Isle of man

This forum is a means of informing the community on up and coming meets and events

Moderators: Moderators, Event Organisers

Isle of man

Postby mike » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:48 pm

I was chating to a few guys at the rolling road meet on saturday and I mentioned about a short trip to "The Isle of Man" as there is no speed limit outside the built up areas ( this is still to be confirmed 100% ) I would love a couple of days of trying out my GR at more than 70 mph. Anyway, after a few hours on the internet and a couple of phone calls here are the results.

Ferry service begins Thursday March 25th.

Dublin-Isle of Man..Thursday March 25th..Dept Dublin 18.15 Arr 21.00

Isle of Man-Dublin..Sunday March 28th..Dept Isle of Man 08.00 Arr 10.45
Price for this return ferry trip = Euro 213.64
Accomodation (5 sharing) 25th - 28th quoted £200.00 sterling (Euro310.00) split 5 ways = Euro 62.00 each

Total 213.64 + 62.00 = 275.64 plus lots of petrol money.

Prices are as accurate as I could but may not be exact. Accomodation price is if for 5 people sharing. Could be held at a different time of year I'm easy. If anybody would like to go, or has any ideas on how the trip could or should be organised or improved please get in touch.I'll try and get more definate info if there's any interest. :D
mike
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Isle of man

Postby Dean » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:31 am

mike wrote:I was chating to a few guys at the rolling road meet on saturday and I mentioned about a short trip to "The Isle of Man" as there is no speed limit outside the built up areas ( this is still to be confirmed 100% ) I would love a couple of days of trying out my GR at more than 70 mph. Anyway, after a few hours on the internet and a couple of phone calls here are the results.

Ferry service begins Thursday March 25th.

Dublin-Isle of Man..Thursday March 25th..Dept Dublin 18.15 Arr 21.00

Isle of Man-Dublin..Sunday March 28th..Dept Isle of Man 08.00 Arr 10.45
Price for this return ferry trip = Euro 213.64
Accomodation (5 sharing) 25th - 28th quoted £200.00 sterling (Euro310.00) split 5 ways = Euro 62.00 each

Total 213.64 + 62.00 = 275.64 plus lots of petrol money.

Prices are as accurate as I could but may not be exact. Accomodation price is if for 5 people sharing. Could be held at a different time of year I'm easy. If anybody would like to go, or has any ideas on how the trip could or should be organised or improved please get in touch.I'll try and get more definate info if there's any interest. :D

Not too sure about the speed limit thing, but the isle of man is absolutely tiny. The roads that I saw when I was there were not very good. Think irish west coast roads. While the speed may be unlimited, you will still be restricted by road quality.
Dean
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:18 am

Think irish west coast roads.

FTOs love this type of terrain, this is wheere your low profile tyres, lowered suspension and strut braces come into their own!
It sounds like a good idea Mike, I would be up for it once we had at least 5 people willing to head over. The main issue would be picking a time suitable for everyone. If we get the numbers up, then we can start throwing out dates to see how it suits people.

Guys, whos up for it?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

hi CJ

Postby mike » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:35 am

CJ if you want to take care of polling people on dates (as you have probably done it na few times) then thats fine by me. I'm quiet use to organising trips ( I take my orchestras all over the place, up to 50 people ay a time) or your welcome to take it all over. Daz showed a very strong interest in it last Saturday, that would be 3 members id he came along. How about it Daz, you up for it ?Ferries the only deciding factor as it doesn't travel every day. I'll post as much of the timetable to Isle of Man ferry today as possible.......Mike :D
mike
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Speedyboy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:45 am

When you say west of ireland roads i presume your not talking about pot holes???

Smooth and windy would be excellent for an FTO but ive a big problem with pot holes and buckled alloys

R
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy

Re: hi CJ

Postby CJ » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:48 am

mike wrote:or your welcome to take it all over

No, Mike, this is your baby ;) Anyway, its good to get others to organise meets and away trips from time to time.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hi CJ

Postby Daz » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:52 am

Yep i'll still be up for it work/time permitting and to answer the other questions yes there is no speed limits in certain areas of the island, thou the island is tiny so there isn't going to be much roads that way inclined, now if i get a chance over the comming week i'll contact an ex fto owner who lives on the ireland (traded it in for a imprezza) and try get some info from him.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby Daz » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:14 am

Hi Peeps,

i have some bad news on the isle of man front, i was talking to one of the lads here in work and he goes over to the isle of man every year for the TT he was telling me that they have put speed restrictions onto all the roads except those on the mountain. outside ramsey. sorry guys, no legal speeding over there no more :cry: :cry:

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Return to Irish FTO meets