A few questions

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

A few questions

Postby Hadi » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 am

Hi, I am about to buy an FTO (in Australia) and just wanting to know a few things.

I am hoping to pick up this car

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/1 ... d6_20.jpeg

I don't know if it has airbags though. Here are a few snaps of the interior if that makes it any easier to know.
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/1 ... 77_20.jpeg
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/1 ... ll_20.jpeg
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/1 ... ln_20.jpeg

also just from that last shot of the cluster is there anything that should be alerting from the warning lights?
should mention that it is a 1995 GPX.

Second question:
The centre console has some cracks:
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/1 ... bl_20.jpeg

Is this easy to replace myself? How much will it set me back do you think, and are the parts common?

lastly: Is it fuel efficient?

Thankyou, any guidance would be much appreciated
Hadi
1st gear
1st gear

Re: A few questions

Postby Sebastian » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi and welcome . i'll be quick
- no airbags there
- centre console could set you back 40-80 eur depends where you purchase it's a 2 min diy replacemenet job - common breaking bit
- all warning lights on ... did you just put the key in the egnition when you took the pic? if you did it's normal .
- fuel consumption ( 10-12 L / 100 km ) being a 4 speed auto
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Hadi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:38 am

Thanks for the reply.
Would I be fine just pulling one off an fto that is about to be wrecked? What year range/type would match this? eg if I pulled one off a 1997 would it fit etc. And do you know of any guides/instructions?

As for no airbags, are you able to tell just from the steering wheel. The fact it doesn't have airbags puts me off a bit, as this will be my first car. I am honestly not planning to push it above the speed limit or in a dangerous fashion (I am a little to fearful for my life for that). Is there a quick way to know if an FTO has airbags or not.

Thanks
Hadi
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:02 am

Yes you can take the part from another FTO, but they are commonly broken. I keep one spare. Becareful when removing it. It pops out easy, but is easy to break. Any year and model will fit. It's clipped into place. If the gear shift has a gaitor, its usually held underneath with 4 screws.

Yes you can tell if it has an airbag usually when looking at the steering wheel. Dash lights are also the way to make sure. When the key is turned, a yellow "srs" light would come on with the other warning lights. If you see an FTO with a bigger, uglier steering wheel from 1994 to 97 then it likely has an airbag. If it has a big mono steering wheel, it probably has one too.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Hadi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:19 am

Ahh thankyou very much, I think it means that unfortunately I might have to end up taking a pass on this one.
Do you know if they came standard in a certain year range, absoloutly love FTOs but really wanna make sure I grab one with airbags. The ones with airbags seem hard to come by, or very expensive.
Hadi
1st gear
1st gear

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:40 am

Airbags are much more common from 1997 onwards.
colm_mcm

Postby Kace » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:12 am

Hadi wrote:Ahh thankyou very much, I think it means that unfortunately I might have to end up taking a pass on this one.
Do you know if they came standard in a certain year range, absoloutly love FTOs but really wanna make sure I grab one with airbags. The ones with airbags seem hard to come by, or very expensive.

No need for airbags Hadi - just don't crash it while travelling fast ;-)
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:24 pm

In cars this old, chances are the airbag wouldn't deploy in a crash. I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor on purchase.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:00 am

optical illusion wrote:In cars this old, chances are the airbag wouldn't deploy in a crash. I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor on purchase.

I'd definitely go for airbags over none. I didn't know they had an expiry date :shock:

Hadi, you're basically looking for facelift FTOs. If you can find one, go for a manual mivec :mrgreen:
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Hadi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:10 am

Thankyou all, very helpful!
Hadi
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical