Squeaky pads

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Squeaky pads

Postby philip » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:50 pm

All,
I have black diamond drilled and grooved disk on the front for over a year but had to change the pads twice because the squeaky sound is driving me mad. First set of pads were EBC standard pad lasted 3 months before started to squeak second set I have now are Pagid pads but they have now started to squeak, :evil: both pads were not worn down to the metal plate that warns you when worn. Is there any pads that will not squeak after there fitted for a few months, what about Mintex or EBC greenstuff?? If the performance was not such a huge improvement compared to the standard disk I would go back to standards...
Help please going mad........
philip
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby CJ » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:59 pm

Phillip, if it annoys you that much, I'd go back to standard disks, the only time that drilled/grooved disks are of any benefit is when you're driving it like you stole it around the twisties. You're more likely to have get rotor noise and the like from grooved disks anyway.

Pagids have the worst rep for screething (sp.), I run them myself on BDs but I've kinda got used to the noise. If you can live with it, they're excellent pads. Not sure about EBD standards, I ran Greenstuff on BDs on the GS and they were pretty quiet No experience of Mintex but if you can afford them, give them a go!

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:33 pm

I have BD discs and EBC greenstuff on the black FTO it seams to be the quietest combo, but don't forget you will get noise from groved disc's anyway. also check that the disc's are on the right way. also put some copper slip on the back of the pad and on the metal retaining clips this can also cause squeeky noises.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby alanmccormack » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:38 pm

Again, I recommend copper grease or Copper Slip, €10 for a tub at my local Motor Factors. I always use this and I had Uprated front discs and have used both EBC Greenstuff and Pagid pads, with never so much as a squeak! Don't get the stuff on the surface of the pad though!
alanmccormack
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Viper » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:16 pm

How can putting copperslip behind the pad stop the sqeeking, if it is the surface of the pad rubbing on the disk which causes it in the first place? :?
Viper
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby soc » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:44 pm

Viper wrote:How can putting copperslip behind the pad stop the sqeeking, if it is the surface of the pad rubbing on the disk which causes it in the first place? :?

I'm just about to head outside to change my front pads from standard mitsi pads to padgids (from Camskill). Got some copperslip too. Never changed pads before but it looks simple enough (famous last words) - Leaving the standard disks for the moment cause they're hardly worn....... hope I don't get any squeaking!!!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby alanmccormack » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:12 pm

Its not the front of the pads that makes the squeak, it is the pots of the calipers moving against the back.

The acid test is to put Copper Grease on the back of your pads and see if the squeak remains. This is not hard to do.
alanmccormack
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Viper » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:18 pm

Nope, brakes squeak when the pad rubbing against the disk start an ossocilating vibration, usually caused when either or both the disk and pad glaze over. The only effect that copperslip will have on it is it may reduce the vibration.

Incidently, make sure you have the correct tools if you plan doing any work yourself. I recently tried this and had huge difficulties removing the seized bolds, ended up destroying the bold heads when the wrench slipped and had to get the work finished in a garage.
Viper
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby alanmccormack » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:31 pm

The only time that I've ever experienced brake squeak Copper Grease has resolved it. Thats not to say that the scenario that you describe isn't correct, it just isn't what I have come across before.

Give the Copper Grease a go, at a tenner it's a lot cheaper than replacing your discs and pads!
alanmccormack
1st gear
1st gear

Postby CJ » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:06 pm

alanmccormack wrote:Its not the front of the pads that makes the squeak, it is the pots of the calipers moving against the back.

In this case Alan, its the pad material that causes the noise, again Pagids are well known for it. While you should always copperslip up the rear of the pads, it won't cure this particular gripe unfortunately.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alanmccormack » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:19 pm

I bow to all of your collective experiences, I'm sure you're dead right.

I had Pagids, but I never had this problem. In fact the guy at Camskill recommended them.

In my own personal experience I didn't think that they were any better or any worse than the EBC Greenstuff.
alanmccormack
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Daz » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:42 am

Well to settle this one and for all :D :D yes both views are correct yes the front of the pads agains't the disc can squeak but it is also true of the rear of the pads rubbing against the caliper/barrel's also causes squeaking.

But in my experience of my cars and my mates cars, all of which i have worked on in some degree over the past 10 years or more 4 out of 5 times it is usually the rear of the pad that causes the squeak, more often that not the problem with glased pads will usually cause brake fade with very little noise, but also very easy to cure.

Daz...
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby soc » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:02 pm

Fitted my padgids last tuesday - very easy job. Caliper bolts were a bit tight but a good squirt of WD40 solved that problem. Made sure to copperslip the back of the pads and the anti-sqeaul shims and so far no problems. Pads seem to bedding in well and already have far superior bite to the old standard pads. In fact I find myself stopping much further back than I intend to cause I'm still using same pedal pressure as with old pads :-)

Only problem was I stupidly forgot to tighten the wheel nuts on the passenger wheel after I had "unjacked" the car..... DOH!!!!! :oops: Only hand tighened the nuts and the next day there was funny nosies from front left and when I checked I realised what I had done - some of the wheel nuts were coming off..... how stupid am I :oops: :oops:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Daz » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:57 pm

shane wrote:
Only problem was I stupidly forgot to tighten the wheel nuts on the passenger wheel after I had "unjacked" the car..... DOH!!!!! :oops: Only hand tighened the nuts and the next day there was funny nosies from front left and when I checked I realised what I had done - some of the wheel nuts were coming off..... how stupid am I :oops: :oops:

Stupid i don't know it can happen to anyone but lucky yes, lucky that they didn't come of while you were driving. But look at it this way you won't forget them ever again :D

Daz...
Daz

Postby Speedyboy » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:31 pm

Only problem was I stupidly forgot to tighten the wheel nuts on the passenger wheel after I had "unjacked" the car..... DOH!!!!! Only hand tighened the nuts and the next day there was funny nosies from front left and when I checked I realised what I had done - some of the wheel nuts were coming off..... how stupid am I

Dont feel too bad a "mechanic" left my front left with only one nut holding it on, could have easily ended in tears
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby soc » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:12 am

Speedyboy wrote:
Dont feel too bad a "mechanic" left my front left with only one nut holding it on, could have easily ended in tears

Funny that cause the only reason I knew straight away what the noise meant was because a mechanic also once forgot to tighten up the wheel nuts after servicing my old GS. Scary thought...... must be why Advance now advise customers to recheck wheel nuts after a few miles......
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby philip » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:28 am

Again, I recommend copper grease or Copper Slip, €10 for a tub at my local Motor Factors. I always use this and I had Uprated front discs and have used both EBC Greenstuff and Pagid pads, with never so much as a squeak! Don't get the stuff on the surface of the pad though![/quote]

Thanks folks for all the advise, going to try out the copper grease and slip within the next week or two. I keep ya posted. Thanks again.
philip
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby philip » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:44 pm

Lads,
The magic copper grease done the job, put the grease on the calipers, retaining clips, back of pads and filed a slight chamfer on the edge of the pads and no more squeak. Don't ask how the grease stopped the squeak trying to get on head around that, but happy days again :D thanks for the advise best 8 yo yo I have spent on the FTO yet.
philip
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Daz » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:48 pm

philip wrote:Lads,
The magic copper grease done the job, put the grease on the calipers, retaining clips, back of pads and filed a slight chamfer on the edge of the pads and no more squeak. Don't ask how the grease stopped the squeak trying to get on head around that, but happy days again :D thanks for the advise best 8 yo yo I have spent on the FTO yet.

Nice to see you got it sorted :D and like i said 4out of 5 times it will be the back of the pads making the squeaking.

Daz...
Daz

Return to FTO Technical