Indicator may explode

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Indicator may explode

Postby metric3 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:39 am

:(My indicator lever will not engage unless I pull down or hold down on it(right indicator)

Problem is that i have done the WD40 etc to no avail and also had the column cover off . Can anyone tell me if I take the cover off the indicator/wiper/light unit will I have springs everywhere - will it just explode or will the cover come off with no problem. If it does i think i can fix the problem with the indicaor enough to get throught the NCT. I have done a lot of mechanical work to my FTO and service it myself but am unsure about this one.

Thanks

james

[color=red][/color]
metric3

Re: Indicator may explode

Postby CJ » Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:31 pm

metric3 wrote::(My indicator lever will not engage unless I pull down or hold down on it(right indicator)

James, you should be OK removing the plastic surround on the steering column, its possible that something has come loose on the indicator stalk where it joins the assembly. It may just be a matter of removing and reassembling but you'll only know by taking a closer look.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby metric3 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:18 pm

Thanks Ciaran but I have had the cover off the colulm -no prob. What I am unsure of if I take the cover off the mechanism underneat the column cover. ie the unit underneat which holds the levers for the indicators,wipers,lights etc.

Thanks
metric3

Postby CJ » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:03 pm

I've just remembered that theres a cam on the steering column that operates the self-cancelling function of the indicator, this may or may not be part of the problem. At a guess, I would say disassembling the indicator mechanism may be a bit messy, but at the end of the day, if you have all of the parts and you keep note of where they go, you should be OK. Chances are, you'll need a replacement indicator stalk, cross that bridge when you come to it!

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:09 am

CJ wrote:I've just remembered that theres a cam on the steering column that operates the self-cancelling function of the indicator, this may or may not be part of the problem. At a guess, I would say disassembling the indicator mechanism may be a bit messy, but at the end of the day, if you have all of the parts and you keep note of where they go, you should be OK. Chances are, you'll need a replacement indicator stalk, cross that bridge when you come to it!

Ciaran

Aye it sounds like that cam cj mentioned, cus it sounds like the problem i had after i had removed my dash to do the heater matrix and when i put my steering wheel back together my indicators wouldn't work correctly, after repositioning the cam no more problems

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Return to FTO Technical