Creaking Suspension

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Creaking Suspension

Postby JD » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:59 pm

Hi All,
Another problem I'd like some advice on from the experts. When I go over speed ramps (slowly) or over bumps etc. my suspension creakes - like a very loud old door creaking door. I've checked for leaks - none - and I've pushed each corner up and down and the suspensions appears to working OK.
Any Ideas :?:
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: Creaking Suspension

Postby soc » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:33 pm

JD wrote:Hi All,
Another problem I'd like some advice on from the experts. When I go over speed ramps (slowly) or over bumps etc. my suspension creakes - like a very loud old door creaking door. I've checked for leaks - none - and I've pushed each corner up and down and the suspensions appears to working OK.
Any Ideas :?:

front or back?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:36 pm

I have a similar problem on the offside rear, its either a worn top-mount or suspension bushes. This is one of the things I need to get seen to before the NCT in a month or two...

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JD » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:45 pm

Thanks Ciaran,
Any idea where I'd go to get that looked at? I'm in Enfield and work in Dublin.
Dave
JD

Postby JD » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:47 pm

Hi Shane,
I can't work out if its the front or back 'cause I can only hear it when I'm in the car - can't get it to do from outside!
Dave
JD

Postby JD » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:41 pm

Update - My wife just came in and assures me it's the front right that's making the noise, if that a help.
Cheers
Dave
JD

Postby steelroe » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:16 pm

Two things guys:

1. The only real way of testing a suspension strut is to remove it from the car, disassemble from the coil spring and then check that the shock arm raises quickly when forced down also the force required to push it down should be strong. I have tried the old bouncing method before on several cars and still found the shocks to be faulty.

2. I replaced my top suspension mounts just before the accident and most of the squeeking and banging noises I had experienced had gone.

Rory.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:33 pm

steelroe wrote:
2. I replaced my top suspension mounts just before the accident and most of the squeeking and banging noises I had experienced had gone.

Rory.

Rory, where did you pick up the top mounts and how much? A P/N would be really useful.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:42 pm

I purchased the mounts from Mitsubishi. The guy also mentioned that the same mounts were listed for one of the models of colt. I will send you the part numbers and get back to him as I would nearly sure that factors would have the parts.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Creaking Suspension

Postby Dwalsh » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:56 pm

JD,

I had this problem some time ago when I went over speed ramps also, it took me some time to find but it was caused by the nut on the top of the front suspension being slightly loose. When you look at the top of the suspension there is a black cap. Lift off this cap and it should be full of grease. There is a nut in here make sure this nut is tight mine was slightly loose and since I tightened it I've had no problems :) . Hope this helps.

Denis.
Dwalsh
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Kace » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:16 pm

Rory - can you post up the part numbers here if you get the chance. Also, how much ? I presume they're pretty cheap.
Cheers
KC
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:58 am

Part number for Front Suspension Top mounts is MR131420.

Now for the bad news, I paid €160 for the two from Mitsubishi. I would bet that these are available from factors. I will be talking to the guy in Mitsi later this morning and will ask him which model of colt they fit.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical