Upgrade/login problem

A forum for IT related questions

Moderator: Moderators

Upgrade/login problem

Postby mark » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:34 pm

Was using win98(no laughing) Got some USB2 ports for some new peripherals. Needed to load win2000nt in (had this lying around) Loaded it in fine but then asks me for my login password. I've typed in every bloody password i can think of and it won't let me in to the system at all with different cases etc. I've even tried doing a re-install but because I cant get in it wont load any new disks.
Anyone got any ideas on what to do?
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby JD » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:41 pm

I really haven't a clue, but have you tried just leaving the password blank, i.e. put no password in, and see if lets you in.

Does the password box show a set of astrixes ******** or is it blank - if it has astrixes in it PM me and I'll send you a couple of password recovery tools that might work if you can boot it up in safe mode to install them (probably a catch 22 situation) - but they only work if there are astrixes in the password box.

JD

ps does anyone know how to spell astixes :?
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:20 pm

JD wrote:ps does anyone know how to spell astixes :?

asterices :)

Mark, during the installation process of Win2000, you were asked to supply an administrator password, if you left the field blank then the 'administrator' use password is blank, as JD mentioned, leave the password field on logon blank and see how it goes. If you get nowhere just reinstall the OS on top of the existing installation.

CJ
Last edited by CJ on Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JD » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:02 pm

CJ wrote:asterices :)

Thanks CJ. :wink:

Mark I checked my archives here and if your totally stuck I have an application that resets Windows XP/2000/NT security settings if the administrator password, secure boot password or key disk is lost.

This application creates a Windows Key driver disk. You reboot the locked system using Windows XP/2000/NT setup disks or CD-ROM and load the Windows Key driver. When it's loaded, it will show you the list of Windows installations that could be processed. I've never used it for this but have used it to deal with other password problems i've had. So if you find you can't get anywhere with it and if you can't re-install it, give me a shout.

JD
JD

Postby mark » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:57 pm

Cheers guys. Forgot to mention that I tried leaving it blank also and yes it does fire up with a load of asterices! I'll pm JD!
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby pergau » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:58 am

If JDs solutions doesn't work out, I can mail you a bootable CD that will reset the admin password - works a treat.
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Return to Computers and IT