Buying/Importing?

Use this forum to buy or sell your FTO or FTO parts (Private adverts only)

Moderator: Moderators

Buying/Importing?

Postby jeff » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:01 am

Lads,

Myself and a friend of mine are looking to buy FTO's. We're after the GPX manual version. I know their rare to come buy. Can any one recommend to me whats the best way of getting my hands on one and what sort of money are ya looking at for a '96 model? The triptronic versions are making about 6-7k for a '96.

Going to have a look around Dublin tomorrow, got a few names of places, Autoterminal looks like the first place to start.

Anyway any help would be great. Love the car and have to get one!!

BTW nice site.
Jeff
jeff
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Buying/Importing?

Postby Daz » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:18 am

As you have said mate manuals are hard to come by and because of this the people owning them will tend to over price them, depending on what sort of money you want to shell out your better option might be buying a good condition tiptronic then taking it over to giles and shelling out £1,500.00 for a manual conversion as manuals as i have said are over priced at the mo. for example

Mitsubishi FTO GS 1.8 '95. Manual, black, alarm, immob, CD, all elec, alloys, rear spoiler, 1st to drive will buy, Price: €7,300 Contact: 087-1386042.

And thats for a 1.8

Mitsubishi FTO GPX 2L V6 94. Manual, Mivec, silver/grey, alloys, alarm/immob, c/l, e/m, a/c, CD, ex cond, 75k mls, NCT 04/05, Price: €7,790 Contact: 087-9175700.

for a 94, i don't think so, my opinion it should be about 5k as it doesn't seam to have any extras on it

But that said the price of FTO's has risen over the past few months for what ever reason but i'm sure you will find a bargin somwhere

jeff wrote:Lads,

Myself and a friend of mine are looking to buy FTO's. We're after the GPX manual version. I know their rare to come buy. Can any one recommend to me whats the best way of getting my hands on one and what sort of money are ya looking at for a '96 model? The triptronic versions are making about 6-7k for a '96.

Going to have a look around Dublin tomorrow, got a few names of places, Autoterminal looks like the first place to start.

Anyway any help would be great. Love the car and have to get one!!

BTW nice site.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby CJ » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:51 am

Welcome to the forums Jeff!
As Daz has said, manuals are increasingly hard to come by, I know of 4 people actively seeking manual GPX's without a whole lot of luck. When you have this situation, sellers can gain by adding an extra grand or so onto the price. That said, keep a close eye on buyandsell.ie, cbg.ie and autotrader.ie, you'll eventually find what you are looking for but be prepared to wait for the right car.

Ciaran
Last edited by CJ on Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:12 am

Jeff, where abouts in kildare are you based?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby jeff » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:23 pm

Thanks for the info lads.

@Dave, just outside Clane in Prosperous.

I went around all the major importers in Dublin today. Not one of them had any any FTO's let alone manual GPX's. I tried Hi-Grade (which I was told where the main dealers in the Republic for Jap imports). They couldn't help either.

One of the dealers out in Airways in Swords told me to ring Red Cow Autos on the Naas Rd. They'll buy to spec from auction in Japan. I'm still a bit unsure about going that route yet. I know they've got a strict MOT/NCT test over there and the cars that go to auction are pretty sound, well the grade 4+ models.

Anyways, would anyone recommend the North or even Britain to try find one of these? And does anyone have any names numbers of dealers they'ed recommend?
Jeff
jeff
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Daz » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:42 pm

Well if your going to go down this route you may do it before july as i have heard that the vrt is getting increased by 33% I.E. where you would normanly pay €3000 it will now be €4000

jeff wrote:
Anyways, would anyone recommend the North or even Britain to try find one of these? And does anyone have any names numbers of dealers they'ed recommend?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby soc » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:45 pm

jeff wrote:Anyways, would anyone recommend the North or even Britain to try find one of these? And does anyone have any names numbers of dealers they'ed recommend?

Did you try autoterminal or Byrne autos.

www.autoterminal.ie = they usually have a reasonable selection of cars in or waiting to be delivered.

www.byrneautos.com = I was just talking to these guys and am going to go have a look at a couple of Evo's and Scoobys that they have there. They have a manual '97 GPX but it's in at EUR15K. They seem a bit over priced compared to others... who knows, maybe that's their ploy so that it looks like you are getting a bargin with they drop the price after haggling.

As for the UK - I'd say you'll only end up paying waaayy over the odds thanks to conversion to sterling, VRT, import and excise duties and VAT! Check out these threads for more info....

http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/phpBB2 ... c.php?t=91
http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/phpBB2 ... c.php?t=98
http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/phpBB2 ... .php?t=114

Ciaran is right when he says be prepared to wait - I've been looking for a manual GPX for about 3 months now. FTO's seem to have slipped off the radar in ireland for some reason - maybe high insurance coupled with our budding recession.....?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby jeff » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:46 pm

Yes, just found that out today, well either way it wont be before then before I'm ready to buy.
Jeff
jeff
1st gear
1st gear

Postby jeff » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:51 pm

Thanks shane.

Looks like I'll just have to keep my eyes out for a decent private seller.
Might have better look going for an Integra R or something. Ah well, I have a few months to look and wait for the right one to come round.
Jeff
jeff
1st gear
1st gear

Postby CJ » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:49 pm

jeff wrote:Thanks shane.

Might have better look going for an Integra R or something. Ah well, I have a few months to look and wait for the right one to come round.

Those Teg R's are just too common jeff and they don't look half as nice as the FTO ;)
You would be as well to buy privately if the trade route isn't bringing up mutch, if you're unsure about anything, I (and I'm sure others) would be happy to check the car over with you.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jeff » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:03 am

CJ wrote:
Those Teg R's are just too common jeff and they don't look half as nice as the FTO ;)

Ciaran

Sure i'll check back now and again to see if their is anything on offer.

If Ciara would be kind enough to knock about 2 grand off that Red '95 GPX in the For Sale section then I might think about buying it and I guess so would about a dozen others. :wink:

Thanks again for the help.
Jeff
jeff
1st gear
1st gear

Postby soc » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:56 am

Daz wrote:Well if your going to go down this route you may do it before july as i have heard that the vrt is getting increased by 33% I.E. where you would normanly pay €3000 it will now be €4000

jaysus, that's crazy... the bloody government pisses all our money away on crappy projects like berties bowl and we get to pay more tax via VRT! this country is a joke
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:57 am

jeff wrote:Thanks shane.

if you do buy private and its a Tip make sure you get the gearbox checked out by an expert
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to For Sale