Upgraded mivec cams?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Upgraded mivec cams?

Postby breno58 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows of any places that do upgraded cams for a gpx mivec?
I know rpw do them but there prices are insane :shock:
breno58
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Re: Upgraded mivec cams?

Postby Uncle B » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:52 pm

I think Dan got some but they were from RPW, so I doubt there's any better/cheaper alternative
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby breno58 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:03 am

I may have a chat with him next time i see him so and find out what the story is
breno58
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Spetz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Can you post your findings here Breno.
Also, like I mentioned get them custom made :)
Spetz
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby breno58 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:07 am

Spetz wrote:Can you post your findings here Breno.
Also, like I mentioned get them custom made :)

As soon as i find any info on them ill be sure to let you know
breno58
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Spetz » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:42 pm

Can I ask why you are so hesitant to get custom made ones?
Spetz
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby CJ » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:58 am

From my perspective, theres little value in fitting reprofiled cams outside of a turbo application. If you know someone who can undertake this work at the right price point then great, if not, spend your hard earned cash on more effective mods.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:49 pm

CJ wrote:From my perspective, theres little value in fitting reprofiled cams outside of a turbo application. If you know someone who can undertake this work at the right price point then great, if not, spend your hard earned cash on more effective mods.

+1 - We've been down this road before with these type of discussions - spending massive bucks on cams, aftermarket ECU (you're going to have to map it surely?) for what? - 10-15bhp max? Makes even less sense these days when FTO values are so low. It even made no sense when FTO values were circa 8-10K.

If you want a quicker FTO then spend the money on improving your suspension/ upgrading your brakes / loosing weight from FTO. 1k spent on suspension/brakes/air con removal etc would make an FTO massively quicker around somewhere like Mondello than 2k spent on cams,ECU,mapping etc

If its more about sound then a decat exhaust and induction kit is all the FTO needs.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby breno58 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:25 pm

Spetz wrote:Thanks :)

Can I ask why you are so hesitant to get custom made ones?

I want to just buy cams and them put in rather than take the stock ones out and send them off and be left waiting god knows how long to get them back
breno58
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby breno58 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
CJ wrote:From my perspective, theres little value in fitting reprofiled cams outside of a turbo application. If you know someone who can undertake this work at the right price point then great, if not, spend your hard earned cash on more effective mods.

+1 - We've been down this road before with these type of discussions - spending massive bucks on cams, aftermarket ECU (you're going to have to map it surely?) for what? - 10-15bhp max? Makes even less sense these days when FTO values are so low. It even made no sense when FTO values were circa 8-10K.

If you want a quicker FTO then spend the money on improving your suspension/ upgrading your brakes / loosing weight from FTO. 1k spent on suspension/brakes/air con removal etc would make an FTO massively quicker around somewhere like Mondello than 2k spent on cams,ECU,mapping etc

If its more about sound then a decat exhaust and induction kit is all the FTO needs.

Well ill have the fto engine in my mirage so it will be quite a bit lighter than an fto to start and ill be removing the air con so no real need to lose too much weight, as for breaks/suspension ill be fitting grooved discs & good pads along with the twinpots and i already have coilovers so will get some strut bars and uprated arbs & bushes to finish off the suspension but still id like a more powerfull engine as this car will be mainly for drag/track use.
breno58
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby d_dan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:10 pm

I haven't got my hands on new camshafts just yet but are something I would like to do.
Kent Cam's give the best value at reprofiling camshafts in the UK by far.

I got vernier camgears at the start because I wanted to retard the timing ti reduce the valve overlap.

If you are getting ANYTHING from RPW remember first off your going to be hit with 23%vat on whatever your getting. (RPW will want your original camgears/ shafts to do the work on) Also you want to make 110% what your getting because its gonna cost your a small fortune to return anything and your going to loose out on the vat you payed
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby breno58 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Its starting to sound like rpw cams are not the best idea so if i could get decent ones made closer to home id probably go that route
breno58
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby d_dan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:08 pm

What are looking to do?
Your going to have to buy blank shafts if you want higher lift and its gonna be very expensive
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby breno58 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:02 am

I want to squeeze as much power from engine as i can,
Do you know how much kent cams would charge?
breno58
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby d_dan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:05 am

40-50 a lobe
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Spetz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Why not buy some stock cams (or heads) and use them as the base for copies if you want to avoid down time. I have seen heads go for as little as 90GBP, and you can use them to port/polish etc.

How much would a place in the UK charge to make up new billet cams?
Spetz
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby breno58 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Spetz wrote:Why not buy some stock cams (or heads) and use them as the base for copies if you want to avoid down time. I have seen heads go for as little as 90GBP, and you can use them to port/polish etc.

How much would a place in the UK charge to make up new billet cams?

Not a bad idea but i heard to make new billet cams would cost near enough the same as rpw charge but i shall double check that.

Im toying with the idea of ITBs so would kinda be best to upgrade the cams to get the most from them.
breno58
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Spetz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:20 pm

I looked into the ITB idea and as nice as it sounds I think it is more trouble than it's worth. It will cost way too much and may never run right. They offer impressive gains though.

The cams should not cost anyway near as much as RPW charges. I got a quote for $1,700AUD for custom cams from the same company that makes the RPW ones, and at the time their price was $2,500.
I think UK has cheaper car parts/labor, and with the strong Aussie dollar and somewhat weak British Pound, + shipping + taxes you should be able to get customs for half the price.

You have to ask some reputable cam makers in the UK. Don't forget you'd need valve springs too.
Spetz
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby breno58 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:26 pm

It really seems like getting any decent power while staying NA is going to cost a fortune id nearly be better just to slap a nice big turbo on it or install NOS :D
breno58
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Dragonheart » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:57 pm

Thats always been the way and has been discussed numerous times. Mivec engines are tuned by Mitsubishi, same as V-tec engines are tuned by Honda, to get the most out of them. If their engineers can't get extra out of them then its unlikely that anyone else will without dramatically changing the engine or adding something like turbo or supercharger to it.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby breno58 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Well in fairness vtec engines are well capable of producing a lot more power with work and performance parts are much easier got than for mivecs,

But you would think with a big 2L 24v V6 DOHC engine that it would be easy enough to squeeze more power from it but i guess not,

Looks like forced induction is the way to go.
breno58
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:53 pm

How does one go about gettin the fto fitted for nos?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:36 pm

I think icetronix in rathcoole does it.
You just going to blow the car if you get it :x. I would be very weary about nos
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:08 pm

Don't push the red button. :lol:
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Spetz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:02 pm

I think the 6A12 is a decent motor and reacts just as well to mods as VTEC motors.
The problem is is costs more money for the same parts :(
Spetz
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Next

Return to FTO Technical