Audi TT

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Audi TT

Postby soc » Thu May 06, 2004 3:54 pm

I think I'm being seduced by the TT. I know there was a discussion on this car before but the more I think about them the more I like them. I know they're expensive but the interior is really sweet and you to get a turbo charged engine with 4wd and nice looks - and from what I read on tt-forum.co.uk chipping the 225bhp will bring it up to 280-290bhp and 300 lb/ft of torque. Sounds nice. Only problem is I really do love the FTO - the sound is amazing. I wish I didn't have to look towards Japan for a late model manual GPX - importing is such a hassle.......... what to do, what to do - :?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu May 06, 2004 4:11 pm

You still going on about TT's Shane? ;)
Just make sure you rule out the 180, a GPX Tip owning mate took one (manual) out for a spin recently and he couldn't get over how much more sluggish it was in comparison to the GPX Tip.

For the money you'd spend on a TT (26k+), you would get one hell of a nice Jap performance motor!

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu May 06, 2004 7:29 pm

CJ wrote:You still going on about TT's Shane? ;)
Just make sure you rule out the 180, a GPX Tip owning mate took one (manual) out for a spin recently and he couldn't get over how much more sluggish it was in comparison to the GPX Tip.

For the money you'd spend on a TT (26k+), you would get one hell of a nice Jap performance motor!

Ciaran

yea, I reckoned the 180bhp would be worse in terms of performance than the FTO - the tip GR may lose out in torque but once the engine is spinning (in real world driving) it'll take the TT easy. And the handling of the TT doesn't even come close to the FTO......

..... so why am I considering one - if I could get a 225bhp TT, chip it up to 290bhp (300 lb/ft torque), lowering it 20mm, fit some mk1 front bottom arms with 20mm wheel spacers and 18" alloys I reckon I'd have a pretty sorted car.

Only problem with the jap route is that I'd have to import myself and to be honest I don't think I'd get anything with the same build quality and sense of luxury as the TT. Also most of the big performance jappers have 2.5+ litre engines..... I don't wanna go over 2lt because of the tax (and insurance).

I would consider a late model (98/99) manual GPX to which I'd add leather, wheels, lowering, exhaust etc..... and I will look into this closer to the time (August)....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Fri May 07, 2004 8:52 am

When I lived in Germany I had a black 225 BHP TT Roadster for a year. I loved it looks wise (especially with roof down) and thought it was wicked fast (as I had the GS at home in Ireland for half of that time for weekends....I came home alot) so it was fast compared :oops: . Well, it was a quick car actually. I didn't find the handling on them too bad either...but most of my driving was in straight lines on the Autobhan 5 and the FTO did handle way better on the corners of smaller roads to be honest. But, having driven a GPX and now the S2000 there is no real comparason. Mind you, I know I get slagged about loving the looks of the TT by some "hairdresser" callers ...but I do love it...expecially the roadster! They are great looking cars especially with larger rims on.

But, I gotta say, if you're spending 26K on a car and more and more chipping it and modding the machine....shop around and you might just take a silver s2000 in from the UK for not much more (circa 30). But I am ridiculously biased anyway now I have one :wink: You'll have choice from AutoTrader.co.uk

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Return to Other Cars