Any experts on wiring to the fuse box?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Any experts on wiring to the fuse box?

Postby kadargo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi FTO Brothers & Sisters,
This is my first post. I have used this site for a while now and it's been an invaluable resource. Thanks to everyone who has posted solutions, especially CJ.
Anyway,.. to my problem.
I have a '95 FTO GPX MIVEC, 4 speed A/T tiptronic, Passion Red. (She's my baby).
After doing a lot of work on her, mostly from guides in the knowledge base, i found out last week that my TAIL LAMPS, FOGS and SPOT LIGHTS aren't working. I used a multimeter to check for continuity on the circuit, (using the ELECTRICAL MANUAL). I discovered there is a break in the wire (Green-Orange) somewhere between the 10 AMP dedicated fuse (FUSEBOX) and loom-connection B-17 (behind the dashboard)...(reference ELECTRICAL MANUAL pg 4.60)
The brake lights, headlamps (dips and low beam), hazards, indicators, etc all work as normal & I've checked the 10A fuse (obviously).

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Should i pass a new wire from the 10amp fuse alongside the loom to connection B-17? Is it hard to get to the wiring in the fusebox? Anyone experienced this before?

Any help is appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Cheers
kadargo

Re: Any experts on wiring to the fuse box?

Postby kadargo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:03 pm

OK day 2, I've taken out the dash and the back of the fuse box. I'll be cutting the Green - orange wire which feeds the tail lights, licence plate etc, and passing a new live feed from the 10 AMP fuse to connection B-17 behind the dash.
Anyone got the best place to pass a feed through the firewall?
kadargo

Postby goz_83 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:27 pm

I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago. My dash lights, parking lights and tail lights would not work. Brake lights, headlights, flashers etc were all fine. It turned out to be a loose connection on the indicator stalk. So, make extra sure that all your wiring is connected as it should be. Then, maybe make a temporary connection to be sure your new wire will fix the issue before going through the hassle of feeding wiring through the dash and firewall.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kadargo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks for your reply goz_83.
Yeah, i tried the stalk/switch first and did a continuity check but that was OK. i even used the stalk from my other FTO to make sure. It's definitely a break in the wire between the fuse box and B-17 behind the dash as i cant complete the circuit with a multimeter. (All the rest of the circuit has continuity). I don't know how it could have broken inside the loom. Maybe it burned out?. I did have the bumper off while under-sealing, maybe i strained a wire. I dunno. Anyway, i have the dash out and i'm doing some more wiring (rewiring fog switch-relay, putting in some foot-well LEDs, etc).
Thanks for your help. I'll take some pictures of the work if anyone interested.

Cheers Brothers.
kadargo

Postby goz_83 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:35 am

Never a bad idea to photograph and post the work.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical