Overfilling with Oil

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Overfilling with Oil

Postby soc » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:28 am

I just checked my oil level and it looks like I might have overfilled the engine with oil - I'd say by about 1ltr - any potential adverse effects here?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:14 pm

I did it once before and the sump gasket leaked a bit so I wouldnt reccommend it. I seem to remember someone saying that its worse than leaving it short of oil.

R
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:15 pm

Not good to do this, drain it all out and put it back , less the litre.

You learn the hard way ;)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:31 pm

CJ wrote:Not good to do this, drain it all out and put it back , less the litre.

Ciaran

or just drain a litre of it out maybe??
kevinod

Postby CJ » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:16 pm

kevinod wrote:or just drain a litre of it out maybe??

You could do that too! In saying that, have you ever tried trying to replace the sump plug mid way through the drain process? Messy job, just make sure you put plenty of old newspaper around the place....

BTW, pulled off some site FYI

If the oil level is too high (overfilled) the engine will exhibit excessive friction loss (churning), resulting in high fuel consumption, loss of power and possibly also engine damage. Furthermore, the engine will burn too much oil, and so pollute the environment.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:21 pm

CJ wrote:
kevinod wrote:or just drain a litre of it out maybe??

You could do that too! In saying that, have you ever tried trying to replace the sump plug mid way through the drain process? Messy job, just make sure you put plenty of old newspaper around the place....

Heh, no can't say I have... ya, guess if you're not in a rush better off to drain it fully alright when you think of that bit!
kevinod

Postby soc » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:41 pm

CJ wrote:Not good to do this, drain it all out and put it back , less the litre.

Ciaran

Looks like I'm gonna be doing engine oil and gearbox oil this weekend :-( Now that IS a pain in the ass.

I suppose all I need to really do is drain out the oil and then refill with same oil - bugger anyway.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:32 pm

So I definitely overfilled the engine with oil - I didn't take into account the 0.5lt of additive I added and also added 0.5lt too much of oil. Looks like I'm busy on Saturday morning so.

Btw, anyone else ever seen tiny little bubbles in their oil? Maybe I should just change the oil completely?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:35 pm

shane wrote:So I definitely overfilled the engine with oil - I didn't take into account the 0.5lt of additive I added and also added 0.5lt too much of oil. Looks like I'm busy on Saturday morning so.

Btw, anyone else ever seen tiny little bubbles in their oil? Maybe I should just change the oil completely?

I just read on the web that overfilling with oil can cause these tiny air bubbles
http://www.noria.com/message_boards/mes ... umber=1%20

So I suppose that confirms that I'm an idiot and am spending Saturday morning under the car :-( I think I'll drain the oil, refill and then maybe do a full oil change when I get a new filter.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:32 pm

Shane, don't waste the oil, the bubbles will subside by the morning, just don't fire her up before you change it. What additive did you use by the way, Forte top end treatment per chance? I have a bottle of the stuff on order myself. Out of curiosity, did you use an engine flush beforehand?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:13 pm

CJ wrote:Shane, don't waste the oil, the bubbles will subside by the morning, just don't fire her up before you change it. What additive did you use by the way, Forte top end treatment per chance? I have a bottle of the stuff on order myself. Out of curiosity, did you use an engine flush beforehand?

Ciaran

Cheers Ciaran,

I'll drain out the oil without starting the engine in the morning and refill with the correct amount.

I used the forte top end treatment - no engine flush. It did make a difference to my tappets - only knocking for 15-30 seconds some mornings and then a very slight ticking for 2-3 mintutes. But to be honest I might try cleaning the tappets this sunday if I get some time - do you reckon I'd need a head gasket - maybe I should wait and get one just in case.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:28 pm

shane wrote:
CJ wrote:do you reckon I'd need a head gasket - maybe I should wait and get one just in case.

You may need a rocker cover gasket, I've got one on order from Funky with a few other bits and pieces, I need to replace the current one due to a leak.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:34 pm

Ever since I drained some of the excess oil out of the car she's been running pretty well. I swear I notice some extra performance - particularly in 1st and 3rd gear. Suffice to say I am really enjoying the car right now.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical