Lens cleaning time again?

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Lens cleaning time again?

Postby mcgon1979 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:10 pm

I really need to clean the Lenses more often. It's been over a year anyway... Possibly a lot longer I think.
I didn't even clean them for the NCT (as you can see in the photo I posted over in the NCT forum).
I cleaned them the other night though (clocks going back and all), and wow, such a difference. I reckon my lights will be much more effective at night now with less light been obstructed by the fog/cloudiness.
Had tried using Simoniz compound which is like a hard wax type, and I'd also tried using Liquid T-Cut, but the best I used was the Formula 1 liquid compound. It's more like a paste than a liquid though. It doesn't run. Anyway, delighted with the old results.

Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Re: Lens cleaning time again?

Postby goz_83 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:00 am

I have found that sanding them down and reapplying lacquer works an absolute treat. Using compounds doesn't last, but it all depends on how often you want to elbow grease it. Applying lacquer is a bit more tricky.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:30 pm

goz_83 wrote:I have found that sanding them down and reapplying lacquer works an absolute treat. Using compounds doesn't last, but it all depends on how often you want to elbow grease it. Applying lacquer is a bit more tricky.

Yeah, I hear ya goz. It doesn't last long. I'd say the laquer might be too messy for me to undertake. I'd more than likely mkae a pigs ear of it. lol
I'll just keep them compounded or waxed more regularly. A good coat of wax might help make it easier to wash/wipe off the dust/fog as it gathers. We'll see.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby optical illusion » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:55 pm

Just use a tube of toothpaste and be done with it :D
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:56 am

optical illusion wrote:Just use a tube of toothpaste and be done with it :D

Light mints
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion