Insuring spouse as named driver = cheaper quote?

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Neil » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:17 am

Someone told me a week ago that insuring my girlfriend would knock some euros off my policy, as backward as that seems. They thinking behind it I suppose is that she'd be driving the car some of the time rather than me driving and hence is less of a risk...

Just looked on insure.ie and confirmed it, says on their website getting a responsible named driver on, aswell as yourself can knock 5% off the price of just yourself :roll:

Question is has anyone tried this with an FTO? Does it work, or are we still ruled out because of the grey-import status...?
Neil
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Re: Insuring spouse as named driver = cheaper quote?

Postby soc » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:49 am

Neil wrote:Someone told me a week ago that insuring my girlfriend would knock some euros off my policy, as backward as that seems. They thinking behind it I suppose is that she'd be driving the car some of the time rather than me driving and hence is less of a risk...

Just looked on insure.ie and confirmed it, says on their website getting a responsible named driver on, aswell as yourself can knock 5% off the price of just yourself :roll:

Question is has anyone tried this with an FTO? Does it work, or are we still ruled out because of the grey-import status...?

My wife added me to her policy with fully comp and she got 50 euro back from Axa - not a lot but I thought it only worked when a male added a female to their policy - she must have told them I drive a golf and they thought, ahh boring git so low risk :oops:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:59 am

My better halves insurance dropped by 250 when i was added to the policy, basically i think it's once someone experienced is on the policy with their own car and insurance it reduces the overall risk.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:36 am

Myself as a named driver (3 years + full licence) on the wifes car increased the premium by €100 so we didn't bother, the third party extention on my own policy will look after it.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:40 am

do you have driving of other vehicles on your car CJ? i would have thought that would have cost more than €100, especially with Quinn cos they wouldn't normally throw in fringe benefits!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:57 am

Heard the thing about having a female driver on a guys policy bringing it down alright... :roll: I know a couple, and when he put her on the policy it brought it down a bit, but when she went to put him on her policy it was going to push it up.

Without going into rant mode (hold me back!! :twisted: ) it must be the most blatant sexual discrimination ever.

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:10 am

I'm insured with Hibernian - My Girlfriend also is insured with them on the MX5 - she is 30 with a full NCB and yet when she added me to her policy her insurance quote dropped by around €200??? Yet if she was to get insured on any car her quote (on her own) would be less than my quote (on my own)??? Doesn't make much sense to me.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:16 am

Dave wrote:do you have driving of other vehicles on your car CJ? i would have thought that would have cost more than €100, especially with Quinn cos they wouldn't normally throw in fringe benefits!

By default, Quinn offer a third party extention so as you can drive any privately insured passenger car, I assumed that was standard with most companies (or would it be considered an extra in most cases?), in saying that QD give you very little flexibility in terms of options.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:18 am

hmmm, third party only i assume, didn't think that they'd offer that as default seeing that they wouldn't even do a temp sub for you before!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:02 am

CJ wrote:By default, Quinn offer a third party extention so as you can drive any privately insured passenger car, I assumed that was standard with most companies (or would it be considered an extra in most cases?)

CJ

Seems to vary company to company, I've fully comp insurance and its included (Royal Sun via AA), but my brother who is fully comp (can't remember with who) said it would cost him €500 to add it on. I've heard of others that charge a lot less to add the option on, so its usually around but whether you get it included or have to pay seems to vary. Age is a factor, they don't tend to offer it to drives <25 or <27, again depending on the insurance company.

It does seem to be third party only insurance though for that across the board.

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Helen » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:47 am

of course added a girl to an insurance policy brings the price down, we are so sensible you know!!!! :wink:
ah no seriously i was insured on tony policy for free with Quinn Direct when he first started and now he is with one direct and i am still on as a name driver for free. where as when i add him to my policy on the FTO it is going to bring it up €900. :(

It is pure mental what they can charge and actually get away with it.
Helen
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby PurpleRonnie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:52 pm

It works both ways

Insuring Nikki on the FTO brought my policy down from £2000 to £1600

and insuring me as a named driver on Nikki's Zafira brought her policy down from £700 to £500 (and I have 3 points)
PurpleRonnie
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Mustang » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:41 pm

Feck this! I'm ringing my broker on Monday to add my mother, sister and girl friend onto my policy. Should end up with practically free insurance!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Helen » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:42 am

worth a try mustang!!! let us know how you get on and we can all try it :)
Helen
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Mustang » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:20 pm

Helen wrote
worth a try mustang!!! let us know how you get on and we can all try it

Just off the phone from the broker. They'll add my mother & girl friend on for no extra charge (both with full NCB and full license). I only have about 2 months til the policy is up for renewal, so I guess a partial refund was a bit optimistic. :roll: Might help reduce the renewal premium though! Guess I can't argue with free of charge :)
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:27 pm

Neil wrote

Yes, If you are with Hibernian!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Motor Insurance