Tiptronic Gearbox problems

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Tiptronic Gearbox problems

Postby tamsaoud11 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi guys, Its Tam here from Scotland, I am sorry I should have introduced myself earlier, I have a 96 Tip GPX with 55k on the clock , a couple of months ago , N flashes as car stuck in 3rd gear after about 30 min of driving, did some search and did a diagnostic and got 41,41,43 codes, first I changed the gearbox oil , reset Ecu , didn't help, so had to replace input and output speed sensors, thinking that that must be it but no luck , checked all the wiring to the sensors and all fine, I am really stuck and dont know what to do , took it to a garage , advised me that there is no output and all they said get another gearbox ! could that be right ? is there anything else I could do or check? I have been driving the car like that for the last couple of months and it seems fine the first 30 min then I get the flashing N so I stop the car switch ignition off and start it again and the car is fine for another 10 min or so and the same things happens again and again, it seems to happen more often when driving in town and gears keep changing but on motorways its better. any idea what could be wrong please?

Thanks
tamsaoud11
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Tiptronic Gearbox problems

Postby Dragonheart » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:56 am

Seems a bit early to be having problems with only 55K on the clock. Does it do it in auto mode only? What happens if you switch it into tip mode and try and change gears yourself?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby fatboyfat7 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Same thing was happening mine even after i changed sensors etc. I had to replace the gearbox. Well actually I converted it to a manual. Something about friction on plates or something. Steelroe maybe able to enlighten you more. Now that was just my experience, hopefully yours isnt as serious...
Fully functional White GPvR....
fatboyfat7
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby tamsaoud11 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks guys for your reply, well it happens on both tip and auto, usually when I am on 3rd gear and release my foot , so to fool it I keep changing down to 2nd and try and shift quicker to forth and not stay on 3rd for long and that seems to extend it a bit longer but as soon as I slow down I get the damn flashing N and get stuck on 3rd, the other thing I have noticed aswell , is that when I first put the car on D or 1st in Tip it takes about 4 seconds for the car to start moving so there is some kind of delay and when I stop in traffic light and the car is on D , the car rolls back as if its on Neutral so I have to either use my handbrake or the brakes to stop the car from rolling back , but again this happens alot but not all the times. so if its the gearbox that is gone then as soon as I start the car and start driving then it should go straight to 3rd ( am I right?) but the fact that it drives fine for the first 30-40 min then the problems start then restart the car and it drives fine again for another 15 min or so, and this scenario happens every single day and thats what makes me think its electrical and not mechanical, plus if its the plates inside the gearbox , shouldn't the oil be discoloured and smells of burning? when I changed it didnt it was pinky reddish so dont know , what do you guys think? by the way when I changed the oil I didnt change the filter as I couldnt find any locally and did not have the patience to wait to order one on line, could this be the problem?
your thoughts are appreciated!
cheers
tamsaoud11
1st gear
1st gear

Postby CJ » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:43 pm

Tam, as per your pm, see my response below. Note that most of this info is already on the forum in some form or other, search is your friend:

What specific grade of oil did you use? I've been extolling the virtues of Amsoil ATF for some time , search the forum for 'Amsoil' for more info. Amsoil contains the correct friction inhibitors, the likes of Dextron III doesn't.

The problem doesn't sound like an issue with the torque convertor which is the most common cause of gearbox failure. Its either a problem with sensors,the friction plates or planetary gears.

Did you use new input and output speed sensors? If not then get new ones. An ATF filter is only a couple of quid, get one and fit it as a matter or course.

The friction plates can be replaced by a good competant mechanic, same for the gear sets.

If you haven't read section 23 of part 1 of the Workshop Manual then get it from the Downloads page.

In summary:

1. Replace the ATF filter
2. Use new I/O sensors if you havn't already done so. Check the connections to both sensors.
3. Use the correct grade of ATF (must meet Mitsi Diaqueen \ Diamond SPIII i.e. Amsoil)
4. Have a good read of the A/T section of the workshop manual
5. When you'e ruled out the filter, ATF, sensors and sensor connectors, get the friction plates and gear sets checked and replaced if required. Alternatively replace the box.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tamsaoud11 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks CJ for getting back, I have used Dextron III and I have replaced the sensors with new ones, and the mechanic checked the connectors and wires and said it was fine , when he plugged a mut he said there was no reading for the out put, he jacked up the front wheels and put the gear to D and the wheels were not spinning , only when I put my foot down and the wheels start spinning.
I will replace the oil again and use Amsoil and the filter
if it is the plates , does this sound ok?
A Japanese manufactured OE quality kit containing pressure plate, friction plate and release bearing
Excellent value and a substantial saving over dealer prices.
Clutch kit all V6 models £129.00
thats was found here
http://www.spmotor.co.uk/ftonewengine.htm
or where can i get them? I checked camskill and they dont sell them , would I need to get them from Mitsubishi? and if so would it not be cheaper to get another box? , I can get one from ebay for about £200 and the garage would maybe charge around £150 to fit it if I am lucky thats on top of the £160 I have already wasted on the o/I sensors
I wish I kept my old manual GPX I never had any bother with her :roll:

Thanks again for your advice CJ
tamsaoud11
1st gear
1st gear

Postby tamsaoud11 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:50 am

Hi guys, does any one know if GR gearbox would fit a GPX?
Thanks
tamsaoud11
1st gear
1st gear

Postby boru » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:41 pm

As far as I know the mivec has a 27 spline driveshaft while the rest have a 25 spline one.
boru
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby tamsaoud11 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:32 pm

right. thanks boru I was just about buying it when the seller told me it fits all 2L FTO'S
cheers mate!
tamsaoud11
1st gear
1st gear

Postby rainspawn » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:02 pm

I have a problem with my auto box. when in auto wont change out of first and when in manual i can only go between first and second, reverse is fine. diagnostic brings up output speed sensor by replacing it is this likely to solve the problem? fluid has been checked, new filter been added, ecu reset. within an hour of driving same problem occurs until its reset and keeps flagging the sensor. is this likely to be the prolem or should i be looking somewhere else?
any help gratefully received.
rainspawn

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:38 pm

rainspawn wrote:diagnostic brings up output speed sensor by replacing it is this likely to solve the problem?

Quite likely, yes. Replace the input speed sensor while you're at it.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical