Problems following white dial installation

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Problems following white dial installation

Postby glyn1980 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:28 am

Hi All,

I recently fitted some white dials to my FTO because I was fed up with the black ones. I didn't go for the plasma glow dials, just the white KMC dials. I removed all of the old dials and had to remove all of the needles. The Speedo needle didn't come all the way out the needle cup bit came off, the rest of the instruments the needles came out. I fitted the dials and put the needles back in and then none worked. The temp guage reading is too low as its approx 1/4 of the way and prev was approx half, the speedo jumps and seems to get stuck. I have pulled the needle out slightly and then it doesn't work, if you push it in a fraction more it seems to stick around 20mph. Feeling the dials they seem to have a more textured finish than the original black ones. Has anyone had any simular issues when fitting new dials faces?

At the moment my speedo is stuck at approx 15 mph, my volt meter seems to stay between 8 and 12v when I am sure it was between 12 and 14v before. The clock, petrol guage and rev counter seem ok, but not the others. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

These are the ones I have on now, when they were first fitted(speedo didn't work at all) Image

Thanks

Glyn
glyn1980

Re: Problems following white dial installation

Postby Gerry » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi mate,

You are not meant to remove the needles, this as you are finding out will cause serious calibration issues in relation to your clocks, that is if you can even get them working at all after removing needles.
The dial hole slides on under the instrument indicator, when dial is in place over ur gauge, you then maniplate the dial over the head of the instrument indicator.
Gerry
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Most likely air bubbles under the dial sticking it out and causing problems..
colm_mcm

Postby glyn1980 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks guys, I just followed a guide from the FTOOC. It said to remove the needles.
glyn1980

Postby paul2508 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:35 pm

only needle you remove is actually the minute hand on the clock as some people have problems with this one due to the length of it, should just pull off. as gerry said, you just slide the dials over the needles and fix the dials onto the oem faces with spots of glue or other adhesives
...Me fail english?..Thats unpossible.....
paul2508
FTO-Ireland rules my world
FTO-Ireland rules my world

Postby glyn1980 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi all, I have already fitted everything. All OEM faces are off. The only most of the needles came out(eg pins connected to the needles) apart from the speedo where only the speedo indicator needle came off lecaving the pin hehind. Everything works apart fron the speedo, it seems to get stuck at certain speeds. I think glue might be the answer. Cherlers for the comments, but they have all been about what I should have done and not how to sort out the current situation.
glyn1980

Return to FTO Technical