Help - rear wheel clicking noise

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Help - rear wheel clicking noise

Postby aum108 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:13 am

Hi all,

On my '95 FTO, the left rear wheel has started making a 'tic-tic-tic-tic...' clicking sound that gets quicker as the car's speed increases.

When turning right, the clicking gets louder and more metallic sounding. When turning left, the clicking mostly goes away. Driving on the straight, the clicking is mild.

When I reverse out of a car park, sometimes the wheel makes one sudden metallic noise. After this, the clicking sound when driving forward is a lot milder for a while.

Can anyone please suggest how I might track down the problem for sure, and even some pointers for fixing it? I'm hoping to track it down to definite cause without wasting hours and spending a fortune on parts to swap in and out in a 'hit and miss' diagnostic exercise.

I'm also apprehensive to take it to a workshop. Most of the mechanics in my city are really clever at "inventing" mechanical problems. One guy quoted $140 to fit new rear brake pads, then by the end of the day, and 3 calls later, had inflated the cost to nearly $1000. So I'd much rather skill up and fix it myself.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
David
aum108
Unleaded
Unleaded

Re: Help - rear wheel clicking noise

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:39 am

Check the metal guards aren't rubbing off the brake disc.

Is it def coming from the back?
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:09 am

Check the brake hoses and lines and make sure nothing has come away from a bracket, or has come loose in any other way. I had the same clicking a couple of weeks ago and it turned out to a small loose part that only made a noise when I got to around 25mph+. I dropped it into the garage, as it was really annoying and they fixed it without charging me. In saying that, I do give them a lot of business and there was no sudden noise when reversing. You would be best to jack it up and spin the rear wheels if your sure that's where the noise is coming from.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby holio » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:44 pm

As goz said, chaulk the front wheels and jack up the rear. See if you car replicate the noise while looking at it.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to FTO Technical