Oil leak

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Oil leak

Postby Justin » Thu May 20, 2004 12:44 pm

Hi guys,

I have had an oil leak in my GPX for a while now and finally managed to track it down the other day. I can see the oil seeping out between the cam holder and the head. Looking at the diagrams in the manual it looks like there is a crack in the " semi-circular packing ".
I'm no expert but it seems to me that the timing belt, cam shafts etc would have to come out in order to reseal it properly, and possibly a new " semi-circular packing " would have to be installed. I would imagine this would be a very expensive job.
So I am trying to do a quick and cheap fix on the crack. I have tried some high temperature silicone, but the oil still brakes through after driving around for a while. Anyone got any suggestions on a sealant I could use that would be strong enough to hold back the oil ?.
Justin
1st gear
1st gear

Postby CJ » Thu May 20, 2004 1:38 pm

Justin, if its a cracked gasket, then it'll have to be replaced, I doubt any type of sealant will hold back an oil leak indefinetely.
Its not a leak from the rocker cover by any chance, is it? The rocket cover gasket often needs replacing on old V6's

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Thu May 20, 2004 9:40 pm

Pretty sure it is an easy job to remove and install a new one. No need to remove cambelt and shafts. There is a procedure in the manuals for replacing these seals
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby pergau » Tue May 25, 2004 1:04 pm

If you are messing around down there, wouldn't it be a good idea to get the timing belt replaced anyway?
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Return to FTO Technical