FTO PC install

A forum for IT related questions

Moderator: Moderators

FTO PC install

Postby CJ » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:50 pm

Check out this pretty detailed guide on installing a mini PC \ touchscreen into an FTO, the quality of work on the centre console is top class.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:18 am

That is an incredible job alright, really tidy and professional looking!

Only one thing I would say is how tempting must that look to a potential thief, looks really easy to grab.

There was one guy I saw somewhere who had a touch screen in his FTO, but he took one of the OEM 2 din Mitsi radios, cut off the front, and used it as a mask. It did look a bit untidy when the radio mask was removed but if he set this guy loose on it you'd have a fantastic job sorted out.

You thinking of going the carputer route CJ?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:00 am

kevinod wrote:You thinking of going the carputer route CJ?

I've been thinking about it for the past couple of years Kev, I just havn't found the time or the inclination! One of these days...(there I go procrastinating again ;))

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:52 pm

This is the type of setup that make me kick myself for having bought a dvd changer yoke for the car.

ah well... I suppose that if I REALLY wanted to it would be possible to install both .. then again... It'll probably be one of those.."I wish I'd...." things..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby pergau » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:52 pm

I know it's a little off the subject and that the jobbie that that guy has done goes far beyond playing music, but the big offer at LIDL next week is a car stereo CD with MP3 suport and a USB port for €99.

This means that you can get a 512Mb (or bigger) DIsgo and change your music that way. You could probably put 10 albums on a 512Mb stick. I assume that it is USB2 comaptible so you could get an external laptop drive and casing and put all of your music on that. You could pick up a casing for $25 and it will power off of the USB.

My solution was to get a CD player with MP3 support and just burn all my music to CD.

Just a thought.
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby CJ » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:12 pm

pergau wrote: but the big offer at LIDL next week is a car stereo CD with MP3 suport and a USB port for €99.

I did see that alright, my only concern was that this isn't a known brand and that there was no info on the rear outputs in the event you wanted to connect it to an amp. The output per channel is 20W RMS which isn't that great (my own JVC puts out 45W RMS per channel from the internal amp). With all of that in mind, €99 is very cheap for what you get and you shouldn't expect top class audio quality for that price. See it here:

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c. ... 19.p.Radio

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:22 pm

Agreed.. You definately should expect much in terms of sound quality..But GOD that is cheap - and it doesn't look too bad designwise either.

Just remember if you use Variable bitrate (VBR) to encode your MP3s you might experience some issue during play-back - both with skipping and time remaining display..

I once had a goodmans stereo..(GOD it was CRAP!)..but like this Lidl yoke it was terribly cheap and it was supposed to play MP3 & WMA..WMA playback was alright up to version 9 I think...it just stopped recognizing the files.. and it completely locked up on playback on VBR mp3s..Decoding quality was definately lacking some as well..sometimes it would sound all digitised even if the file was encoded in 44.1 192kbps

My Sony mp3 yoke plays all types of mp3s - no WMA support though which is fine..I tend to steer well clear of WMAs..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Return to Computers and IT