is this normal?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

is this normal?

Postby akay47 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi guys I'm new to the fto scene and want to find out is it normal when changing gear in auto the revs are seem high?. Mine revs @ 2500rpm before changing gear. It's like people might be thinking that ur racing down the street in 1st revving the he'll out before changing gear. As I said I'm new and still learning.
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Re: is this normal?

Postby gazmcg89 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:41 pm

It changes gear depending on your throttle input if that makes sense if you gas hard it changes later . 2.5 k revs is probably about optimum without killing revs in the next gear will check in mine tomorrow for you
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Postby akay47 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:13 pm

Ok mate cheers. Mybe it's just mine and the previous owner might of tweaked it and mucked it up I don't know. Say I'm at a round about and want to pull off quick it's like I have to wait till it reaches 2500rpm just to change into 2nd and of course of the muffler at the back we'll it's just screaming to change gear. Might have to reset ecu so mybe 1st and 2nd is quicker and a bit quieter.
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:09 am

Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to do a reset. Then drive normally in tip mode (manually selecting gears) for a while and the car will learn your driving style when going back to full auto.

Although gear changing at 2500 rpm does not sound unusual to me. It should idle at 800rpm. The fto loves to redline, so I wouldn't worry much.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gazmcg89 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Mine was shifting earlier about 2.5 k revs driving easy
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Postby akay47 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:07 am

Ok thanks guys :) I can tick that off the have to fix list. I know what you guys mean now when u put the throttle down all the way the mivec kicks in . That's some serious S#%t.
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:27 pm

That could be normal boost for overtaking when you put the foot to the floor. The Mivec kicks in at around 5400 rpm and the whole enhine note changes noticeably. What model of fto do you have?

GS
GR
GX
GP
GPX
GPvR
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby akay47 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:21 pm

Tell me about it wow.I have the gpx or that's what it says on the back. Mybe the previous owner just stuck that there is there any way of checking the exact model?
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:44 pm

akay47 wrote:Tell me about it wow.I have the gpx or that's what it says on the back. Mybe the previous owner just stuck that there is there any way of checking the exact model?

Easy enough. If it's a GPX, the oil cap will be on the left side of the engine. Click the link below and have a look at my GPX engine bay. Yours should look the same, except for maybe the air filter. It is a few posts down.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13627&start=50
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby akay47 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:27 pm

Yes that's exactly what mine looks like. I'm in the process of cleaning the bay. I done the same to my mx5 engine bay and it makes a big difference in the looks. I'm getting a slight knock on the passenger side rear when I do over a bump and here in England the roads are awfull and I'm hearing it could be droplinks if so are they easy to change?
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:09 am

akay47 wrote:Yes that's exactly what mine looks like. I'm in the process of cleaning the bay. I done the same to my mx5 engine bay and it makes a big difference in the looks. I'm getting a slight knock on the passenger side rear when I do over a bump and here in England the roads are awfull and I'm hearing it could be droplinks if so are they easy to change?

Of the common issues, drop links are one. Bushing too. How old is your fto? Also check that the engine bushings are not perished. Seen a couple of FTOs recently that needed them changed.

Droplinks are an easy job, yes.

If you think UK roads are bad, you should visit here. Biggest problem for the fto on british roads is salt. Get that baby under sealed.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby akay47 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:26 pm

Mine is 1997
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:01 pm

So she will have ABS and airbags.

If you plan to keep her, I recommend changing the gearbox oil, as it was probably never done andcan prevent potentially very expensive problems. Another cheap DIY job. Timing belt and water pump might also be on the list. I think every 50k mikes (80k kilometres) is the interval, but it's often not done. Not a DIY job for most. The front sparks are easily done, but the rear sparks are not so easy to access. The fto is a great car to keep and will bring years of joy if you look after her.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby akay47 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Oh ain't the sparks easy then:( surly it's worth doing all right? And yeah this is my next project previous one was an mx5 and I spent alot of money and time on that car. I plan to do everything slowly cos can't find that much time at the mo. I'll keep you updated.
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:29 pm

akay47 wrote:Oh ain't the sparks easy then:( surly it's worth doing all right? And yeah this is my next project previous one was an mx5 and I spent alot of money and time on that car. I plan to do everything slowly cos can't find that much time at the mo. I'll keep you updated.

Lok at the thread I linked you tou to already and it'll give you a good idea of what needs doing. Mine is a 97 too. The rear sparks require the plenum (the big metal plate the air intake connects to) to be removed, which is a female dog of a job.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby akay47 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Sorry about the accident it's a bad sight to see. And yeah alot of info on there too. Cheers.
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:58 am

akay47 wrote:Sorry about the accident it's a bad sight to see. And yeah alot of info on there too. Cheers.

The car will be back in my possession soon. It's just getting some final touches.

Get in touch if you need more help.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby akay47 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:48 pm

What would I be looking for then to find the knocking? Sorry for the stupid question I'm still learning. So droplinks and bushes? Is there any threads on how to's? Cos it's really peeing me off. Any slight knock going over anything not flat you hear this knock it sounds like the cardboard floor in the boot rattling when going over a bump. But I made sure it wasn't that I wish it was though. Could it be the suspension? I never had to go down this root BUT I'm ready.
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby gazmcg89 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:30 am

Yes it could be a fudged shock making noise . Best off looking on YouTube for videos how to check bushes and that easier explained when being shown with the car in the air you will be able to see what's what quite quickly
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Postby goz_83 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Droplinks are a common change for the fto, so it wouldn't hurt to change them out for some good ones. It does sound like you have a shock, or two gone there too. An easy test is going around the four corners of the car and pressing down with the same force on each corner. You should just get a quick bounce back if the shock is good. No movement, or a couple of soft bounces is a dead/worn shock more than likely. If you're not sure, get it checked out. You can't just replace one shock either. You need both sides changed. Get them from camskill. When a shock went in mine, I replaced them all. If one is gone, the others aren't far off. Good opportunity to get lowered springs too if you don't already have them.

Ask yourself at this point, if the fto is a keeper, because it'll cost a few hundred to sort it out properly. It's worth it if you're hanging onto the car and everything else is working as it should.

Where are you based? Update Your profile for better help.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby akay47 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:27 pm

Cheers mate I will check that out. I haven't got round to updating my profile yet. I live in Berkshire u.k.
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Return to FTO Technical