What to do, sell or not?

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

What to do, sell or not?

Postby stevec » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi folks,

Well it's been a long and loving ride with my FTO (which I bought here I might add) but I'm at the stage that I can't give her the love she deserves any more.

I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I really don't want to give her up as a trade-in only to be taken away and squashed, that would break my heart.

Truthfully, it's still the best car I've ever owned, the V6 growl, the mivec roar, the fact that the only thing that ever came close was my boss's prosche *puke* (spelling mistake intentional) but sadly I don't have the time or the cash anymore to keep her alive or fed with petrol.

What are my options?

Is there still anyone out there willing to take on a project car or are FTOS destined to be recycled as prius ashtrays??

Is it worth even trying to sell her on here?

Ta.
S.
stevec
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: What to do, sell or not?

Postby gazmcg89 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:45 am

At this stage one needing work is not worth a whole lot unfortunately due to high tax even with test they aren't making what they should . I'm sure there is a few on here willing to take on a project myself included . It really depends on what you are expecting to get back from it do you have space to store until a time you can work on it ? Any details on the car ? I'm sure someone will save it from the crusher
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Postby goz_83 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:12 am

As above, it won't hit the high notes financially. Breaking an fto seems to be a long term commitment if you've considered that, due to so few being on the road. More seem to be getting parked up than driven, including my own, my brothers and my brother in laws. All Manual GPX's. It truly is an enthusiasts car and for what I have spent repairing mine, I could have bought 2 manual GPX's :P

Put up some photos and details. It's been a long time since you last posted, so some info on the car and history may spark some interest.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby stevec » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:40 am

I'm not expecting high notes at all, just someone that might save her from the crusher.
From Youtube.com

From Youtube.com

I'll post full specs & a list of what needs doing later but for now '97 GPX facelift DE3A dyno'd @ 170 above. :)

Edited to fix the youtube links, Bernard
stevec
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby stevec » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:11 pm

I've had a few PM's about this, thanks lads!

Here's the original thread I bought it from:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2555&p=15593#p15593

The only things I've added are leatherette seats, bought here in a group-buy (drivers one is still in my wardrobe, never got round to fitting it, the rest have hardly been sat in & I still have the originals) and it has an oil temp (wire broken) & vac gauge in the center cluster.

I'll take some pics over the weekend, 9 years on and I've put up ~100k km's. I'll also post a list of work that needs to be done.
stevec
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby stevec » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:01 pm

If the rain ever stops, I'll take some pics :)
stevec
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby stevec » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:58 am

Well, here's a brutally honest description of the car:

Now seriously for sale, I have a load of pics and a video available, pm me.

Engine:
2.0 V6 Mivec.
Small oil leak.
HKS induction

Exhaust:
Mid section replaced with straight thru from Souhans in Trim. Installed 19/5/14 so still has a warranty.

Running:
Lowered all around on Decuarto Sports Suspension, still have original coils.

Brakes:
All pads replaced less than 6 months ago - mintex pads from micks garage. Discs are all true and plenty of meat left on them.
One of the ABS rings is damaged - missing a tooth so the ABS faults out after about 200m driving but is otherwise working fine. New ring is UK£15 here: http://www.ukpartsdirect.com/products/a ... ing-8.html

Inside:
Leatherette seats
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3374
Fitting instructions:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=736
Fitted to all except the drivers seat, still have this in original bag.
Still have original seat covers.
Original FTO mats.

Goodmans CD and MP3 sound system

Middle cluster has:
Rare OEM oil temperature gauge, was working but just needs a repair on the cable to the sender. Cable snapped on me when a string came out of the water / ps belt.
Rare OEM intake vacuum gauge, working fine.
Laserline alarm / central locking / immobiliser. Working fine if I could find the spare fob - have one somewhere!! Full install and programming manual

Outside:
Facelift front bumper:
Some scrapes.
Drivers door has a dent where some fukker hit it in a car park, some dents above the window where some other skobie tried to get into it one night (didn't succeed). Passenger side black trim above the window needs some paint as it's got sunlight damage.
Front LH foglight mount damaged, foglight removed but was working fine.
HID headlights, work fine, glass needs a polish.
Rear RH light cluster has small chip. Not leaking, was there from when I bought it.
GPVR spoiler.
Plastic parts (spoiler and mirrors) are showing some ageing, need some t-cut & wax.
Passenger side wing mirror will fold out but not fold in - probably a loose wire. Adjustment motors are working fine.

Have 4x extra original alloys (in better nick than what's on it).
stevec
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby ebrewer89 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:11 pm

don't do it :shock: i nearly traded my fto for an impreza this week.i quickly realized with all the people staring in wonderment of my car that i was making a big mistake that i would not be forgetting anytime soon.also the "last" drive was a very sad rather than exiting one.this is i think the third time i have came close to selling and i am very glad i have kept it all this time.i would put her aside and buy something cheap to run until you can give her the love she deserves.and i think you will be happier in the long run :D
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:03 am

yeah, in a similar boat. Have mint 99 manual GPvR but couldn't sell it for 1500 now I'd guess. So just not worth it. but, kids have arrived so I may actually be forced to offload it. don't really have space for 3 cars on the drive or somewhere to store it long term. I would hold onto if I could though. not worth losing it for 1500.
Coincidentally was reading a story about a young guy selling a DC2 Type R integra for over 5k!??!? He seemingly went on his own to a meet with 2 prospective buyers! And then went on a test drive without even seeing some cash. they took his car at knifepoint. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ne ... 01872.html
anyway, that puts me off the hassle of selling too. Unless I sold to a long standing member here.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to General FTO Discussion