Sat. Internet

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Sat. Internet

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:33 pm

Hi Guys,

This is completely and entirely off topic... nothing to do with cars at all!
As some of you might be aware I live in "the sticks" - as a direct result of this I cannot get broadband the conventional way - the signal isnt' strong enough.
I'm currently connecting using my mini-splatter 56k modem connection - and it sucks.
So I've been looking around for alternative solutions, and I've found sattelite internet. Seemingly SKY offer a couple of different solutions.

(If want to have a look: http://www.teles-skydsl.com//?tpl=page/home)

No the trick to this is that I'd still need to use the 56k modem for all outgoing stuff. Now in my mind that makes stuff like gaming and sending files, ftp, p2p and all that pretty crappy. Does anybody here have any experience with using sat. internet?

Do you know of any other providers that are cheaper/better or just offering different pacakges/terms?

OR even better if you know of a provider that covers Donore (Including the new estate!) I'd be thrilled...Fed up with 56k...
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Re: Sat. Internet

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:48 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:No the trick to this is that I'd still need to use the 56k modem for all outgoing stuff. Now in my mind that makes stuff like gaming and sending files, ftp, p2p and all that pretty crappy. Does anybody here have any experience with using sat. internet?

As you say, any outbound traffic will be limited to 7kbit/sec, as long as you're not sending a lot of data (P2P, FTP, large email attachments etc) then it might be workable, most of your traffic will be downstream.

The other problem with satellite is that the round trip delay is huge in real terms (~1000ms), after all, the next hop 'router' is a few thousand miles away! You can forget about gaming when you're talking about that level of latency....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:55 pm

Forget to mention, check out http://www.meath.ie/Broadband/ re Group Broadband Scheme...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:52 pm

Nice1 CJ - thanks..

I'm not 100% certain - but maybe just maybe those net1.ie peeps have me covered.. will defo give them a call...
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:13 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:I'm not 100% certain - but maybe just maybe those net1.ie peeps have me covered

Their coverage certainly extends close to where you're at:

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IrishPhoenix » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:24 am

Is that the wine you were talking about on the road?
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine'.
- Tommy Cooper
IrishPhoenix
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:41 am

IrishPhoenix wrote:Is that the wine you were talking about on the road?

FFS!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I turns out that these guys do have cover in Donore... abolutely AWESOME! I'll be arranging for a LOS test ASAP...
No more getting friends to download stuff for me... YAAAY!!!
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Return to Off Topic