The new car...

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

The new car...

Postby soc » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:20 pm

standard except for audi tt gear linkage and audt tt pedals.....

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:03 pm

Looks well (and sensible ;))

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:31 am

oh so sensible!! :shock:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:32 am

Dave wrote:oh so sensible!! :shock:

ouch.... :lol:

I gotta get rid of that horrible wood trim though - it's the only thing I really, really dislike about the car. Hoping to replace it with brushed aluminium trim from the R32. But before that my immediate requirements are a forge DV, REVO chip :twisted:, eibach anti-roll bars, Audi TT carriers and disks. Then maybe we can look at the alu trim, gear knob, tacho rings and some uprated shocks (not really interested in lowering to be honest). Over time I might look at bigger/wider wheels but right now I'm not that fussed......
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:28 am

Does look well, if sensible... :P I do agree with ya on the wood trim, it just looks horrendous in cars, doesn't ever actually look/feel like its actually wood and I just don't see a point in it at all. Well, one of my car pet hates.

FTO gone into spray painters today until Friday to get the left side, back bumper and boot lid sorted, all the little 'momentos' the previous owner left on her. Have my brother's Golf TDi (01) today, lots of power low down, can't help comparing it to the FTO, Golf's suspension much softer (bouncy nearly) and driving position way higher. Wouldn't be too bad as an alternative to the FTO I guess!

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby soc » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:49 pm

kevinod wrote:I do agree with ya on the wood trim, it just looks horrendous in cars, doesn't ever actually look/feel like its actually wood and I just don't see a point in it at all. Well, one of my car pet hates.

yup, it's one of mine too - I bought the car always knowing I'd have to change that trim - only problem is it's mad money - about 400 euro to change all the bits :(

Have my brother's Golf TDi (01) today, lots of power low down, can't help comparing it to the FTO, Golf's suspension much softer (bouncy nearly) and driving position way higher. Wouldn't be too bad as an alternative to the FTO I guess!
Kev.

nice thing about the gti - you can lower (or raise) the seats so the driving position isn't too bad. And I do find the seats to be more comfortable (I swear :-)). that said - it is still a soft ride (especially speed bumps) so could do with some stiffer dampers, am looking at some OEM bilsteins or konis with eibach springs..... accch, I've gotta stop spending money on cars :?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:26 pm

shane wrote:..could do with some stiffer dampers, am looking at some OEM bilsteins or konis with eibach springs..... accch, I've gotta stop spending money on cars :?

This was the reason you switched from an FTO - to stop spending money on cars - and now you are gonna spend it on a GOLF - NNOOOO!

The only think that Golf needs is the RS4 alloys - if you give it more power you are also gonna have to sort suspension and brakes. It would be far cheaper in the long term to just stump up for the alloys and forget the rest (except maybe sorting the wood trim).

Alternatively - hang onto the Golf for a few months - do nothing with it apart from fill with petrol and oil - and stay on the lookout for a late model GPvR.

You know it makes sense :wink:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:29 pm

i would have to agree..... no point in spending serious money on the car unless you are contemplating holding onto it longer than you want to.

nice 98/99 GPvR..... tasty!! :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:46 pm

shane wrote:nice thing about the gti - you can lower (or raise) the seats so the driving position isn't too bad. And I do find the seats to be more comfortable (I swear :-)).

Ya, I could probably adjust the seat a lot more, but I don't want to mess up the seat settings too much on him, giving it back to him at 6 this evening. Heh, he'd be there for days trying to get it perfect again. :lol:

Believe you on the Golf seats, my Xsara seats are really really comfortable, even after having the car 4 1/2 years and the FTO only a couple of months, I sit back into the Xsara and it instantly hits me how exceptionally comfortable they are. FTO seats aren't bad at all, one of the better ones I've sat into, but the Xsara seats....

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Speedyboy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:11 pm

Sell the Golf and By an R34 GTT very comfortable and quiet (until we put on the induction kit) :twisted: , Costs less than the Golf and itS more powerful & tuneable, Oh and rwd
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby soc » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:06 pm

Speedyboy wrote:Sell the Golf and By an R34 GTT very comfortable and quiet (until we put on the induction kit) :twisted: , Costs less than the Golf and itS more powerful & tuneable, Oh and rwd

Believe it or not this is something that has crossed my mind since seeing carolines one........ probably only a pipe dream though.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:10 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
shane wrote:..could do with some stiffer dampers, am looking at some OEM bilsteins or konis with eibach springs..... accch, I've gotta stop spending money on cars :?

This was the reason you switched from an FTO - to stop spending money on cars - and now you are gonna spend it on a GOLF - NNOOOO!

The only think that Golf needs is the RS4 alloys - if you give it more power you are also gonna have to sort suspension and brakes. It would be far cheaper in the long term to just stump up for the alloys and forget the rest (except maybe sorting the wood trim).

Aye, I understand your point. But to be honest for the price of a set of wheels (plus tyres)I could have the car chipped to 200bhp, uprated anti-roll bars with 30 mm lowering springs and audi tt front disks fitted.

I reckon spending a small(ish) amount of money to make the car closer to what it should have been from factory probably isn't a bad thing. <as I try really hard to justify all this to myself>.......

Alternatively - hang onto the Golf for a few months - do nothing with it apart from fill with petrol and oil - and stay on the lookout for a late model GPvR.

You know it makes sense :wink:

yea - this I would like to do - I just have to wait until the wife is ready to change cars :(
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars