The Price Of Perfection

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Price Of Perfection

Postby goz_83 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Just got new brake lines put in, costing €150. She is now in the garage getting new rear break hoses. Will cost another €120. Leatherette seats delivered today, hopefully will get installed tomorrow.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Where do ya buy your pants????
I want a pair with pockets as deep as yours. :lol:
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby holio » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Your wife divorced you yet? If my girlfriend found me spending that on a car id only bought id never hear the end of it, actually i would but only after shed spent the same amount in dundrum :shock:
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Uncle B » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Looking forward to the pictures when she's done Gary
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:14 am

StewyD32 wrote:Where do ya buy your pants????
I want a pair with pockets as deep as yours. :lol:

Penneys. Every penny saved is a euro spent on the car.

holio wrote:Your wife divorced you yet? If my girlfriend found me spending that on a car id only bought id never hear the end of it, actually i would but only after shed spent the same amount in dundrum :shock:

Divorce? I would only end up with the fto anyway :) Besides, she is still complaining about me putting spud encrusted pots into the dishwasher...it'll be a while before she moves onto whinging about the fto. I just hide the receipts where she will never look.....her old hand bags.

Uncle B wrote:Looking forward to the pictures when she's done Gary

Lookin forward to gettin it finished. Will keep thread updated with pics too.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:53 pm

Grrrrrr...Collected car today, but the garage had wrong hoses, so no change. Rang consort in Finglas and they said they would have them in 2 hours, so I collected, brought car back to garage and still the wrong hoses. The bracket was offside and needs to be centre of the hose. Ordered what looks to be the correct ones from camskill. Fingers crossed.

My bro is currently putting the trim over my seats. Not an easy job, but i reckon it will be worth it. I think i will drop down and take a look, as i have done a couple of times already. Thank god i did, because without my help, he would have just had them over the original trim.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:35 am

What's your initial thoughts on the trims? I'm in two minds whether to get leatherette or Recaros/racing seats
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B

Postby Bernard » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:12 am

I was thinking the same a while back, went for the recaros in the end.
http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11377&p=97068
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:42 am

Uncle B wrote:What's your initial thoughts on the trims? I'm in two minds whether to get leatherette or Recaros/racing seats

Well my fingers are in bits from pulling the leatherette round the seats to get it tight. The drivers seat was covered last night when I went down to have look and lend a hand. It wasn't perfect when I was leaving last night; there were a few ripples in the upper arm of the seat, but they can be stretched out a bit. Apparently the foam shrinks over time, so it wont be perfect unless I beef up the foam, but overall, I reckon I made the right choice. I would pick them over the racing seats any time. I will upload pics when they are in place.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:55 am

Seats are back in. In need of a little bit of tucking, but very pleased with it. Pics to come soon.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Would have taken more, but I have the man flu today.

As mentioned, they need a little tug here and there, but very pleased with the trims.

goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:31 pm

There are a couple of issues with these trims and I have emailed the shop about the problems. I am waiting on a response. I can't recommend them with the faults but I hope it was just down to Christmas rush. I will keep you updated.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby holio » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:15 pm

goz_83 wrote:There are a couple of issues with these trims and I have emailed the shop about the problems. I am waiting on a response. I can't recommend them with the faults but I hope it was just down to Christmas rush. I will keep you updated.

What kind of issues? They not to fitting 100%
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:37 pm

The quality of the finish seems a bit rushed and it seems there is no support around the material covering the seat belt shoulder harnesses, causing some ripping. Like I said, I've contacted them to give them a fair chance to fix the problem. I will let you know how I get on and if it's negative, will give the full details. If its positive, I will be singing their praises.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gfalls » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 am

I'd demand a refund. Sorry, but they look terrible... :?

More like Halfraud's cheapies, than bespoke replacements. :|
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby StewyD32 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:45 pm

:whs

But I didn't want to say anything.
I'm kinda I waited to see what yours was like.

Did you get any word back from them
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:24 pm

They should be a lot tighter than than, they look like seat covers rather than fitted leathette covers.
Should have gone Recaro.....
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Watch this space. It's not the end of this. Sometimes the price of perfection includes patience.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Update:

I just received an email to say I will be contacted Monday about replacing the retrims. The shop was in touch with the factory about my complaint. The loose fit has more to do with the installation than anything else, but the seat sponge shrinks after about 10 years, so this may be a contributory factor. Next photos will show skin tight retrims. If not, I will be seeking a full refund. I think I will lend a hand the next time the retrims are getting installed to make sure thy are as tight as possible.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:18 pm

Well they should be making them smaller then cause there is no such thing as an FTO that is not older than 10 years at this stage. Would be worth their while factoring that into account if they are going to be using that excuse.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:19 pm

They sent another email to say they have contacted the factory again to push them a bit. They say they should have seats ready for Wednesday and the new ones will be double stitched. I might to professional fitting service, because the retrims are damn hard to fit.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised by the gearknob.
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:15 am

So, they're sending me a new set. Should be in the post within the next few days. I offered to pay up to half the cost of a new set in my original email, so I wouldn't have to return the ones I have and be without covers, but they have not asked for a cent, which I think is very fair. They seem to be trying to correct the mistake and the original set can be fixed up i'm sure. Will let you know when the new retrims arrive.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 pm

That's good news.
So what are you doing with the bandy set.
I'll take them off you if you don't want them taking up space :wink:
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:59 pm

StewyD32 wrote:That's good news.
So what are you doing with the bandy set.
I'll take them off you if you don't want them taking up space :wink:

The Cheek :k

I will be kindly donating them to my brother to get them fixed up. I have been looking into retrims a good bit and it does seem necessary to put extra padding in for anything older tha 7, or 8 years due to shrinkage. There's a few videos showing this on youtube. The retrim manufacturers wouldn't be able to predict the level of shrinkage, but you would think they would feckin let you know about it!!! I am guessing a good inch all round will do the trick, but will be aiming for professional install if possible at reasonable price.

I am sure it will all be worth it after it's all done.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

PreviousNext

Return to General FTO Discussion