So what's the general View on the Supra?

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:58 pm

CJ wrote:
If you turbo charge the FTO, you could use a boost controller and set it at a level in each gear just below the point where full power causes wheel spin, this should enable you to get maximum thrust without too much instability up front. You'd probably need to use an aftermarket ECU such as as Mines VX ROM in conjuction with a boost controller. Theres a 500bhp CTR featured in last months Jap Performance magazine and it appears to pretty stable, that said, you'd talking a bucket load of cash to do the job right. In terms of production cars, the Alfa 147 GTA knocks out 250bhp and its FWD, I believe it suffers badly from torque steer (just like the FTO at times).

CJ

Or a LSD would help,but getting one of these for a car that didn't come with one (IE mine) costs a few quid!
i'll reserve judgement and any decisions though until i do get it in and see what happens i suppose!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:02 pm

CJ wrote:
Muad_dib77 wrote:The FWD is the ONLY thing I don't care much for in the FTO

You've a short memory Muad ;)

Muad_dib77 wrote:]I liked the GPX better than the tip - but I guess that's mainly because I just don't care for automatics

CJ

Heh well yeah true I do have a short memory.. but I also have a manual ;-)

Decided not to go tip :-)*

*(Edit: The Comment above applies to Automatics in general - not FTOs..I looooove FTOs)
Last edited by Muad_dib77 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:05 pm

Dave wrote:Or a LSD would help

I wouldn't imagine that an LSD would help out in this instance all that much, it will certainly improve handling when cornering or on rough ground in the event that theres a difference in the rotational velocity between the nearside\offside wheels mind you. Boost control and clever mapping are the only solutions for high powered FWD motors IMO....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:11 pm

Dave wrote:
CJ wrote:
If you turbo charge the FTO, you could use a boost controller and set it at a level in each gear just below the point where full power causes wheel spin, this should enable you to get maximum thrust without too much instability up front. You'd probably need to use an aftermarket ECU such as as Mines VX ROM in conjuction with a boost controller. Theres a 500bhp CTR featured in last months Jap Performance magazine and it appears to pretty stable, that said, you'd talking a bucket load of cash to do the job right. In terms of production cars, the Alfa 147 GTA knocks out 250bhp and its FWD, I believe it suffers badly from torque steer (just like the FTO at times).

CJ

Or a LSD would help,but getting one of these for a car that didn't come with one (IE mine) costs a few quid!
i'll reserve judgement and any decisions though until i do get it in and see what happens i suppose!

Beat me to it - an LSD would be a must have and theres quite a few FTO's running a limited slip differential in the UK. I had an lsd in a previous Racing Puma and had one in my GF's MX5 and it really makes a difference when putting power down and controlling the car when it starts to slide.

I don't think it would be all that expensive to get an LSD fitted to the FTO - would be a worthwhile addition if you were running a big power turbo (ie 250bhp+) on the road or doing a lot of trackdays in a manual GPX/GPvR.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:32 pm

GPvR has LSD as standard does it not ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:44 pm

Kace wrote:GPvR has LSD as standard does it not ?

I think so... ;)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby dave100 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:52 pm

Race Logic Traction Control??

Or is that too :r
dave100
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Previous

Return to Japanese Performance