CAT replacement

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

CAT replacement

Postby TAF » Fri May 07, 2004 5:41 pm

Hi guys,
I was wondering if replacing the CAT would give a few more bhp and also what do you do with the lambda sensor that goes into the CAT box, do you just leave it unplugged or bypass it somehow?

Cheers guys.

P.s You guys are doin a great job here.
TAF
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Kace » Fri May 07, 2004 5:49 pm

Gives maybe a couple of extra BHP but ultimately reduces your torque. This was proven to me by my two outings to the rolling road. It does give a much throatier sound - especially if you have a stainless Mongoose or Draager exhaust fitted. Throatier to the extent that you can actually set of other peoples car alarms in underground car parks as you rumble by :lol:
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Barry » Fri May 07, 2004 6:13 pm

Straight through exhausts do sound good, especially at 8,000 rpm.

But be careful about going for a cat bypass see Shane's recommendation if you have a Drager exhaust

Be careful if you decat as the Super Drager has mild steel internals so you'll likely blow the baffles and end up with a rattling backbox which will probably need to be changed. AFAIK a lot of UK owners have had problems with this.

Hope this helps,

Barry
Barry
Unleaded
Unleaded

Re: CAT replacement

Postby CJ » Fri May 07, 2004 6:59 pm

Taf, Kace hit the nail on the head there, as regards the lambda sensor, theres a threaded barrel on the bypass pipe where the sensor is screwed in place.

P.s You guys are doin a great job here.

:)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical