STI

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

STI

Postby elaine » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:00 pm

Well all John here i have a sti 320 bhp , Well it was i done the crank shaft which in turn done the engine , Still have not got one i have a few guys looking for me ,1 lad said he would rebuild it but would cost around 4500 and another said he would get me 1 for 2500 ,i might be able to get 1 for 1500 hope fully .which not to bad , I have been told that the crank shaft goes in them as a guy near me also done his a few weeks back but he also has an evo 6 to fall back on . when i get it done i was thinking of getting a skyline 2.5 turbo , as i was told that there notting stopping the new engine doing the same , any help from you guys i would be glad of . CJ also told me about IVI i have rang them and they are to get back to me :cry:
elaine
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:11 pm

that's who i got my engine off, IVI, at least you know the work would be quality and you'd have a decent warranty!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby dave100 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:45 pm

My friend had one of these and his crankshaft needed replaced due to his oil pump seizing while racing us. I didnt realize this was a common fault with these engines tho. The problem with the sti engine is that the crank is a specific item which costs a fortune to replace. I think his rebuild cost £2500 iirc :shock:
Would it not be cheaper to just replace the engine with a wrx one, they would be very easy to find. You would prob need the loom too tho :?
You shoulda got an evo :D
dave100
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby AL » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:02 am

what series STIi is it ?,
AFAIK the series 2 and 3 are close loop systems, then they went open loop, its something to do with lubrication , i think.
ill ask me brother, he has a 400bhp 95D sti ( closed loop ), series 2 or 3 :?: this is now thought to be one of the best engines for tuning, f**KING animal of a car, he has never had problems with this, but lots of part were upgraded during increase in power, there is a generic sti problem with one of manifolds if you increase power too much, this is due to uneven manifold lengths, and can cause pistons to melt and cranks to seize, can anyone elaborate on this ?
:?:
AL
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby elaine » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:26 pm

Its a late 96 think its a 3 it has the red manifold, told because the increase in power that the oil does not get down fast enough and thats whats cause the problem , then again if i drove it slow may not have had problem but with the power how can you , by the way took an evo 5 (98 ) for a drive before i bought the sti just did not like it at all , the sti was alot nicer to drive , saying that i would have took it if i had heard about the crank shaft problem with the sti before hand a well no point crying about it , skyline on the way , if i can talk the lovely wife around , trying to score a few points with that :D
elaine

Postby AL » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:36 pm

need to recap on my last post, SERIES 2 is a closed deck system, SERIES 3 onward were open deck, so AFAIK this is why you are getting problems with lubrication,
also AFAIK evo 5 suffers with detonation problems when they use 95ron and need to be remapped, but im sure there are others here better suited to tell you about that car, but as a personal choice id go evo 5.
AL

Return to Japanese Performance