I bought a knackered FTO

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

I bought a knackered FTO

Postby charger » Sun May 09, 2010 12:28 am

Hi the above is not strictly true but it certainly wasn't road legal when i got it, it had been in a bit of a bump so i had to replace the rear bumper which was surprisingly easy though making it all straight took a little while.
It had also been standing for a while because the alternator pulley had corroded solid to the body of the alternator so i whipped it out (by whipped out i mean i spent a week agonizing over the best way to remove the bugger that didn't require a plasma cutter) in the end i unbolted the suspension jacked up the engine and wiggled like my life depended on it.
Then discovered that mitsubishi wanted about £500 for a new one so using expletives that i shall not repeat here i looked on ebay and got a brand spanking new one for £90 8) .
Then i discovered the hand brake had decided to rust solid but with a hammer a screw driver and a can of wd40 i convinced it to hold the round things still.
Then on the morning of it's MOT i found that the indicator lights that tell you what gear it's in had stopped working completley and it seemed sluggish which i now know means it put itself in third gear also it stopped beeping when put in reverse.
But i didn't have time then to worry about it so it went for it's MOT (which it passed) now i am trying to figure out what this new problem is i cant imagine it is a mechanical issue since the car wasn't in use for quite a while before i got it and was working fine before i started work on it, and wasn't driven at all before the MOT.
I tried resetting the computer but that didn't help,so now i am just confused it is now at a garage but they haven't figured it out yet either so any ideas would be welcome.

I'd put a picture up but i've spent so much time under it that i haven't had a chance to do any posing yet :smt089
charger

Re: I bought a knackered FTO

Postby colm_mcm » Sun May 09, 2010 1:43 pm

I'd change the transmission fluid and do a diagnostic id I were you. Details of both jobs can be found using the search function
colm_mcm

Postby charger » Mon May 10, 2010 6:05 pm

Nothing comes up on the diagnosis codes i should probably have done that before i tried resetting the computer.
I'll try putting my question in the tech part of the forum.
charger

Postby CJ » Mon May 10, 2010 7:12 pm

Have you driven the car since the reset? If not, then the problem may not have be triggered and logged (you're checking the flashing 'N' light, right?). First thing to check is ATF level and grade, then gearbox sensors. Have a search of the forum for more info (i.e. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10270).

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby charger » Wed May 12, 2010 1:20 am

Well the FTO is sorted it turns out i made a bit of a mistake while i was repairing the rear bumper when i bolted the rear lights back in i managed to pinch the wires and this was causing this fuse number 3 on the first picture to short out.
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15276
I had noticed this fuse was burnt out but according to the fuse diagram from the service manual i had it was just a "back door lamp" fuse where as in the diagram i found on the australian website it does a hell of of a lot more than that so do a few of the others as well.
So after fixing the wiringand replacing the fuse all is peachy the fto runs beautifully now i just need to put my sister off because she is pestering to buy it off me, apparently already having four cars i am being greedy as she is smitten with it she has even started calling it HAROLD :smt100
charger

Return to Introduce yourself