Just a few performance questions

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Just a few performance questions

Postby V6 Imp » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:06 am

Hello all, just a few questions over the Mivec engine. I'm looking at putting it in a project of mine and wondering what can be done to the engine, N/A at first then supercharging for engine no. 2.
The sound is everything, well a bit of power too :D

Basically, my questions are;

How strong is the engine, will it hold 8k rpm for more than a few seconds reliably? If so, what about increasing the rev limit, can it be done on stock pistons/rods? 9K would be nice.
Any tips on porting and throttle bodies. I'm going to port it myself, nothing major but looking at maybe building my own TB setup using modified downdraft carbs. I've a set of 3 Weber 40 DCNF's.
Exhaust manifold designs, primary lengths ect.
Any other tips?

Many thanks, Mik
V6 Imp
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Just a few performance questions

Postby mivecrx » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:14 am

V6 mivec engines are fine to rev to just over 8000rpm, why would you want to hold it there tho?. No point in raising the rev limit as the car wont make any power beyond 8k.
mivecrx
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby brccrx » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:52 am

You can make it revving 9k but as said above U wont gain anything except lighter wallet :)

U would have to go with high lift cams then yes that would make more sense and power.

Much do U plan on spending on the build?
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Kace » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:42 pm

It won't rev to 9k but happily goes to 8.5 and sounds fantastic.

Great choice of engine - you will NOT be disappointed.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby V6 Imp » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:46 pm

I've owned my Hillman Imp Californian coupe (875cc) for approx.15years, off the road for 10 :( and still the best fun car I've ever owned. Engine was always worked hard and it 4 wheel drifted on every bend, it would go exactly where you wanted it..... but I killed the engine, so new engine plan.
It had to be a V6, mid mounted transversely and it had to howl. If you know about Andy Burton and his Peugeot Cosworth rally car then you know what I mean. If you don't, Youtube him. I've looked at (and bought) a few engines but none blew me away with specs/power to cc ability. Until the Mivec reared its head.
Turbo's are out, they kill exhaust note but a supercharger whining away at 14,000 RPM now that a different matter. This will come later though. The car is to be mostly spaceframed but keeping as much original steel as possible. I'm looking at around 750 KG all in.

I've asked about the rev limit as when pushed, I'll be bouncing between 4K and rev limit so need to know if it'll do it reliably. I'm happy spending about a grand on the N/A engine over time so whats the best bits to do/add to make it stronger. I've no qualms about blowing the odd engine to find out the best setup.
The gearbox is another query, ratios, LSD's strengthening plates ect.
Its still early days, the spaceframe has been started and I'm itching to get on with it.

Mik
V6 Imp
1st gear
1st gear

Postby mivecrx » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:28 pm

V6 Imp wrote:I've asked about the rev limit as when pushed, I'll be bouncing between 4K and rev limit so need to know if it'll do it reliably. I'm happy spending about a grand on the N/A engine over time so whats the best bits to do/add to make it stronger. I've no qualms about blowing the odd engine to find out the best setup.
The gearbox is another query, ratios, LSD's strengthening plates ect.
Its still early days, the spaceframe has been started and I'm itching to get on with it.

Mik

They have no problem being revved all day from 4k to the limiter. There's no need to worry about strengthening the engine if staying N/A because you will never get it to make much more than the stock 200bhp. 1000e at one of these v6 engine will get you at max 10bhp if even.

I think the stock final drive is 4.3 or there abouts. You could fit an lsd gearbox from a 1.6 mivec which is 4.625FD and Cusco upgraded lsd can be bought too. If your using that box you have to use flywheel and clutch to suit.

I'm surprised your not going for the like of a Honda b series engine where upgrading is far cheaper and way more effective.
mivecrx

Postby goz_83 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Where are you based and do you have an engine yet?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby V6 Imp » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:43 pm

I've got a full car waiting to be picked up. I'll be using the engine/box for mock up initially. It'll get developed over time but like to plan ahead.
It has to be a V6, been through a few options but none revved like I wanted.
I think plenty of headwork is in order with throttle bodies but may just jump in with the supercharger straight off. An Eaton M62 will pump enough air for 8K and build a higher revving engine later.

I'm based just north of Manchester

Mik
V6 Imp
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical