
"
"if you do buy from keighly trade centre be very aware that around here they have quite a rep for cack cars. Some are good but some are just plain aweful. If you buy it take someone who really knows the car in question and can propely check it over for you.

Any warrenty they offer will cover nothing at all and once you leave the place forget any repairs you think they might make as you have just bought it.
"

"Dont go near these guys, i live about 15 miles from thr and work with some guys from Keighley, theres rumours of them selling cars then nicking them back with the spare keys,i've been to a place called Torque in Keighley and its apparentley owned by the same guys,the motors they cant shift from KTS&P go thr.
They also own Keighley Trade and Keighley 4x4."
Yardie
1st gear
1st gear

Postby gary d » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:37 pm

cheers Yardie thanks for the heads up, thought it a little suspicious car being reduced from £6495 to £4995 first saw it advertised in auto trader at least 6 weeks ago, have since been watching it on their web site. I put the price reduction down to credit crunch. but now not so sure! would hate to make the trip from Belfast for the car to be a lemon, would have to drive my car there as I was planning to trade it in which would bump the price up in itself i.e petrol/ferry costs.
gary d
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:41 am

An Scooby STI is a VERY different car to the FTO. 4wd and turbo in a 3 box saloon versus a high revving NA coupe.

Much higher running costs on the Scooby - feels much quicker if mostly for the fact its a turbo kicking in at lower revs.

If performance AND looks are your goal - theres a lot to be said for a well sorted Manual Mivec FTO with upgraded brakes and suspension.

Both great cars though - you're not gonna loose either way.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gary d » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Allways had a soft spot for the scooby, came across my fto by chance a mate was selling his after I talked him in to a scooby he got an RB5. took me for a test drive asked when I was gettin mine but her in doors wanted a new kitchen! things we have to do to maintain domestic harmony! So he seized the oppourtunity to pitch his FTO to me, he bought the car in England from an FTOOC member, but student loan was burnin a hole in his pocket hence RB5!
gary d
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:10 pm

I think the only way ahead is to testdrive both..honest..

Completely different cars, so you have to decide which you can see yourself drive and get the most enjoyment from.

Personally I'd pick the fto..but that's because I freaking love em ;-)
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby gary d » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:55 pm

Nothing much compares to the sound of a scooby!
gary d
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby optical illusion » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:02 pm

Scooby sti's are cars I'd regard highly. I'm thinking that or an evo will be my Mommy car in the future.

Not saying it's a mommys car or anything, I just want a kick ass saloon ;)
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gary d » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:11 pm

optical illusion wrote:Scooby sti's are cars I'd regard highly. I'm thinking that or an evo will be my Mommy car in the future.

yeah I used that angle to try an sell it to the missus. you get the best of both worlds with the scooby or evo kickass performance and handling with real world practicality. I saw a guy in my local petrol station recently had a matching recaro style baby seat in the back, (flash git) even the WRX wagon (estate) is respectable enough, beats a bloody people carrier any day of the week!
gary d
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Johnk » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Scooby sti's are great car's to drive i loved the 1 i had, but if you want something that stand's out I would say an fto but the best thing for you to do is take both for a drive and see what you think after all thats the only way you will get a feel for the car
Johnk
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:36 pm

gary d wrote:
optical illusion wrote:Scooby sti's are cars I'd regard highly. I'm thinking that or an evo will be my Mommy car in the future.

yeah I used that angle to try an sell it to the missus. you get the best of both worlds with the scooby or evo kickass performance and handling with real world practicality. I saw a guy in my local petrol station recently had a matching recaro style baby seat in the back, (flash git) even the WRX wagon (estate) is respectable enough, beats a bloody people carrier any day of the week!

I totally agree.. dont forget the Galant VR4 or even the legnum if you're looking for something large with some grunt to it..

Pretty good value to be had too if you're willing to run around and look for a while before pouncing.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Return to Other Cars