Door lights (footwell) not lighting up

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Door lights (footwell) not lighting up

Postby Bartpabicz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi everyone,

Just today I went ahead to install new door lights so it would cover the footwell with a nice red glow. Just so you know, I think I did not have stock lights in there, it was the "kick to light up" sort on both sides of the central console at the bottom.
So, I went ahead and removed the insulation from one of the cables (two thick leads with black loose insulation with a belt of 4 small wires inside each, if I remember correctly colored red, yellow, green and black) and checked if the LEDs will work. They did, so I pushed the longer lead behind the console to the passenger side and connected all wires. To my surprise, LEDs didn't light up at all. Apparently in all my wisdom I did not insulate the wires before pushing them through, neither did I disconnect the battery :oops: Anyway, I checked the other set of wires on the driver's side, all were dead as well, even though I didn't touch them at all until that point. Checked for voltage in all eight of them and it's zero. Completely flat. All other lights do light up correctly, including map lights that normally respond to door sensor as well. Everything works as normal, just these two leads are dead. All fuses are ok, double-checked and triple-checked all of them. Does anyone have any idea what else should I check? I was talking to a friend of mine and he told me that two small parts beneath the steering wheel, I think he called them relays, might need to be replaced, but since he wasn't too convinced, I prefer to ask professionals here :wink: I'd appreciate any help guys.

A small update: is it possible that part of ECU is fried? Read it somewhere on the Internet...
have you seen Zeitgeist The Movie? You should...
Bartpabicz
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: Door lights (footwell) not lighting up

Postby Bartpabicz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:52 am

problem solved, my mechanic fixed it, but what he did I will have to find out the next time I talk to him. I pointed him towards relays anyway, so might have something to do with that after all.
have you seen Zeitgeist The Movie? You should...
Bartpabicz
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to FTO Technical